Coolest random start

Amazombie

I just had a game that started me off at night time with 5 hrs of darkness left to go. I started at a clearing and was able to quickly find a cabin and sleep to warm up.

I've just randomly started a lot of times before and never seen that, its at latest 5 hrs of daylight. I thought it was cool, planes dont just crash in daytime.

Wondering what some other cool starts people have had.

I've had a few starts like that myself - Can be very jarring and extremely enjoyable. Apart from critical malfunctions that can absolutely occur during the day, I think a plane would definitely crash if all of its systems and machinery suddenly stopped working (geomagnetic craziness and all) ;)

My favorite continues to be under the broken bridge at Desolation Point, time of day irrelevant. Head in the cave slowly, quietly, so I can break two branches to get enough wood then start a fire and pull two torches out of it all without alerting Scruffy. Then drop one to block Scruffy from getting loose while I use the other to run up and discover a rifle and rounds which I promptly turn on the poor wolf. Lots of hides, guts, loot and a loaded rifle and not even one day has passed. Roast, boil, take a nap and I'm ready to head out and face the apocalypse.

But maybe that's too fast...

To be honest, I'd hate it if I started off that quickly. Gives me a greater sense of "Oh wow, I've actually done things," if it takes me multiple days to get through them. Leaves less time to wait about and more time to hunt things down like food.

One of my best deaths was the first time I started a game in the dark. I had about 9 hours of darkness ahead of me and was in the middle of nowhere (or so it seemed). I wandered around in the dark for a while and finally used my flare but could not find a building. I was getting cold so I harvested some wood (sticks and tree limbs etc were not introduced yet) and wanted to make a fire when I heard footsteps...

Before I could figure out from what direction the sound was coming, I heard growling and then a wolf charged me. Seeing those glowing eyes come at me in the dark... Man I nearly screamed! My condition had already dropped from freezing and I didn't have a knife, hatchet or even a prybar, so that wolf made short work of me (never was a fast clicker anyway). My shortest run ever I think, but man what an experience.

Early on I had a few starts at ML in a blizzard-you know where that ended-had my current run start under the broken bridge with 2 hours of daylight-was on my second try for the pacifist achievement (trying for a little spice)-so off to the processing center to loot-found rifle (couldn't use) but little food-long story short-made it out of DP on the edge of starvation-tippy toed around the wolves at Quonset in CH and finally broke over 25 days-went hunting with the bow and arrows that I crafted while being pacific and put the 4 wolves around Quonset on the ground-now going for silent hunter and the other one - eating only locally gathered food-forget the name. Still having fun-bring on the Story.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my most interesting starts was one of my first tries on Timberwolf Mountian. I had spawned higher up on the mountain in the middle of a snowstorm. I had no idea where I was and, more pressingly, where to find shelter. So I did what I think anyone would do in that situation: get off the mountain as fast as you can. I just kept running down hill whenever I could, desperately snatching up sticks and frantically squinting through the blinding snow for anyplace to get out of the storm.

To my surprise, my frost-bitten feet seemed to know where to go, since they found the route off the mountain and down into Pleasant Valley. I found the dilapidated shack at the bottom of the mountain and lit a fire in the stove to warm myself up. With the fire burning nice and hot, I rolled-out my sleeping bag and tried to get some rest and warmth for a few hours.

Unfortunately, the blizzard would not let up and I soon realized I did not have enough firewood to keep the fire going. So, after boiling up some mushrooms into a warm cup of tea, I braced myself and headed back out into the howling storm. I raced blindly down the slope, hoping to find a familiar landmark to orientate myself to safety with. But all I saw was the falling snow, the swaying trees, and the black void.

I was freezing again and my health was bellow 50%. I was almost ready to throw in the towel and start a new game, when out of the darkness I saw the silhouette of a cabin. The sense of joy and exhilaration I felt as I raced into the cabin could not be described in words. Too cold and weak to even think of scavenging the cabin for any warm clothes or cans of food, I clambered into the bed and slept as if I hadn't slept in years. :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived