Jump or climb action required

nicko

I was playing the game then tried to jump on top of an over turned rail cart. not happening, looked at my Options > keys. hrm no jump function??

Why no jump? posted this idea in steam forum, few others had some good reasons, try jumping in 3 foot of snow with a back pack on.etc. Also they mentioned a climb function. Yes a climb function would be awesome.

A jump and climb function would be even more awesome!

With the jump option you would have to first take off you back pack if it is say over 20kg or heavier?

These features would open up a world of other features like finding hidden objects on roofs - trees, cliff edges etc.

just a thought.

I don't care for jumping, jumping in the snow is pointless but climbing would be great. With climbing have it as a skill. ie; you have an 80% chance of climbing this object, and it becomes harder to climb if your attributes are not in good standing.

I don't know precisely why, but I do love the idea of a removeable backpack. Getting the inventory UI right in that case would be a little tricky, but you'd have two inventories essentially (person, backpack) with backpack being the default and both displayed combined when wearing it (but transferrable between backpack and person too still while wearing).

Why?

So that dropping your backpack can be attached to a key. You'd do so quickly, and if you were previously encumbered you'd notice an immediate boost to your speed. Dropping everything but what you have "on person" could be a life-saver. And if you survive, and remember where you lost it, you can go back for the pack later.

I like these ideas too, more the climbing than the jumping though. Being able to climb trees to find bird's nests would be cool, or to temporarily escape from wolves/bears when completely surrounded from all directions.

Maybe though have an option on the Tab menu to take off the backpack, thus everything you have, except your clothes, just falls off. Then you can climb or even run faster if you're in desperation from exhaustion or predation.

In an actual survival situation, you DON'T jump or climb. You just don't. The risk of injury is too high, for whatever little you will gain. Whatever is up off the ground (stuff on a roof, birds nest in a tree, etc) is not worth the broken leg you would get from falling.

There is a saying: Don't step on what you can step over, and don't step over what you can step around"

I think the point of a jump is simply that we have all come across some 'foot high' obstacle, sticking out of the ground that was blocking our route, we then had to walk around it (in some cases this seemed needlessly labourous) .... Any other 1st person game there would be a button to either jump or climb over it.

I don't think people are requesting Ninja somersaults here!

A jump feature would be nice, it doesn't have to be much, just a tiny hop, to get over the little infinitesimal ridges that I find that in real life you would be able to step up on, but it registers as too high in game. Nothing amazing, unless you train for it, most people can't jump all that high anyways, definitely not like a lot of games have.

If climbing was added, I would suggest that the hazard of falling and breaking a limb and then dying would also become a hazard. People would learn pretty quick it isn't worth the risk of climbing, but you could still try it...

A jump feature would be nice, it doesn't have to be much, just a tiny hop, to get over the little infinitesimal ridges that I find that in real life you would be able to step up on, but it registers as too high in game. Nothing amazing, unless you train for it, most people can't jump all that high anyways, definitely not like a lot of games have.

If climbing was added, I would suggest that the hazard of falling and breaking a limb and then dying would also become a hazard. People would learn pretty quick it isn't worth the risk of climbing, but you could still try it...

It's extremely easy to get out of bounds or in places you aren't supposed to as it is. Their main concern is, I think, this would get worse with the addition of a jump feature. Climbing would make this a nightmare. So instead of having to redo all the maps and still failing to keep the player in bounds because speedrunners and rascals in general will always find a way, it's simpler to not have it and go around instead of jump.

I understand the climbing entirely! Its just frustrating to not be able to hop just a tad to get over that tiny lip, especially if I made it over one way, and retracing my footsteps, I can't make it back, because its just that high up.

I understand the climbing entirely! Its just frustrating to not be able to hop just a tad to get over that tiny lip, especially if I made it over one way, and retracing my footsteps, I can't make it back, because its just that high up.

Sure, I can understand that. It's something we'll just have to live without, at least for the moment. People are still getting stuck in the geometry and that's without a jump feature. On second thought, maybe jumping would help with getting out :lol:

The umpteenth time this has been request, and for the umpteenth time, I respond with:

How often do you jump to get around in real life? Do you use it as your staple method of transportation? no? I thought not.

The Hinterland team are trying to smooth out the maps and make it as walkable as possible. Adding the ability to jump does very little, as, if you right now jumped, you probably only have a clearance off the ground of perhaps 6-8 inches (15- 20 cm) which is very little, and has no functional purpose.

Manteling, however, IS useful, as it allows you to pull yourself up onto objects higher than yourself, and the developers can limit the use of it to predetermined areas and objects, so there is no danger of huge game breaking bugs occurring because you managed to catch Skyrim-syndrome and manage to shimmy your way over the other side of the western peak.

Manteling, however, IS useful, as it allows you to pull yourself up onto objects higher than yourself, and the developers can limit the use of it to predetermined areas and objects, so there is no danger of huge game breaking bugs occurring because you managed to catch Skyrim-syndrome and manage to shimmy your way over the other side of the western peak.

Yes but then there's the problem of doing it with a 30kg backpack. This applies for jumping too :lol:

Any genius who's gone walkabout in their locale usually throws their backpack over first, THEN climb over the obstacle.

I was talking about implementing this in the game if that wasn't obvious, I somehow doubt it's a trivial thing you code over the weekend.

Wow...I just want to step up over small, less then a foot high obstacles, not leap over builds or mountains or such. Bioware, king of the forever grounded eventually starting adding a hop or jump.

Given the terrain, and being outside, it seems only natural to at least step up, or hop over something less then a foot high. If it can not be mapped, fine, I get it.

clambering over something is a perfectly acceptable request, as is jumping across short gaps. For example, in a game where jumping about and clambering over stuff is essential, Thief pulls it off quite well:

https://youtu.be/stSNuDgONl0?t=16m32s

I'm not saying it shouldn't be added, but certain aspects of the game need to be looked at and say "does the ability to hop 6 inches add more to the game and is it worth the effort of implementation?"

If the game included use of hands to move about, that would work, but the lack of hands (and body model) makes that difficult

In reality you can jump and you can climb. If you were able to jump then it would add more depth into the game. The long dark is all about making choices...they dont have to be right or wrong. Example should I jump over that river or tree or should I go the further distance around. In survival you don't always know your doing something wrong. The Long Dark let's you learn from your mistakes. Does your character know what to do...because we know there not survival experts there more likely bush pilots. You make the decisions...you are the person....now I would jump over a obstructing tree but not jump a river with a sack. Both you could do but should you? This whole entire game is about making YOUR OWN decisions so in a survival situation Boston123 you might not know you shouldnt jump however did you know I have broken my leg from running down a hill in it...so why not jump and break a leg?

In reality you can jump and you can climb. If you were able to jump then it would add more depth into the game. The long dark is all about making choices...they dont have to be right or wrong. Example should I jump over that river or tree or should I go the further distance around. In survival you don't always know your doing something wrong. The Long Dark let's you learn from your mistakes. Does your character know what to do...because we know there not survival experts there more likely bush pilots. You make the decisions...you are the person....now I would jump over a obstructing tree but not jump a river with a sack. Both you could do but should you? This whole entire game is about making YOUR OWN decisions so in a survival situation Boston123 you might not know you shouldnt jump however did you know I have broken my leg from running down a hill in it...so why not jump and break a leg?

well said. more choices are good and as you say it's up to the user to use them or not - be it bad or a good result.

Archived