Timberwolves and wolves should be merged into one

Ghurcb

Timberwolves are regular wolves but better. Their AI seems more interesting, they have this cool "morale" system, and they act more like actual irl wolves.

So why didn't they become the default? Why are there still those boring predictable lone wolves walking around most regions? Well, if you tried to survive in Bleak Inlet or Blackrock, you know very well that timberwolves are a pain in the ass to deal with. It's close to impossible to survive in those regions without having firearms and a lot of extra ammo.

I think, this problem can be easily fixed if you just merge two varieties of wolf into one.

These new wolves would act like normal wolves when alone. They follow you slowly if you carry no meat, attack if you get too close, and they are easily scared off with fire. But if at any point you are being trailed by three or more wolves, they howl, the morale meter appears on the screen, and they start acting exactly like timberwolves. Circling you, biting, not being easily scared off, because they know there is strength in numbers.

This would fix the weaknesses of both timberwolves and wolves. Timberwolves are annoying because they spawn in groups, and if you see one, there's two, three and four somewhere near ready to reduce the number of marine flairs and revolver cartridges you carry. Standard wolves are weak and boring because they just follow you slowly, so if you don't stop, you can just ignore them. But this way, if one wolf is going after you, you have to address it quickly, before more of them spot you and the situation escalates.

What do you think? Should there still be a distinction between the two wolf types, or should their mechanics be combined?

• Upvote 3

It's a great suggestion. The normal wolf AI could use some touching up. I'd be in favor of changing the wolves' behavior when others are nearby. The way they stop and growl while another approaches you is kind of silly. Sometimes they don't know what to do and just starting walking around in circles lol. 

I agree that black wolves should work together if several are nearby. But I'd still like them to be separate wolf types; black wolves and timberwolves. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Not opposed to the general idea, but I hate the timberwolf behavior as it is. The crazy running around, and then running away the millisecond you aim at them is not fun. Both types' behavior would need to be adjusted  a lot for this.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Not opposed to the general idea, but I hate the timberwolf behavior as it is. The crazy running around, and then running away the millisecond you aim at them is not fun. Both types' behavior would need to be adjusted  a lot for this.

Oh yes, I think timberwolves should bite you less and struggles against them should be more common. And if you win the struggle, the one you fought loses all morale and runs away, as black wolves do

Edited by Ghurcb
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Pencil said:

I agree that black wolves should work together if several are nearby. But I'd still like them to be separate wolf types; black wolves and timberwolves. 

Sure, but then the difference between the two types would be minimal. The point of timberwolves is that they work in packs, so the same effect could be achieved by spawning these "new wolves" in big groups in Bleak Inlet and Blackrock.

10 minutes ago, rush247 said:

There's actually a mod that changes wolf spawns to timberwolf.  "Timberwolves Anywhere," maybe not exactly the same thing as you describe but it certainly makes the game harder.  You can find it in the mod library here.

https://xpazeman.com/tld-mod-list/index.html

Which is awesome for people who have the game from Steam or Epic (on PC). But does nothing for people who have the game on any of the console platforms it is on. I can mod my game on my Steam copy of the game, but I can't mod my game on Switch or XBox- where I also have the game. Mods are great, but they don't provide a solution for people who game on consoles who have no access to third party mods.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Which is awesome for people who have the game from Steam or Epic (on PC). But does nothing for people who have the game on any of the console platforms it is on. I can mod my game on my Steam copy of the game, but I can't mod my game on Switch or XBox- where I also have the game. Mods are great, but they don't provide a solution for people who game on consoles who have no access to third party mods.

Mods on steam's tld page are dumb as a whole, only really language mods, the page doesnt give any mods, like the popular place anywhere mod etc, so we have to gamble with sketchy websites and melonloader

1 hour ago, K3V038 said:

Mods on steam's tld page are dumb as a whole, only really language mods, the page doesnt give any mods, like the popular place anywhere mod etc, so we have to gamble with sketchy websites and melonloader

And Steam Workshop mods would only help people playing on a Steam copy of the game. There's a Modding subforum on Steam now, where people can talk about third party mods the same way they do here. And the language localization mods on Steam helped a lot of people early on in the game, when the game did not have as many localizations baked in like it has now. So I wouldn't call them "dumb"- that's a little bit rude to the community members who took the time to translate the game and publish those localization mods for *free*.

All that off topic stuff said- mods still don't help change the game the way the OP wants for anyone not playing on PC.

Edited by ThePancakeLady
typonese, of course
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, K3V038 said:

Please be respectful about others..  most if not all mod creators are members of this community who do them for free .  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Please be respectful about others..  most if not all mod creators are members of this community who do them for free .  

I know, im not really saying anything bad about the mods or the moders themselves, just that the steam page for the long dark only supports language mods, where as for example project zomboid has all the mods in the steam page, so you can directly download and use them, without going to sketchy websites...

3 minutes ago, K3V038 said:

I know, im not really saying anything bad about the mods or the moders themselves, just that the steam page for the long dark only supports language mods, where as for example project zomboid has all the mods in the steam page, so you can directly download and use them, without going to sketchy websites...

Fair enough,but please just be careful how you phrase things😊

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Actually Epic doesn't allow mods on almost every game, part of their anti-cheat protocols.

On 6/21/2024 at 1:24 PM, rush247 said:

There's actually a mod that changes wolf spawns to timberwolf.  "Timberwolves Anywhere," maybe not exactly the same thing as you describe but it certainly makes the game harder.  You can find it in the mod library here.

https://xpazeman.com/tld-mod-list/index.html

I would install it, but frankly, I'm not the biggest fan of Timberwolves the way they are right now. If you encounter just one, it runs away. If you encounter a bunch, you're in big trouble instantly. With this suggestion I'm aiming for a middle ground.