PSA: Bears can now kill you from 100% condition

EatenByWolves

To make a long story short, I took a 1hr nap outside to wait for the fog to clear with 100% condition, as soon as I woke up, a bear mauled me and instantaneously killed me. I was not given the 10% condition grace as I thought was guaranteed. This was probably updated in the patch after the bow update. I was on day 68 in stalker. I learned my lesson :(

It was hard to tell, it seemed like I finished sleeping, but it may have just been while I was sleeping. Another possibility is that since I was camping between pillars under a bridge to avoid potential wind it couldn't properly walk away so it just immediately attacked again, but it looked like one sequence either way it was terrible :/

Are you sure you didn't lose 10% condition due to freezing (or something else) before the bear attacked you?^^

i am 100% sure, my gear rating was 23/15 or something around there, and i was sleeping in a bed roll, though i should have used my bear one :/ was trying to save condition, found a spare.

also, the "feels like" was +8 when I fell asleep mind you this was mid day with no wind. it was simply foggy, so I wanted to ride it out by taking a quick 1 hr nap.

I was perfectly healthy, fed, rested, and hydrated. i could have probably survived 3 consecutive wolf attacks if absolutely necessary . I carry 3 old man dressings on me at any given point, though back to back it would be close

I'm thinking it may have just double attacked... but even then... it would have shown two animations of an attack wouldn't it?

Hm, in this case the devs have probably changed the bear's behavior patterns to add some chance of instant death... not sure if I'm happy about it.

I mean challenging bears are great for sure, but being killed without anything you can do about it seems a bit odd. Well, just one more reason to continue to propose pepper spray as an item to fend off bears in these kind of emergency situations.^^

Hm, in this case the devs have probably changed the bear's behavior patterns to add some chance of instant death... not sure if I'm happy about it.

I mean challenging bears are great for sure, but being killed without anything you can do about it seems a bit odd. Well, just one more reason to continue to propose pepper spray as an item to fend off bears in these kind of emergency situations.^^

I was playing on stalker, maybe they added it as a stalker only feature? if so I would approve if it had a % chance to instantly kill. lets face it. a bear is attacking you and essentially trying to eat you... it isn't like the majority of people in real life live through that. With the moderately docile behavior, the only real danger in bears is a- not seeing them and doing what I did and b- shooting them when you don't have cover.

I could see pepper spray added in as an item kind of like a flare with the odds of spawning on par with the fire striker. I have noticed spawn rates increase as the days go on, so it wouldn't be that unrealistic

might just be stalker played a long med game and was mauled many times( really really gota stop shooting them in the face with a bow at point blank it upsets them...) just lately and didn't happen to me

then maybe i'm just unlucky... or it might be related to sleeping.... whatever the case I was pretty sad when it happened :/ i had 0 ways to respond, i just woke up... and died

You should NEVER, EVER be able to walk away from a bear mauling. Realistically speaking, you're done.

I just take exception to the way bears are portrayed in game- bears are generally afraid of people. A mother bear with cubs would be out-of-control dangerous, but otherwise- bear encounters should be rare.

Besides that- shouldn't they be hibernating?

You should NEVER, EVER be able to walk away from a bear mauling. Realistically speaking, you're done.

I just take exception to the way bears are portrayed in game- bears are generally afraid of people. A mother bear with cubs would be out-of-control dangerous, but otherwise- bear encounters should be rare.

Especially Black bears, which are the type we have in-game.

Not to say that Black bears can't be, or are not, dangerous, but according to this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_atta ... lack_bears), most Black bear attacks are not "as deadly" when compared to Brown bear attacks, and most of the time, Black bears won't attack humans when confronted. They prefer to try to scare the human away, vs attacking right off the bat.

Also, while Black bear attacks are more motivated by hunger than territory, this also means that you can fight off a black bear much more easily, and with much more success, than a Brown Bear.

