Add THERMOS inventory item

SonoftheThrone

Are you certain the hot beverage affects your coldness? it says it does however with careful checking the status before and after, I can't see a noticeable difference.

When you drink a hot drink, you get a +?C warmth bonus for some time. It doesn't raise the temp bar by itself, but it can be the different between being below 0C or above it or if you drink it before you are freezing, it can help stave off freezing for a while.

Are you certain the hot beverage affects your coldness? it says it does however with careful checking the status before and after, I can't see a noticeable difference.

When you drink a hot drink, you get a +?C warmth bonus for some time. It doesn't raise the temp bar by itself, but it can be the different between being below 0C or above it or if you drink it before you are freezing, it can help stave off freezing for a while.

It does have an impact. Will it make a huge difference, no. But it does make a difference. In the early game warming consumables (peaches, tomato soup, coffee, tea, medicinal teas) make a big difference. You have limited clothing options and what you do have probably has seen much better days. Being able to go from a >> to a > is a big freaking deal when you are ravenous. Going out in the "heat" of the day could take you from > to null, just by taking 10 min and making something hot to drink. In the late game I equate it to a thick wool undershirt. While I wear furs, I take about 4 lbs of clothing with me (and the bear bed roll) when I am in an exploration mode. I then put on and take off clothing to put me between null and >.

Once you are stocked up, hot consumables and warm underclothing are about equally useless. The furs are so good, you simply don't need them most of the time. Now if you go out during storms or like to wander the woods at night, every little bit helps.

+1 to the OP. I would love to see containers added.

+1 for a thermos! Now that its been mentioned...it does seem odd that in such a cold wilderness area with cabins, lodges & the like that we havent 'found' one yet. Surely someone somewhere had a thermos to stave off the cold. One would think it might even be a common item in most cabins, homes or lodges.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick HOT beverage reminder:

In the game, a beverage remains "hot" for literally less than a minute or so in real time. That is unrealistic in itself. Go heat up a cup of tea, coffee, what have you. Then place it in the freezer for 5 or 10 minutes. It won't be frozen in that time. Not only that, but it might even be "just right" for drinking....but it won't be "COLD" like the games defines a drink. Once your beverage is "cold", it loses its warming benefits in-game.

My point? If the developers decide against adding a thermos, AT LEAST increase the time that a beverage can remain "hot" before lowering in temperature. I have reason to believe that the current timeframe for beverages remaining hot is grossly underestimated.

SCENARIO:

You have a freshly brewed hot beverage. You start walking in the snow/blizzard. An in-game hour is quite long when regarding "hours of darkness left". Drinking a hot beverage should keep you warming up for at least 10 minutes, while carrying a hot beverage, the beverage should remain "hot" 20 minutes of game time. It could take you 20 minutes from point A to point B. It could be -14 degrees outside. Carrying multiple cups of hot "whatever" could save your life in-game. We should be able to use a beverage when we need it. Not be limited to a window of 60 seconds after brewing it. THAT is unrealistic and most importantly....not "fun"!

Thanks for all of the support; this could be another thread that Hinterland Studios might decide to incorporate into their game if we keep pouring into it!

This post has 535 views currently. I hope that Hinterland Studios takes notice that people seem to "have an interest" in this post. Would you agree that this should be enough attention to justify adding a thermos to the game's item list? :D

Archived