Yesterday I saw something magical

JErosion

Yesterday I saw something Magical while playing the long dark. I was on Mystery Lake coming out of some of the lake cabins heading back to the Camp Office, it was an hour of daylight left, the light was fading, the sky a splotchy yellow and it was snowing. When a sudden movement caught my eye. A Deer took off running a wolf in hot pursuit, However that wolf drove the Deer towards another wolf and then the second wolf also gave chase. Both of the wolves hit the deer at the same time. It was amazing.

The only low point of this experience, aside being too stunned to take a screenshot, was that only one wolf could take the prize and that the loser start to slowly patrol again. I really wish both could have fed off of same deer.

While the wolves in this game dont roam in packs, they could in fact mimic pack behavior, the way I saw them act while on the lake. When a wolf targets a deer(or player) it(the wolf) signals near by wolves within a certain distance to give chase, join in the fight or take a bite out of the spoils. It would make certain parts of the map very dangerous, or offer a chance at safety with all the wolves in the immediate area taking down bambi

Yesterday I saw something Magical while playing the long dark. I was on Mystery Lake coming out of some of the lake cabins heading back to the Camp Office, it was an hour of daylight left, the light was fading, the sky a splotchy yellow and it was snowing. When a sudden movement caught my eye. A Deer took off running a wolf in hot pursuit, However that wolf drove the Deer towards another wolf and then the second wolf also gave chase. Both of the wolves hit the deer at the same time. It was amazing.

The only low point of this experience, aside being too stunned to take a screenshot, was that only one wolf could take the prize and that the loser start to slowly patrol again. I really wish both could have fed off of same deer

This "pack behavior" happenes when two wolves reach (and thus kill) a deer at exactly the same time. Once happened to me as well, was quite amazing. Regarding a screenshot: Here you are. ;)

file.php?id=1140

When a wolf targets a deer(or player) it(the wolf) signals near by wolves within a certain distance to give chase, join in the fight or take a bite out of the spoils.

Not sure if a "hunting signal" would do much good, but I totally agree that every wolf that participated in a hunt should feed on the carcass afterwards. +1 to that. :)

• 2 weeks later...
This is not wolf behavior this is current AI where both wolves are following independent AI on the same objective.

What you just described is wolf behavior. It's typically called "emergent behavior" or design.

Adding a few simple basic rules will slowly create, sometimes unintended, behavior. It's a really good design practice especially when mimicking real life and it results in really maintainable code.

Archived