Flight plans?

Does anyone else ever wonder where the summit and pv planes were going?    I can't remember if it was mentioned in episode 3 or not ..   

I was at the pv crash this morning and again I wondered what the passengers had actually packed for lol..

• Upvote 3

You know, I never really thought about where the big planes were headed to or from. I only create my own story about where my survivor was coming from and what their reason for being on the island was (and I always think of them as being a survivor of one of the smaller plane crashes).

Polar routes have always been a thing, and we don't really get any lore on the big planes in Wintermute, only that there are survivors who made it to Thompson's Crossing (and we have to go find some of the ones that didn't quite make it there). 

It's a good question, and now I might just have to start thinking of new stories for my Survival mode runs to put my character on one of the big planes, though it's a bit tough since we don't know much about where GBI is, other than Northern/Northwestern Canada. Alaska to NYC, maybe? The UK to Seattle via a polar route? Most luggage we find has a mix of cold-weather clothing and dress shirts and leather shoes, but mostly stuff I think of as being for a colder destination than say, California. Maybe Ontario to Vancouver, or Toronto to Moscow or Tokyo. It would be interesting to find out if there was any h thought put into this when the game was first conceived of and Raph and Alan were dreaming up the story.

• Upvote 3

As far as I can tell they're both facing south/southeast..that could of course be off given the maps and our perceptions are different.

And they could have drastically veered off during crashing.. 

But it would be neat to know if @Raphael van Lierop had indeed thought about that when it was added..

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

It's better if people make up their own minds and stories about where this plane came from. And more fun for us. 😇

I take your point......theres nothing like a good conspiracy theory😁 

My first thought.... Given one plane was full of equipment and the other passengers,I think they were both headed to forsaken..  there to be taken off to the mines as rudigers next victims ,only to get scuppered by the effects of the machine.....

I need more caffeine 😁

• Upvote 3

My guess would be, for the 2 larger planes (TWM & PV), that neither their destination nor departure points were Great Bear.  I suppose FA's airstrip would be large enough to accommodate those planes; although, those are BIG planes.  I would venture to guess that there were malfunctions which led to the crashes of those 2 planes, especially PV since the elevation is much lower than the summit of TWM.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

My guess would be, for the 2 larger planes (TWM & PV), that neither their destination nor departure points were Great Bear.  I suppose FA's airstrip would be large enough to accommodate those planes; although, those are BIG planes.  I would venture to guess that there were malfunctions which led to the crashes of those 2 planes, especially PV since the elevation is much lower than the summit of TWM.

I did wonder if they would be too big for forsaken ...

• Upvote 1

🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓

In general, every missing plane, be it the Mackenzie's plane or the plane from episode 3, should be searched by the National Transportation Safety Board, and theoretically, on a populated island not very far from the mainland it should be found the next day. And if we look at the crash site of the plane from episode 3, then obviously we can say that the plane fell with the engines turned off, and successfully enough at low speed to split into 3 parts, and not turn into a mountain of debris, which testifies to the skill of the pilots, who to the last fought for the plane. If we talk about the reasons for engine failure, then a lack of fuel comes to mind, but as we remember from episode 3, a large fire broke out, which means there was fuel. Based on the lore of our favorite game, the culprit is a geomagnetic storm, then most likely there is a complete failure of all the electronic systems of the aircraft, which led to the engine stopping. Well, the earth's magnetic field would have to be very naughty for the induced field to be enough to disable electronics, which indicates a quiet opacalypse that is happening on earth.

🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓

Edited by Deer RudolF
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

By the way, I don’t want to adjust the game to the framework of the real world, much less say that it’s not realistic. Do not misunderstand me. But I, especially as a physicist, really like to imagine if the events of Long Dark happened in real life, what kind of explanation could be given to them. Basically, I want to come up with a "quiet apocalypse theory" if it happened in the real world. I hope you got what I meant.

Edited by Deer RudolF
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Deer RudolF said:

By the way, I don’t want to adjust the game to the framework of the real world, much less say that it’s not realistic. Do not misunderstand me. But I, especially as a physicist, really like to imagine if the events of Long Dark happened in real life, what kind of explanation could be given to them. Basically, I want to come up with a "quiet apocalypse theory" if it happened in the real world. I hope you got what I meant.

I get what you mean..    there's always room for real and fictional theories and in this game a mix of both🤔😊. Anything goes.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I did wonder if they would be too big for forsaken ...

I would compare the PV aircraft with the A318-100. The minimum runway length for it is 1355 meters (4445.5 feet). A little long for FA and PM. I would say that such a runway as in the FA is, at most, designed for light aircraft, like Mackenzie's. Yes, I don’t think it makes sense to build a super-expensive airport for landing large planes on an island that no one needs. Airbus A318 - Wikipedia

Edited by Deer RudolF
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Deer RudolF said:

I would compare the PV aircraft with the A318-100. The minimum runway length for it is 1355 meters (4445.5 feet). A little long for FA and PM. I would say that such a runway as in the FA is, at most, designed for light aircraft, like McKesney. Yes, I don’t think it makes sense to build a super-expensive airport for landing large planes on an island that no one needs. Airbus A318 - Wikipedia

I figured it wouldn't really be big enough,despite how big it feels to us lol...     My theory about rudiger was just a bit of a silly one I admit .

Maybe the survivors from episode 3 will re-emerge and mention where they were going..😊

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

TBH I'd never really considered the narrative for the aircraft, beyond Wintermute and the whole aurora screwing with electrics thing. One related part of my own headcanon tho is that the nearest crash site is the aircraft you came from when you spawn. And in the rare event that I find something useful at one of the smaller sites, I sorta pretend that it was something belonging to my character that I managed to recover from the wreckage.

