A little disappointed with the . . . . .

TattooedMac

Co-op just can't happen.

Player 1 and Player 2 go to fight fluffy.

They kill fluffy

Player 1 is fine. Player 2 took a lot of damage, and needs to recover.

Player 2 goes to sleep for 8 hours.

What does player 1 do?

Player 1 steals from player 2 and/or kill player 2 :twisted:

Anyway, we clearly do know that there will never be MP and/or Co-Op and players should understand that :)

• 2 weeks later...

2. You want to make and promote a sub reddit

Just so this is out there - even though I'm a bit late to this discussion, I've been working on the subreddit and posting about it in other forums and around my school. As a result of that (and the efforts of others), we've gone from about 120 subscribers to about 350 in just over a week. Word is spreading and hopefully the community continues to grow :)

• 4 weeks later...
The players are preferring to get a finished game and not an EA

Hi all. Just quickly read through the forum/thread so sorry if I'm a little off topic, but it sounds like there's a discussion going on why the game's not too popular at the moment? Or why the forums are dead?

Astrea has a good point, I think. I'm a mostly a big fan of early release, but there's so much shovel and vaporware out there that it's hard to trust people. Especially if they don't have a working product. The way Long Dark currently stands, I'm amazed at how well it's put together. I can play the game for hours without it crashing on me, for instance. And I haven't really encountered any glitches, aside from some light visual stuff.

That said, even with Long Dark's great gameplay, visual style, and sound design, I think people are suspicious. The best example I can give is what happened with Spacebase DF-9 from DoubleFine. The forums were really, really active, devs would come in and ask people directly about the game, there was even a public session to help give ideas/design some space plants to be featured, and the updates were always loaded. Then one day they ran out of cash and everyone's hopes went straight into the toilet.

I hope this game turns out well. I love the direct connection between fans and developers, cutting out the publishers.

Co-op just can't happen.

They kill fluffy

What does player 1 do?

Minecraft made it work. all players must sleep at the same time. not sure if that can be applied here though

Co-op just can't happen.

They kill fluffy

What does player 1 do?

Minecraft made it work. all players must sleep at the same time. not sure if that can be applied here though

Its just isn't going to happen, because the mechanics of the game, weren't built to play as co-op, and there is far too much work to change the whole core game, to support it. At the end of the day, this is about a single man surviving.

In the Story mode there could be NPC's, but don't take that as gospel ;)

Co-op just can't happen.

They kill fluffy

What does player 1 do?

Its just isn't going to happen, because the mechanics of the game, weren't built to play as co-op, and there is far too much work to change the whole core game, to support it. At the end of the day, this is about a single man surviving.

In the Story mode there could be NPC's, but don't take that as gospel ;)

Fair enough. If the developers have said it can't happen due to mechanics then I believe it. Truthfully, I'd rather see progress for single player rather than resources going into multiplayer. As for the NPC's...weren't some founders from kickstarter promised to be "immortalized" in the game as NPCs?

NPCs are more or less announced and will come in the story mode.

But multiplayer .. I also don't see how coop could be made to work. And Raphael said in several videos that they wanted the game to be primarily a single player experience, because he knows too many people that gave up games like DaZ because they were not good enough, and were tired of getting killed by people better than them.

And I think that's what a lot of us like about this game. They actually enjoy that they are not forced to play multiplayer!

multiplayer discussions are everywhere! guys, you need to be alone to introduce yourself as a survivor. living with another person isn't count as surviving I think. there is a lot of to do with this game.

look at don't starve, they said they'll not bring any co-op or multiplayer feature. but they did everything about game, they added new features and lastly, when they finished everything about game and made it great, they started to work on multiplayer. as you know, don't starve together (co-op version) is on closed beta now.

I think this game's priority isn't multiplayer (for now)

I've been trying to get attention to the game by inviting friends and doing other things using social media. So far it seems like people just don't know about the game, but when I tell them, they are interested. In fact, I got my mom interested in the game! LOL! Anyways, I think word of mouth would be the best way to attract people to buy and support TLD. (I found out about the game by seeing a steam notification of one of my friends playing it. I was like hmm what's that and looked into it, and bought it, and loved it!)

Just to put my belated opinion in this converation:

I got the game 2-3 days after I saw it on Yogscast Hannah's channel, so the Youtube community most definitely has a beneficial effect on publicising the game IMHO. Let's plays are the quickest way to get people to buy a game, I think (unless you are talking about The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter, which I adored the let's plays of, but I knew the story by then and buying the game had no real purpose to me )

• 1 month later...
. . . . . . amount of member that are playing the game, and those that are active in the forums.

According to Steam, and the Global LeaderBoard there are at least 200 players playing the game, but we have less than 10% of that regular in the forum. These people would of been the Backers on KS, and personally thought there would would be more people telling us how it is.

We had a bigger following in the original Vanilla Hinterland home, so please people, come-on in and tell us what you think of the game. Good or bad, I'm sure Raph can take it, as he has punished us with his "Tuning" throughout the Pre-Alpha (we couldn't get past 5 days in the very first .v) and now the Alpha.

Im hoping that people with the EA Steam Access come here and Bug Report and chat, than the Steam Forums. @BillTarling spent a lot of time getting these forums up and go, so lets see some movement in here and spread the news.

Steam ~ Steam Early Access

Facebook ~ Hinterland Games Facebook

Twitter ~ Hinterland Games Twitter

I honestly can't complain about the way the game is right now. I look forward very much to new areas getting added but to be quite frank I feel like the game as it stands now was worth the money I put into it and I would be perfectly happy with the game being considered 'complete' where it is at right now. Out of all the early access games I have on Steam this is by far the best one I have ever experienced. Keep up the good work, guys. Can't wait to see what this already awesome game is like when it is finished.

• 1 month later...

Archived