Game asking me to repurchase Tales?

This could potentially be an Xbox issue so I’m not really sure where to ask, but I have the Xbox version of the long dark and I bought tales the day it came out, also Xbox. Having Xbox game pass, it allows you to play Xbox games on your computer or your Xbox (no issues with other games, I do it all the time). But when I went to start a game on Tales, it is pulling up the Microsoft store asking me to pay $20 again when I’ve already purchased it through my Xbox. Is it because it’s a DLC? I’ve never had this happen with any other games. 

Does anyone else play Xbox games from their computer? If so, can you tell me if there’s a way to fix this so I don’t have to buy it twice. Especially since I don’t actually own the long dark for computer, only Xbox. 

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Are you referring to the Xbox play anywhere?   I think there is an issue with that..

Yes, I’m pretty sure that’s what it’s called. I just open the Xbox app on my computer and it allows me to play all the games that I have downloaded on my Xbox. The long dark game itself works, it’s only the expansion pack that it’s asking me to buy, even tho I’ve already bought it and have it installed on my Xbox. 

Is the issue from Microsoft or the long dark? Do you know if I do buy the DLC again, will it work then?

I’ve been debating on buying it all from Steam anyway eventually so just buying the DLC would be cheaper, if it actually works that way. But I definitely don’t want to buy it three times lol.

I'm afraid I don't know.. I haven't got the play anywhere but there is a thread somewhere about it..   I'd send the link if I could but I think it's on technical discussion anyway..  and pretty recent...  Maybe check using the search function.....

Sorry I can't be more help..  

If it is the same issue though I'd suggest filing a report.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I'm afraid I don't know.. I haven't got the play anywhere but there is a thread somewhere about it..   I'd send the link if I could but I think it's on technical discussion anyway..  and pretty recent...  Maybe check using the search function.....

Sorry I can't be more help..  

If it is the same issue though I'd suggest filing a report.

Thank you so much! I didn’t know it was a common issue. I found the post you’re talking about and apparently it’s been an issue for over a year. I’ve never tried to play it on computer so I didn’t know. At least now I know it’s not something I did to break the game 😂 

• Upvote 1

• Hinterland

Hello @Tonya1026 -- sorry to hear you've run into this issue.

Just to 100% confirm what is going on:

* You bought TLD on Xbox.

* You bought TALEs on Xbox.

* You are trying to play on your PC (via the Xbox app) and it's asking you to re-purchase TALEs (but not TLD)

Is that correct?

You mentioned Game Pass which is part of why I'm asking for clarification. If you played TLD on Game Pass, but didn't buy it, you'd have to purchase it outright to play it since TLD is no longer on Game Pass. We launched TALES after TLD had already left Game Pass so I doubt this is the issue here, but I just want to be 100% clear.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

* You are trying to play on your PC (via the Xbox app) and it's asking you to re-purchase TALEs (but not TLD)

Is that correct?

You mentioned Game Pass which is part of why I'm asking for clarification. If you played TLD on Game Pass, but didn't buy it, you'd have to purchase it outright to play it since TLD is no longer on Game Pass. We launched TALES after TLD had already left Game Pass so I doubt this is the issue here, but I just want to be 100% clear.

Yes. I own TLD and Tales both on Xbox. It is only asking me to repurchase Tales, not TLD when I try to play it from my computer. TLD works just fine on both PC and Xbox. Tales only works on Xbox.

*I call it Game Pass but I think its called Play Anywhere someone said, but I do have Game Pass Ultimate.*

Here is a screenshot of TLD from my computer showing I'm logged in to my Xbox account. Survival mode and Wintermute both work just fine. When I click Download Now next to "Expansion" it takes me to the Microsoft Store and asks me to buy it for $19.99, even though I've already bought it and have it installed on my Xbox. I went back and found my purchase history from when I bought Tales and added it as well. 

1 game.png

2 game.png

Edited by Tonya1026
to add my purchase history

1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Is that correct?

this exact thing happened to me last october and i sent an email but they never responded.... ended up buying it again

I owned tld + tales on my xbox and tried to play from my laptop as i was on a trip but it asked to repurchase same as this situation

• Hinterland

Thanks for clarifying, @Tonya1026. I appreciate you taking the time to add this detail.

(FYI, yes on Xbox you can buy some games on one platform and play them on the other as well, in this case you can buy on Xbox and play on PC using the Xbox app. That is independent of Game Pass.)

I'm honestly not sure why the Play Anywhere aspect isn't working here. If you don't mind, can you report it to our Support Portal, here: hinterlandgames.com/support

Let me know once you have reported it, and I will ask the team to take a look as soon as TALES Part Five has cleared Test. 🙏🏻

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mintietcatm said:

this exact thing happened to me last october and i sent an email but they never responded.... ended up buying it again

I owned tld + tales on my xbox and tried to play from my laptop as i was on a trip but it asked to repurchase same as this situation

I'm considering just purchasing Tales so I can play it but I was afraid it would still not work correctly. After you bought it a second time, does it now work correctly?

4 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Thanks for clarifying, @Tonya1026. I appreciate you taking the time to add this detail.

(FYI, yes on Xbox you can buy some games on one platform and play them on the other as well, in this case you can buy on Xbox and play on PC using the Xbox app. That is independent of Game Pass.)

I'm honestly not sure why the Play Anywhere aspect isn't working here. If you don't mind, can you report it to our Support Portal, here: hinterlandgames.com/support

Let me know once you have reported it, and I will ask the team to take a look as soon as TALES Part Five has cleared Test. 🙏🏻

Ok I reported the issue. I will prob just repurchase Tales if it works that way because I really want it for PC anyway but I do hope you're able to find a solution for future people with this issue. Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Tonya1026 said:

I'm considering just purchasing Tales so I can play it but I was afraid it would still not work correctly. After you bought it a second time, does it now work correctly?

