Armored Moose 🪖

Posted (edited)

Question for the developers @Raphael van Lierop @Admin. Is it possible to kill a moose in the game using only a flare gun? I spent 34 rounds and broke 2 signal pistols, but the moose stayed alive. Please tell me how the system of hunting with a signal gun works now.

Edited by Max21

33 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

If you're going to kill a moose with a flare gun in one shot, it has to be a head shot.

It doesn't work anymore. I hit at least 12 times in the moose's head.

I must admit that I shot a moose in the face with one and it just went straight through it...  The moose was only a few metres away too..

And it didn't stop eating for a further minute or so before running off.

• Upvote 1

• Hinterland
4 hours ago, Max21 said:

Question for the developers @Raphael van Lierop @Admin. Is it possible to kill a moose in the game using only a flare gun? I spent 34 rounds and broke 2 signal pistols, but the moose stayed alive. Please tell me how the system of hunting with a signal gun works now.

I would say if we have the moose standing around waiting for you to shoot it 30+ times, we have bigger problems to solve.

The Distress Pistol is a deterrent -- it's not a hunting tool.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

I would say if we have the moose standing around waiting for you to shoot it 30+ times, we have bigger problems to solve.

But the odds of killing a wolf and a bear using a flare gun are very high. A single shot is often enough. Why is it different with moose?

3 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I don't think it's guaranteed at all.  It's a possibility, but not certain.

That's why I want to learn more about how the signal gun works now. In the past, 2-3 cartridges were enough to hunt elk. Now 34 cartridges are not enough.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

@Max21  If you want to one-shot the moose, a head shot with the bow at level 5 archery seems just as likely to do it as any other method.  Like Raphael mentioned, the flare gun's not really for hunting.  It's especially not for hunting in interloper as you can be a hundred days in and only have 4-5 flare rounds available.

Edited by I_eat_only_wolf_meat
missing info

Posted (edited)

If the flare round sticks... then sure, it continues to do damage.
Bow is also good... but it's not the only option. (unless one is on interloper or interloper-like custom settings)
I've been lucky enough to one shot a moose while it was charging with a revolver. :D  Very pulse pounding, and I imagine a rare crit; but possible.
The Rifle can also down a moose with one well aimed headshot (again not guaranteed but do able). 

I don't think I've ever used more than two shots (of anything) to bring down a moose in the last several years.
To me, more than that feels like a waste of ammunition. :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

If the flare round sticks... then sure, it continues to do damage.
Bow is also good... but it's not the only option. (unless one is on interloper or interloper-like custom settings)
I've been lucky enough to one shot a moose while it was charging with a revolver. :D  Very pulse pounding, and I imagine a rare crit; but possible.
The Rifle can also down a moose with one well aimed headshot (again not guaranteed but do able). 

I don't think I've ever used more than two shots (of anything) to bring down a moose in the last several years.
To me, more than that feels like a waste of ammunition. :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Apparently it can also do so at level 1 rifle skill with a buttshot. Just recorded that like, 3 days ago. It'll be up eventually on my channel.

I was honestly quite shocked as the moose is a very durable critter and getting a one-hit kill typically requires well-placed aim and leveled skill. Both things I didn't do in my instance. For what it's worth.

As to the flare gun, yeah, it's not a hunting tool at all. It's to get that bloody bear off your keister. I think the way it works with damage is through "bleed" (intended as burn I guess) but because moose don't bleed it will not down them. I'd need actual code confirmation of that, of course, but that's my suspicion. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Max21 said:

That's why I want to learn more about how the signal gun works now. In the past, 2-3 cartridges were enough to hunt elk. Now 34 cartridges are not enough.

Here's some info on the distress pistol from the Wiki. Burn is effectively bleed, as I surmised. Because the Moose is immune to bleeding, you have to kill it outright. Apparently, some players have managed to do so with the Flare gun, but it's not guaranteed. I'd go at it with any other weapon. Flare gun is really best used as an anti-charge weapon (ends charging from wolves, bear, and moosen). 

