The possibility of turning off chest death

Coldman

So today I experimented the the cheat death mechanic today and let's just say that I am a perma death lover. On the stalker difficulty I deliberately ran out of all of my lives today to see what the option is like in action.

I started in blackrock because I'm wanting to start somewhere different and I usually don't start in regions whare the fucking wolfs track your location as soon as they see you and will never leave you alone no matter how many hours wait on top of a hill, but that is neither here of there. I was surprised by spawn options would be so far reaching. 

The main suggestion I wanted to make for the devs is to make cheat death togglable in either the custom difficulty setting or to put the button in the accessibility options. I'm sorry if this has already been suggested 

Hinterland have said it will become optional in a future update (presumably like Scurvy, it will be a feature you can turn on and off even without using Custom difficulty), they left it like this for now because they want people to try using it.

"well, I respawned in blackrock, guess I'll just die" seems to be a pretty common piece of feedback so far, so you're not alone.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure I understand why BR is feared so much, tbh. Level up some, go there, make / stock a base or two, and take note of where TW hang (sneak on them, kill one to get rid of the pack). I'm not saying it's the dream life, or always easy, but I find it definitely manageable (on Voyageur).

I managed to die twice (!!!) because I was an idiot, eventually respawned in BR, and the bases I had there, plus the ballistic vest, made it possible for me to survive.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, PilgrimReaper said:

I'm not sure I understand why BR is feared so much, tbh. Level up some, go there, make / stock a base or two, and take note of where TW hang (sneak on them, kill one to get rid of the pack). I'm not saying it's the dream life, or always easy, but I find it definitely manageable (on Voyageur).

I managed to die twice (!!!) because I was an idiot, eventually respawned in BR, and the bases I had there, plus the ballistic vest, made it possible for me to survive.

BRM (Blackrock Mountain- as opposed to BR- Broken Railroad) in Stalker is a bit tougher. Not "feared" but not a region I want to hang out in for a long time. Lots of toothy things that want to kill me, lots of choke points where they wait to ambush me, poison gas hazards that can kill me, loot that (by the time I am kitted out to go there and survive/thrive) I probably already have a good deal of (besides the ballistic vest- which I honestly don't use and hate lugging around). It has some truly beautiful views, and a distinctive character of its own. I do enjoy it somewhat in Pilgrim or Voyageur, but since I play mostly Stalker, the larger Timberwolf pack sizes, the Timberwolf Morale being more difficult to break, the increased number of regular wolves, the increased number of blizzards and bad weather in general, along with other many other differences between Pilgrim > Voyageur > Stalker default settings- BRM just isn't my favorite region to visit and loot, or to spend a lot of time in. I try to get in and out asap.

I think saying it is "feared" is maybe not the best term. Perhaps "disliked" or "avoided" would be a better way to describe it for me and for some other players, (while others love the place!). I did enjoy it in Episode 4 of Wintermute because of its unique character and challenges (and no permadeath), but I don't enjoy it anywhere near as much in Survival mode (in any experience mode). One of the main reasons I go there is if I start a new save and spawn into a region that connects to it, and I want to go grab the Noisemaker recipe in early game.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

BRM (Blackrock Mountain- as opposed to BR- Broken Railroad) in Stalker is a bit tougher. Not "feared" but not a region I want to hang out in for a long time. Lots of toothy things that want to kill me, lots of choke points where they wait to ambush me, poison gas hazards that can kill me, loot that (by the time I am kitted out to go there and survive/thrive) I probably already have a good deal of (besides the ballistic vest- which I honestly don't use and hate lugging around). It has some truly beautiful views, and a distinctive character of its own. I do enjoy it somewhat in Pilgrim or Voyageur, but since I play mostly Stalker, the larger Timberwolf pack sizes, the Timberwolf Morale being more difficult to break, the increased number of regular wolves, the increased number of blizzards and bad weather in general, along with other many other differences between Pilgrim > Voyageur > Stalker default settings- BRM just isn't my favorite region to visit and loot, or to spend a lot of time in. I try to get in and out asap.

I think saying it is "feared" is maybe not the best term. Perhaps "disliked" or "avoided" would be a better way to describe it for me and for some other players, (while others love the place!). I did enjoy it in Episode 4 of Wintermute because of its unique character and challenges (and no permadeath), but I don't enjoy it anywhere near as much in Survival mode (in any experience mode). One of the main reasons I go there is if I start a new save and spawn into a region that connects to it, and I want to go grab the Noisemaker recipe in early game.

This is actually the first time I pick up / use the ballistic vest! Which is one of the reasons why I think cheat death is a success / an interesting addition to the game.

Funny that you make no mention of the ammunition workbench at all... as much as I don't really mind jumping through the hoops to get there in BI, this one is so much easier to get in and out of.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PilgrimReaper said:

Funny that you make no mention of the ammunition workbench at all... as much as I don't really mind jumping through the hoops to get there in BI, this one is so much easier to get in and out of.

I go to BI for the ammo workbench, to be honest. 2 to choose from, I choose BI. What works for me may not work for you, what works for you may not work for me. If there was only one ammo workbench and only one forge in the game world, we would all choose the same one. But- we have choices. You like BRM, I don't. So it isn't funny that I don't mention it in BRM- I don't go to BRM to use it, I go to BI to use the one there. I don't mind the parkour to get to it. And the Timberwolves in BI are easier to predict and deal with for my personal playstyle in Stalker than the ones in BRM are.

As far as Cheating Death goes (bringing this back to the thread topic)- being able to toggle the option on or off at game start would be fine, though I have no issues with it as it is. But I get that folks who don't want to use it at all might be happier if they could just make the choice at the start of a new run, so that being an option in the main menu (not as a Custom Setting only- which would affect Feat progression) or at the start of a new save (the way the Cougar option was when it was in the game) makes sense.

On 9/15/2024 at 12:04 PM, PilgrimReaper said:

Its far away, full of the worst predators in the game, with not much to gain from going there in interloper. Same as BI except BI is sort of close.