In the case of a mother bear with cubs, you're probably right. But in general, it depends on why the bear is attacking you. A bear that attacks because you spooked it may very well leave without harming you too greatly. There are countless stories of people surviving bear attacks, including black bear attacks.

I have yet to see a bear with cubs in TLD, so surviving a bear attack is at least plausible. Also, gameplay wise it is not in the best interest of the game to make a bear attack a certain death.

Please don't start another "Wolves don't behave that way in real live" with "wolves" substituted with "bears". TLD is a game, not real life. It also gives a reason for why the animals behave differently from what you would expect in real life: the geo-magnetic dissaster. It's even in the disclaimer.

Please don't start another "Wolves don't behave that way in real live" with "wolves" substituted with "bears". TLD is a game, not real life. It also gives a reason for why the animals behave differently from what you would expect in real life: the geo-magnetic dissaster. It's even in the disclaimer.

Doesn't mean I cannot dislike the whole "animal hostility" mechanic in general, or explain why I do not like it.

I believe it is an issue with the "modern gamers" mindset, if you will: needing an enemy to fight and kill. I've read on this forum that there were originally more "realistic" day-lengths (read: 6-8 hours of daylight), but they were changed to the current 15-or-so hours when testers complained about things being "too hard". Meanwhile, Stalker mode is characterized by an entirely-unreasonable number of hyper-aggressive wolves.

The main danger in this game is the wolves (and, to a lesser extent, the bears). Of all my deaths, only one has been due to actual environmental danger: I died of hypothermia when sleeping in a cave (which, in and of itself was annoying. More on that in another thread). ALL of the rest were due to wolf attacks. To me, this sucks all of the verisimilitude out of the game. No "Man vs nature" themes, no "difficult choices" ("do I try to reach the next shelter, even though night might fall before I get there?", "do I shelter-in-place for a few days, or do I press onwards with this sprained ankle, because there is no food here?" etc)

Instead, we have animals where their sole purpose (aside from aimlessly wandering (AKA not a purpose) and killing deer for the player to scavenge from) is to antagonize the player They don't have a life of their own, they don't interact with each other, or with the environment (none of the animals do, AFAIK, they just constantly wander, even in a blizzard). No sheltering from the weather, no banding together to take down other animals, just sheer, mindless antagonism.

All because the environment isn't a good enough threat. Instead of blizzards that last for a week or more, temperatures in the -60s, 6 hours of daylight, realistic and in-depth temperature mechanics (AKA sweating) actual difficult choices to make, you know, actual survival, with immersion and charisma, instead, we get a never- abating, respawning, constantly patrolling (with routes that can be memorized!), mindless stream of needlessly-antagonistic animals that exist solely to kill and be killed by the player.

Disappointing, in my opinion. This doesn't mean I don't like TLD, or don't think it is one of the best survival games that have played. I just do not like, agree with, or understand the need for this level of mindless antagonism from the animals in-game.

Again, in my opinion, the game would be much more improved if it was more realistic, in almost every way. Lower temperatures, threatening weather, no senseless item-degradation mechanic (why items degrade after you touch them, I will never understand), and realistically-behaving animals (wolf packs, sheltering from the weather, shadowing players in their territory, only attacking if the player in injured or close to the den, etc)

Doesn't mean I cannot dislike the whole "animal hostility" mechanic in general, or explain why I do not like it.

I believe it is an issue with the "modern gamers" mindset, if you will: needing an enemy to fight and kill. I've read on this forum that there were originally more "realistic" day-lengths (read: 6-8 hours of daylight), but they were changed to the current 15-or-so hours when testers complained about things being "too hard". Meanwhile, Stalker mode is characterized by an entirely-unreasonable number of hyper-aggressive wolves.