Obviously that doesn't really make sense for every spawn location, as there just aren't downed aircraft everywhere, but I have explanations for most of them too - an AC spawn means you somehow survived an earlier fall from the TWM plane as it was breaking apart, in BI and DP the aircraft plunged thru the ice/into the sea after you bailed, and in BR the crash site is probably out of sight somewhere, either above the edge cliffs or somewhere in the gorge you can't see. Haven't really come up with an explanation for Blackrock yet, but spawning there would be enough of a headache already without worrying about how I got there. 😜

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I figured it wouldn't really be big enough,despite how big it feels to us lol...     My theory about rudiger was just a bit of a silly one I admit .

Maybe the survivors from episode 3 will re-emerge and mention where they were going..😊

Let's try to analyze the available information. I suggest you start by focusing on the name of the airline - North Star. This tells us that most likely the aircraft belongs to some northern regions (it is stupid to create an airline associated with the north that flies all over the globe), namely: Alaska, Canada, Scandinavia, northern Russia. Typically, such airlines operate small flights within their region, that is, Alaska Airlines does not fly further than the United States. This means that our plane clearly crashed in the same region to which it belongs, that is, Canada, as indirectly evidenced by the colors of the plane. That is, the plane was performing an intra-Conadian flight. Recalling the A318 mentioned earlier for small passenger traffic. I would suggest that he was flying either from a large city to a small city (with a population of about 100k - 200k people), or vice versa. But the geographic location of the Great Bear remains unclear to me, and how a plane could fly through this island.

• Upvote 3

You can also look at the names in the manifest. Alas, I am not Canadian, but it seems to me that these names may well belong to Canadians.

D. Belanger
T. Chan
S. Gagne
O. Gould
W. Jones
F. Leblanc
L. Lee
A. Lewis
K. Morrison
G. Russell
V. Singh
A. Roy
R. Tan

• Upvote 1

SEA-TAC is close enough to Vancouver that it would be a possible start/end for a flight for a Canadian airline, with runways of an appropriate length to suit the larger planes. SEA-TAC to Anchorage would *possibly* put the flight path over or near GBI if we believe GBI is along the western coast of Canada, north of Vancouver/Vancouver Island.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Deer RudolF said:

Let's try to analyze the available information. I suggest you start by focusing on the name of the airline - North Star. This tells us that most likely the aircraft belongs to some northern regions (it is stupid to create an airline associated with the north that flies all over the globe), namely: Alaska, Canada, Scandinavia, northern Russia. Typically, such airlines operate small flights within their region, that is, Alaska Airlines does not fly further than the United States. This means that our plane clearly crashed in the same region to which it belongs, that is, Canada, as indirectly evidenced by the colors of the plane. That is, the plane was performing an intra-Conadian flight. Recalling the A318 mentioned earlier for small passenger traffic. I would suggest that he was flying either from a large city to a small city (with a population of about 100k - 200k people), or vice versa. But the geographic location of the Great Bear remains unclear to me, and how a plane could fly through this island.

I honestly didn't notice the details of the plane itself..just the poor unfortunates in it....     

It would make sense for it to be a "local" airline ..   as for them crossing over great bear  i dont know that either.maybe the compass got thrown out of synch?   I'm definitely  no science or tech expert... 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Deer RudolF said:

What I mean is that if the plane were conditionally from Russia, there would be Russian names too. The same goes for other regions.

All of those names could easily be American names, not only Canadian names. (We do have a wide variety of names down here- just saying...). Or a mix from both countries. And people from the US and/or Canada fly to Russia IRL- and that would still fit in the fictional post-apoc game-world we are in.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I honestly didn't notice the details of the plane itself..just the poor unfortunates in it....     

It would make sense for it to be a "local" airline ..   as for them crossing over great bear  i dont know that either.maybe the compass got thrown out of synch?   I'm definitely  no science or tech expert... 

If we talk about science, then something strange has obviously happened to the earth’s magnetic field. In terms of physics, the appearance of current in “empty” wires is quite possible, but only on the condition that the magnetic field in winter becomes “stronger” tens, if not hundreds of times. And most likely, such a change in the magnetic field should affect the plane, although the plane can work like a Faraday cage, that is, be insensitive to the electromagnetic field, but this requires a deeper technical analysis, I haven’t thought about this yet. But all modern aircraft are equipped with an electronic compass that operates independently of the earth's magnetic field. But again, I didn't think about how induced currents might affect aircraft systems. Maybe someday, halfway through my nightly thoughts, I’ll write a post about this, because I’ve become interested myself.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Deer RudolF said:

Maybe someday, halfway through my nightly thoughts, I’ll write a post about this, because I’ve become interested myself.

That much is pretty evident. It's be quite entertaining watching your analytical mind picking over the problem here.  ^_^

Keep us posted on your ruminations.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Deer RudolF said:

If we talk about science, then something strange has obviously happened to the earth’s magnetic field. In terms of physics, the appearance of current in “empty” wires is quite possible, but only on the condition that the magnetic field in winter becomes “stronger” tens, if not hundreds of times. And most likely, such a change in the magnetic field should affect the plane, although the plane can work like a Faraday cage, that is, be insensitive to the electromagnetic field, but this requires a deeper technical analysis, I haven’t thought about this yet. But all modern aircraft are equipped with an electronic compass that operates independently of the earth's magnetic field. But again, I didn't think about how induced currents might affect aircraft systems. Maybe someday, halfway through my nightly thoughts, I’ll write a post about this, because I’ve become interested myself.

The same as a car in lightning strikes?    I thought I remember seeing flashes when wills plane came down, obvious I could be thinking of all those disaster films I've watched.  

• Upvote 1