Posted (edited)

Has it moved at all or is it just standing there?  Reason I ask is cause of this bug where animals die standing.

85znt2w4ik1d1.thumb.png.92b4c34bf938e387ef2d40e8e6d4626a.png

Sometimes they exibit other signs of life other than standing.  Eyes are open and they breath.  Sometimes all of these at once.

Edited by rush247
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

So you're saying that a Distress Pistol shot killing a bear is unintended?  I've had it happen quite a few times.

18 minutes ago, rush247 said:

Sometimes they exibit other signs of life other than standing.  Eyes are open and they breath.

A bear at least can continue to breathe for a minute or so after you drop it, or at least you can still see regular puffs of breath for a moment. Made me second-guess my kill a coupla times until I got used to it.

14 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

@Max21  I have to ask... I presume that was just an experiment? 

Not really. I usually use a bow and a flare gun when hunting elk. And before the release of 1 or 2 DLC, 2-3 shots from the signal gun were enough to kill a moose. After the release of DLC, I began to notice that the moose has increased protection and now it is impossible to kill him with a flare gun. So I decided to ask the developers what happened to the signal gun. But it seems that no one will give me an answer 😞

I just wanted to hear from the developers an answer like “ We have increased the defense of the moose and now it can not be killed with a signal gun” or “ this is a bug and we will soon fix this bug”. But alas... no concrete answer.

2 minutes ago, Max21 said:

Not really. I usually use a bow and a flare gun when hunting elk. And before the release of 1 or 2 DLC, 2-3 shots from the signal gun were enough to kill a moose. After the release of DLC, I began to notice that the moose has increased protection and now it is impossible to kill him with a flare gun. So I decided to ask the developers what happened to the signal gun. But it seems that no one will give me an answer 😞

I just wanted to hear from the developers an answer like “ We have increased the defense of the moose and now it can not be killed with a signal gun” or “ this is a bug and we will soon fix this bug”. But alas... no concrete answer.

I think @Raphael van Lieropmeant it should never have been able to kill the moose.. I could be wrong though..

Still 30 shells is a lot to try on it.. .

But I took have noticed that they seem to be less affected by the flare gun than they used to be...

5 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I think @Raphael van Lieropmeant it should never have been able to kill the moose.. I could be wrong though..

Still 30 shells is a lot to try on it.. .

But I took have noticed that they seem to be less affected by the flare gun than they used to be...

Maybe. But from 2018 to 2023, the signal gun was suitable for hunting all animals including moose. After the DLC release, bear, wolf, and deer can still be killed with just one shot from a signal gun. Only the moose is broken. 

10 minutes ago, Max21 said:

Maybe. But from 2018 to 2023, the signal gun was suitable for hunting all animals including moose. After the DLC release, bear, wolf, and deer can still be killed with just one shot from a signal gun. Only the moose is broken. 

Aside from bears and moose I've never tried it on other animals,but the moose was always a lot less likely to be killed with it ,for me anyway.. more often than not he'd run off with a red nose for ages..... It's always had it's own differences regarding bleed out etc,so I'm not surprised if it's been affected by the update in some way....  Maybe that's the way it's meant to be for all the animals.

6 hours ago, rush247 said:

Has it moved at all or is it just standing there?  Reason I ask is cause of this bug where animals die standing.

85znt2w4ik1d1.thumb.png.92b4c34bf938e387ef2d40e8e6d4626a.png

Sometimes they exibit other signs of life other than standing.  Eyes are open and they breath.  Sometimes all of these at once.

@Max21. @rush247

I would submit a ticket.  Looks and sounds like a bug

I've had a few zombie wolves this year so that's possible...  If @Max21 can clarify it was dead or not...  They didn't mention whether it moved at all,or if they got close enough to try and harvest it..

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I've had a few zombie wolves this year so that's possible...  If @Max21 can clarify it was dead or not...  They didn't mention whether it moved at all,or if they got close enough to try and harvest it..

The moose was alive 🙂