The main danger in this game is the wolves (and, to a lesser extent, the bears). Of all my deaths, only one has been due to actual environmental danger: I died of hypothermia when sleeping in a cave (which, in and of itself was annoying. More on that in another thread). ALL of the rest were due to wolf attacks. To me, this sucks all of the verisimilitude out of the game. No "Man vs nature" themes, no "difficult choices" ("do I try to reach the next shelter, even though night might fall before I get there?", "do I shelter-in-place for a few days, or do I press onwards with this sprained ankle, because there is no food here?" etc)

Instead, we have animals where their sole purpose (aside from aimlessly wandering (AKA not a purpose) and killing deer for the player to scavenge from) is to antagonize the player They don't have a life of their own, they don't interact with each other, or with the environment (none of the animals do, AFAIK, they just constantly wander, even in a blizzard). No sheltering from the weather, no banding together to take down other animals, just sheer, mindless antagonism.

All because the environment isn't a good enough threat. Instead of blizzards that last for a week or more, temperatures in the -60s, 6 hours of daylight, realistic and in-depth temperature mechanics (AKA sweating) actual difficult choices to make, you know, actual survival, with immersion and charisma, instead, we get a never- abating, respawning, constantly patrolling (with routes that can be memorized!), mindless stream of needlessly-antagonistic animals that exist solely to kill and be killed by the player.

Disappointing, in my opinion. This doesn't mean I don't like TLD, or don't think it is one of the best survival games that have played. I just do not like, agree with, or understand the need for this level of mindless antagonism from the animals in-game.

Again, in my opinion, the game would be much more improved if it was more realistic, in almost every way. Lower temperatures, threatening weather, no senseless item-degradation mechanic (why items degrade after you touch them, I will never understand), and realistically-behaving animals (wolf packs, sheltering from the weather, shadowing players in their territory, only attacking if the player in injured or close to the den, etc)

Oh,oh,oh...my frend...if you could just be aware,how wrong you are. :( :roll:

Since last few updates and Hotfixes,wolves act and behave so much realistic and there is so many different reactions.Also bears do react various for certain situations.

Wolves DO have their own life in game,wolves DO interract within pack of three,wolves DO seek for shelters,if they are in vicinity of any....

I spend alot of time in game just watching and observing wildlife and nature,weather,sound,music,..everything,what game can offer.I admire such awesome and complex mechanics,developers put in game.There are so many small details,which can fascinate.

Boston123,I wish you could relax in game and really enjoy in it.Most of players,who dies from wolf or bear attack,dies coz their own mistakes,wrong judgement and decisions.But,main thing for failure in game is IMPATIENCE. :) Many players just rush trough game,considering TLD game as "tools collectible" game,not pure survival game.Game itself gives alot of warnings,but many players just ignore them and most of time just blindly run straight into wolve`s jaws. :)

In my current run in stalker mode,I am at day 69,exploring only CH map.I was attacked only once by wolf,and even that was because I was testing new crouching mechanics.I encourage all players to use crouching,when avoiding wolves and bears.This additional mechanics ia awesome and it greatly helps to avoid confronting with wildlife,even from quite close distance.Crouching also lowers detection range from wolf,even if you carry raw meat!

So,my advice,dear frend: Do not rush in game.Take your time.Listen to sounds in game,observe,scout,before you move to desired location.Always travel in good weather and try avoid early morning trips.Study behavior and paths of wolves,bears.Learn,learn,learn.And do not ignore any sign in game.Be patient.I really wish you will master this great game,and start enjoying in it.Because game is beautyfull and stunning,just need to pay attention on every detail.

I wish you good luck in game and many exciting moments. :)

I take exception to this dull topic being brought up again. It's tired, it's old and no amount of talking about it is going to change anything. It's like complaining about how ghosts are presented in Pac-Man.

The weird stuff that took out all electrical equipment and caused summer to not appear anymore could also have affected the animals of course ;)

That is what happened, according to the intro page that loads up when you start the game.

