Doorway Bear Mauling/ no damage

ernestww

Strange thing happened at trappers. I shot a bear from just out side the door of trappers. As it trundled up the path all aggro'ed, I shot it again and clicked on the door to avoid the inevitable mauling. Although I had clicked on the door, the mauling sequence played anyway, but at the end I was just plopped inside the cabin having received no damage.

Ended up with dead bear conveniently one meter from door.

Most likely not a bug (but one of the team can confirm) - more likely just set as one of the "close calls" as with the wolves... second longer you would have been mauled, but you made it inside just at the last second... Animation was set to go off anyhow to give players a feeling of how close they escaped.

I don't know. If he received no damage, the mauling scene shouldn't occur. A video shouldn't 'show' him how close he escaped, he already knows...he was there. No disrespect, but it really does sound like a glitch to me. I do like it though, when the wolves sound like they're really tearing at you as you transition into a building. THAT really gives you a feeling of a close call. cheers

If a wolf is chasing you, try entering a vehicle. It doesn't show attack animation. It's not the same as entering houses and buildings. Instead the wolf turns away instantly right when you enter a vehicle. I've noticed it many times while playing in Coastal Highway.

I haven't been able to test this myself, but apparently there is something odd going on if entering a building while bear is already in full attack, but haven't yet managed to maul You:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/4/611704730323171494/#c611704730323333988

I watched that part of video where Sandman spent a day or two sleeping and time to time checked if the bear had left, but no... bear spent the whole time just outside the door, waiting untill Sandman finally had to leave the house. Then bear got the chance to finish the attack sequence and once given a proper mauling, only then we see bear leaving.

I watched that part of video where Sandman spent a day or two sleeping and time to time checked if the bear had left, but no... bear spent the whole time just outside the door, waiting untill Sandman finally had to leave the house. Then bear got the chance to finish the attack sequence and once given a proper mauling, only then we see bear leaving.

I had the same problem (without the mauling screen) recently at a house near coastal town (CH map). A bear stayed for more than 12h near the doorstep and refused to leave. When I started to run out of water, I decided to try to get away as things wouldn't get better for sure. Fortunately, I was lucky and could escape the beast unharmed (I dropped two decoys, maybe that helped). If those besieging bears aren't a bug but a feature, I'd like to congratulate the devs even more on their awesome bear AI! It was really a scary experience to be trapped inside, great fun! :D

On a similar note, there definitely is a bug with the bear AI at buildings/terrain it can't get through.

I've noticed on some of my recent playthroughs a bear sometimes roams around the PV farm, if you aggro it and hide in the derelict building (the most sheltered part) by the silo, it will just stand in the doorway for what seems like an eternity (untested).

Now, more importantly. I shot it in the face. Then... nothing happened. Bear continued to stand in doorway. So I shot it in the face again... nothing happened, bear seemed pretty chill. So i shot it in the face again and.. well, it died.

Not the best story. But definitely if a bear/animal is injured and cannot reach its 'target' due to impassable terrain, it should get the hell out of dodge.

I'll check it out. Not sure if Bears are suppose to maul but do no damage when entering a building. I'll get a for sure answer on a bi there. As for the Bear not being able to enter certain areas, probably a pathing issue. Certain buildings have a buffer around them for collision purposes, could be the bear is to large to fit through it even though those outbuildings are fairly large. I'll check that out to see if that is indeed the case here.

Jeremy

Certain buildings have a buffer around them for collision purposes, could be the bear is to large to fit through it even though those outbuildings are fairly large.

So in other words don't be surprised if you wake up in the farmhouse one morning and hear "Somebody's been eating my porridge, and somebody's been sleeping in my bed" :P

Most likely not a bug (but one of the team can confirm) - more likely just set as one of the "close calls" as with the wolves... second longer you would have been mauled, but you made it inside just at the last second... Animation was set to go off anyhow to give players a feeling of how close they escaped.

I understand the urge to explain away anything that might be an issue, but that just sounds too far fetched to be true.

I was in coastal highway and saw the bear[spoil]near the Bear Creek Campground[/spoil]I shot it once and when it began its charge I retreated to the lone cabin west of [spoil]the fishing camp[/spoil]I got inside and the bear mauling cutscene began. When it was over, my condition was unchanged but my clothes had lost about 50% or more of their condition. Not sure of the intent, but if my clothes lost condition and I did not, it seems something is not behaving as designed.

I got inside and the bear mauling cutscene began. When it was over, my condition was unchanged but my clothes had lost about 50% or more of their condition. Not sure of the intent, but if my clothes lost condition and I did not, it seems something is not behaving as designed.

I just reproduced the mauling cutscene bug accidentally with another bear and another building.

[spoil]The trailer & bear north of the coastal town in CH.[/spoil]

Everything happened as described by tog89 - mauling cutscene although I was already on the trailer loading screen (thus "inside"), clothes ruined, condition at 100%.

Archived