Options for sandbox

Amazombie

First of all let me say, this... I know I can get better and challenge is part of the game. That being said, I play games to have fun. I find the easiest mode is almost too easy, yet the second mode I get a few days in and get eaten. I've fended off with flares etc, but i dont find it fun. However I like how clothing, hunger and thirst is harder to manage. So what i'm requesting is some other options for game config.

Animals - sliders for abundance and aggressiveness.

Weather - sliders for how often each kind of weather comes about

Carry weight - on/off or and increase in amount

Resource sliders - higher give more metal and fir wood, maybe more plants etc

Just a few ideas i think would make the game more configurable for those who want a custom challenge.

Thats really sad to hear. Adding a disable to achievements if you use sliders shouldnt be too hard to implement. I'm not sure why they would rule it out completely. At least give the overall community a voice in it would be cool. I dont mind giving up achievements to have a game i enjoy instead of getting having to play a mode that is frustrating to me or one that i restart after I get established.

On the other hand, the game with get waaaay too easy before you know it... as regards wolves, just start a fire between the wolf and your location, that will immobilise the wolf and you can shoot it.

Yeah I get that. And like I said, I know I can get better. Its just a personal preference is all. I work to work and I game to play and have fun. To me personally ( nothing against you or the way anyone else plays) the next step up is too much for it to be enjoyable to me.

Plus they can leave non sliders and achievements for say story mode, and options and sliders for sandbox.

• 3 weeks later...
First of all let me say, this... I know I can get better and challenge is part of the game. That being said, I play games to have fun. I find the easiest mode is almost too easy, yet the second mode I get a few days in and get eaten. I've fended off with flares etc, but i dont find it fun. However I like how clothing, hunger and thirst is harder to manage. So what i'm requesting is some other options for game config.

Just a few ideas i think would make the game more configurable for those who want a custom challenge.

Very weird idea to make sliders for difficulty.

A more logical option would just be an "n between difficulty setting or just make the second one a little easier.

Putting sliders on TLD is like painting over mona lisa, not gonna happen ever!!!!!! I'm sorry that you feel that way but be patient play it over and over again it will grow on you. You will master it and love it I promise you 100%. Remember patience is key here not rushing ahead killing everything like in other survival games.

Not gonna happen, I'm afraid. It would screw up the achievements and the devs have already declared that they won't do sliders... unfortunately. But achievements get more people to play the game = more monies. ^^

It's true the devs have refused a slider solution some time ago. But that does not mean they can't be swayed otherwise ;)

Look at other games like Klei's Invisible Inc. (which I recommend to all who like round-based strategy). That game has preset difficulty modes and another mode "custom game". This does not collide with Steam achievements, as the achievements (in Invisible) are tied to the different difficulty modes. In other words: You have to beat the game or achieve something else in a certain mode other than custom mode. This kind of system is the ultimate solution when it comes to catering to players of all sorts.

Personally, I tend to play games in the highest difficulty modes that are preset and don't use custom mode very often. But some people will enjoy customizing their game, especially if they are looking for atmosphere instead of a challenge.

• 5 weeks later...
...But achievements get more people to play the game = more monies. ^^

I would disagree with this completely...Don't Starve is a perfect example. There are no achievements at all in that game and it is incredibly popular. I would go so far as to say its popularity is in large part due to the extensive slider system included. (Which can make the game much much harder than the standard experience!) Workshop doesn't hurt either...

Personally I think its a mistake for the developers to dismiss this feature.

Its would be a sad sad day for gaming when something completely pointless and useless as achievements would be put in front of potentially beneficial game features in terms of design.

Generally the biggest amount of options and features game offers, with good balancing, the better/popular game is. Just look at Minecraft, that has graphics hailing from stone age, same with many many many indie projects. And at the same time industry "flagships"(more like shitships) that spend tens of millions on development and create "next-gen"(mostly by adding different graphical garbage like ambient occlusion and doing next to none optimization) garbage and then cry about how hard it is to be competitive on this market.

Game should always come first. And abundance of options always mean high replyability and that is cornerstone of any long-lasting game. Only after that different secondary junk like achievements should come into picture.

Let's roll this back a few to straighten the picture... just the facts here. :)

The devs have never pointed to acheivements as a reason to why they don't want to use sliders... that idea was only introduced in this thread ^

The reason stated here for not using sliders was that they feel responsible for providing the experience that they intend, rather than a toolbox for experiences.

I understand and respect that view--most games are not designed with multiple sliders for this reason (I suspect).

To want sliders is a fair enough request, but you may as well request the option to add a ghost slider for pacman. ;)

Reason reason reason reason reason reason guys come on!! Stop it! There is NO such reason. At all.

Story line it's story line! It's (it will be great no doubt) cool and it mast have only devs leveling of difficulty! "Reasonable".

Sandbox it's sandbox - it mast have what about we all saying

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=10004

= Sandbox replayability

= new experience

= no one is stopping developers to make a reasonable edition difficulty levels and that will be reasonable AND editionable!)))

And just think. If i want real HARDCORE wheather AGGRESSIVE animals POOR loot BUT in the world with more slower time!!! This can be reasonable?)))

Three diff\lvl only to create reasonable from unreasonable and for Alfa (player\tester stats for devs who can use it for more game balance in future).

Seems to me it's a business problem.

Story mode will be released in an episodic format.

If Story mode is better than Sandbox mode, people will buy the episodes when they come out.

Conversely, if Sandbox mode is better than Story mode, who's going to buy the episodes when they come out? Much fewer people.

So while Sandbox has the potential to be great, they need Story mode to be better. At least until people get invested in the story. Because if they can't sell the episodes . . . *poof* goodbye TLD, goodbye Hinterland.

Oh my oh my!

People buy what they want\can this is a main reason. Not stories or sandboxies. Not achives! )) But whole of it. Even buy they own dreams!))

Hundreds of thousands of gamers bought it already. For Alfa sandbox. 2014-2016 year man!

Definitely it's a business ! But who cares ? Definitely not gamers.

So you don't care about it too!))

Oh my oh my!

People buy what they want\can this is a main reason. Not stories or sandboxies. Not achives! )) But whole of it. Even buy they own dreams!))

Hundreds of thousands of gamers bought it already. For Alfa sandbox. 2014-2016 year man!

Definitely it's a business ! But who cares ? Definitely not gamers.

So you don't care about it too!))

I'm not exactly sure how to parse that post.

Archived