It is referred to as a "Geomagnetic" event.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_magnetic_field

The thing is, the only animals that would actually be effected by the loss/disruption of geomagnetism would be animals that rely on the Earth's magnetic field for navigation, like Dolphins and Whales, almost all Ungulates, and almost all birds. Animals that don't would be much less effected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetoception

The thing is, in all of that page, I never read anything that suggests that animals will become mindless, frothing berserkers when the magnetic field is disrupted. Confused, frightened, maybe, which in and of itself could lead to attacks, but they wouldn't lose their minds or lose pack mentality.

While it certainly makes sense for the disruption of the geomagnetic field to be why there is no power (and I actually like and agree with that rationale), its explanation for the animal-berserkers falls short, IMO.

It feels like a cop-out

The thing is, the only animals that would actually be effected by the loss/disruption of geomagnetism would be animals that rely on the Earth's magnetic field for navigation, like Dolphins and Whales, almost all Ungulates, and almost all birds. Animals that don't would be much less effected.

I totally agree that a geomagnetic event (alone) would almost certainly not cause wolves to be more aggressive than usually. I've thus decided (just for my own peace of mind^^) that they most likely also suffer from a sudden rabies outbreak. The game doesn't tell us about anything like that, but it doesn't exclude this possibitity either.

I mean think about it, the current wolf behavior fits an early rabies infection quite well (enhanced aggression, aimless wandering, hunting prey even if they're not hungry, lack of pack behavior, lack of fear regarding humans).

Maybe the Devs should consider to officially declare all wolves rabies-infected in the disclaimer to stop the constant complains about their "unnatural" behavior.

Butchering and eating rabies infected animals isn't really the smartest thing to do :P

It is a virus. ALL viruses are killed via exposure to high enough heat. So long as the meat was cut thin, cooked well, and you avoid meat close to the bone and "organ meats", you would be fine.

Butchering and eating rabies infected animals isn't really the smartest thing to do :P

It is a virus. ALL viruses are killed via exposure to high enough heat. So long as the meat was cut thin, cooked well, and you avoid meat close to the bone and "organ meats", you would be fine.

The problem is that you'd be likely to get it from butchering the corpse already, unless maybe you'd wait until it was frozen and chopped it up with an axe.

I have asked this before and its a fair question-- what if this isn't a normal winter? if winter was extended for some reason, the bears would eventually wake up. And they would be hungry!

Anyway, many more people walk away from bear attacks than are killed by them.

The problem is that you'd be likely to get it from butchering the corpse already, unless maybe you'd wait until it was frozen and chopped it up with an axe.

Why? Because you cut yourself while butchering?

Rabies is usually transmitted through bites (AKA saliva), not through blood contact. Which is why we use ranged weapons to kill animals.

I have asked this before and its a fair question-- what if this isn't a normal winter? if winter was extended for some reason, the bears would eventually wake up. And they would be hungry!

Anyway, many more people walk away from bear attacks than are killed by them.

Yet another reason why I so strongly dislike the current animals mechanic.

The average adult human weighs as much, if not more, than the average adult wolf. That, in and of itself, is a strong blessing in combat. Add to that our flexibility and our ability to use weapons at multiple ranges, and I am fully confident in the abilities of an average human being to be able to fight off the average wolf in combat. Would it be easy? No. Would you get away without injuries? Possibly. The wolf only has 1 weapon: teeth, while you have 2: your hands and your brain. So long as you use the second to supplement the first, you can effectively neutralize the wolf sole method of attack.

Wolves should only really be dangerous in groups, or singly to injured individuals

I also dislike how the character falls over as soon as the wolf attacks, eliminating ALL the advantages of bipedal stance and movement, as well as exposing all the vital intestines to the wolf. We can move pretty easily through the snow, so I see no real reason why we can't juke to the side (eliminating most of the force out of the charge), or even move into the charge, to force the wolf back.

And, if the winter has been extended, then we have much more important things to worry about than our own survival. Such as : what is the new growing season? How far south does the ice now extend? What has happened to the ocean currents? Humanities' survival as a whole?

Archived