Nope it works just fine, and it still syncs with my xbox so progress done on my laptop is on the same save as my console. I'd say its worth buying it again if you can

Edited by mintietcatm
misread the question so i edited the answer
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 7:56 PM, mintietcatm said:

Happened to me, and I bought again, but thats no problem, I bought on XBOX & Steam, and DLC for both (Plus xbox on PC, to download and share my saves with steam)

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, romerabr said:

Happened to me, and I bought again, but thats no problem, I bought on XBOX & Steam, and DLC for both (Plus xbox on PC, to download and share my saves with steam)

Same, i own them on both with all dlcs and soundtrack. Because I like to support hinterland however I can, but I get how this constant repurchasing can be a problem (not that I'm rich, im just irresponsible 😂)

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I'm having the same problem. I was able to download and install TLD on my PC from the Microsoft store, but it's an old version (2.25 126227 U) and doesn't include the Tales expansion. I purchased both TLD and Tales on Xbox. I'll report the issue, but I hope someone will post if they find a solution.

Edit: For those who said they re-purchased Tales and that worked...did you also have the problem where you got an old version of TLD, and if so, did paying for Tales again fix that issue (i.e., did it somehow cause TLD to update to the new version)?

Edited by suoiduts

• 2 weeks later...

I have pruchased TFTFT on both Platforms, on Xbox and Xbox App PC and it only works on my Xbox, on PC if i start the game it wants to ask me to download the DLC but i have it intalled. Hope the Patch on Mondy solves the Issue

ALCON:
Just out of curiosity... has anyone reached out to any sort of Xbox Customer Support to check things out on the Xbox end?

I only ask because I imagine if it's been purchased via Xbox's marketplace/Microsoft Store (or whatever name it goes by)... I imagine folks should be able to show proof of purchase and perhaps folks on the Xbox end might also be able to help.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
To be clear, I don't own an Xbox or use the Xbox App... so I don't any particulars.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

Excellent point, @ManicManiac.

Now that the main game update issue is solved, I contacted Xbox customer support again. They had me go to xbox.com and search for Tales.

There, it shows that I own the content, but...it shows it as being playable on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S only....no PC. So as far as they're concerned, that's the end of the issue on their end.  I assume Tales is supposed to be playable on PC, so I guess that's something Hinterland needs to work out with MS/Xbox.

Update: After seeing that Tales is playable on PC according to the MS Store, I contacted support again. The bottom line seems to be that the game itself is Play Anywhere, but Tales has to be purchased separately for console and PC. Whether that is supposed to be the case or not, only Hinterland can answer. I'm not mad at it though, I'll go ahead and purchase it again for PC.

image.thumb.png.3d5acd5b10a3742e2491c5833033af8a.png

Edited by suoiduts
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 8:49 PM, suoiduts said:

On the plus side, TLD on my PC finally got an update from version 2.25 (to version 2.28) :)  On the downside, it still doesn't recognize that I already own Tales :( 

There’s actually two ways to play the long dark from your computer. If you’re OK with using a controller, you can connect your console to the Xbox app and basically screen mirror your Xbox to your computer, then you won’t need to purchase Tales separately. It will play correctly this way. (Open the app on your PC and up next to your gamer name there will be an icon called “Consoles”. That’s how you can “screen mirror” it.)

But if you want to play using a keyboard and mouse, which is how I wanted to play, then you will have to get Tales separately. (To play this way you’ll choose My Library or Cloud Gaming from the list under your gamer name.)

Since I haven’t been able to purchase Tales again right now, I’ve been playing using the first option. 

I wanted to share this because I don’t think it’s common knowledge that you can play some games both ways because I searched for days to figure it out 😂 

On 6/27/2024 at 2:59 PM, suoiduts said:

Excellent point, @ManicManiac.

Now that the main game update issue is solved, I contacted Xbox customer support again. They had me go to xbox.com and search for Tales.

There, it shows that I own the content, but...it shows it as being playable on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S only....no PC. So as far as they're concerned, that's the end of the issue on their end.  I assume Tales is supposed to be playable on PC, so I guess that's something Hinterland needs to work out with MS/Xbox.

Update: After seeing that Tales is playable on PC according to the MS Store, I contacted support again. The bottom line seems to be that the game itself is Play Anywhere, but Tales has to be purchased separately for console and PC. Whether that is supposed to be the case or not, only Hinterland can answer. I'm not mad at it though, I'll go ahead and purchase it again for PC.

image.thumb.png.3d5acd5b10a3742e2491c5833033af8a.png

Unfortunately I contacted Microsoft the first day I had the issue, and as expected, they blamed it on Hinderland. I spent a week back-and-forth with them, re-downloading, updating, and all of that, and they still couldn’t figure it out. They decided to say the reason was because that expansion pack wasn’t playable on PC, which is obviously not true. They finally told me it’s because even though it’s the same expansion pack, the version that I bought for Xbox is different than the version that they sell for PC and I would have to re-purchase it. After that I gave up 🤣

Thank you very much. I think you guys have going on much in the support at the moment, so the effort for such a niche problem is much appreciated. I also contacted the Microsoft support on the matter. I think it is really a Microsoft PC Store/Xbox app issue, because i bought The Long Dark + TFTFT on both Xbox and PC Xbox Store i think it is in their resposiblity to fix the Issue. Will update if i get some info from the Microsoft Support.

And again thanks @Hinterland for investigating the Issue. You created one of my favourite games of all time and all the content & updates that you brought to the base game & the DLC is really great :)

• Upvote 1