Insomnia (Character commentary)

UTC-10

I think that the onset of the affliction, Insomnia, should be characterized by a statement more like: 

I wonder if Astrid (or Will) is alright.  I can't get her/his predicament/situation out of my mind.

The aurora in the sky and what I have seen.  What's happened to the world?!?  

This reflects anxiety preying on the character's thoughts.  

After the affliction takes hold then the statement:

I can't sleep.  I am tired but why can't I sleep?!? *

Would then make more sense as the character tries to sleep. 💤

I find it incongruous to be walking along, in broad daylight, and then make that exclamation *.  I play Pilgrim, have had Insomnia, which cannot be avoided in Glimmer Fog conditions outside of limited number of specific areas, and the comment with the onset of the affliction always struck me as just wrong.  💭

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UTC-10 said:

I think that the onset of the affliction, Insomnia, should be characterized by a statement more like: 

I wonder if Astrid (or Will) is alright.  I can't get her/his predicament/situation out of my mind.

I wouldn't mind some new lines for the affliction onset, but I don't feel like using Will/Astrid in Survival Mode is appropriate. I don't play Survival Mode as Will or Astrid- I create my own character name and backstory and roleplay it as I go. Most of my survivors would have no clue who Will or Astrid are/were. There are more planes crashed on the island than just the one Will and Astrid were in.

Maybe something more generic like "I hope my family back home is okay! Will I ever get to see them again?"

But I also understand that only people who own the DLC will ever hear these lines- and the studio has to pay the voice actors to come in and record the new lines. Has the DLC made enough money and does it have enough players who want the same thing to make the cost of it worthwhile? 

• Upvote 2

while insomnia is typically a psychological condition(like stress and such), isn't it (game wise) based more on spending time in certain environments (glimmer fog) which is more about electricity, which can disrupt sleep offline and its based on that in game?

while little known fact, social isolation (so the solitude of the game play) can lead to sleep disruptions being more frequent, pronounced, and easier to develop. so i can see more general statements related to that added. such as "how many people are really left" or "i just want someone to talk to" but i dont think the current comments should be removed cause they fit the physical (electricity) cause

but as mentioned, it is dlc specific, and there are even people (such as myself, and i got the game gifted) that might want dlcs but only able to afford the base game currently. so the studio does have to weigh how much they got from it to how much they can add

• Upvote 2

There is no particular reason why the character has to exclaim anything.  It not like the affliction came over and 💥 😰 

TBH, being in Pilgrim I do not think I have ever been awakened while sleeping by Insomnia, so having some exclamation or complaint accompany my awakening would be a helpful indicator.  Be more in character I think.  

My main complaint, so far, was that the timing of the exclamation was misplaced.  If the game gave a visual but silent notification that Insomnia affliction had taken hold would be fine.  Having that the existing character exclamation occur when Insomnia awakens him/her would have been fine. 

As is, the timing of the exclamation of onset of the Insomnia affliction just seemed completely out of place and inappropriate.  

I am sure I will experience Insomnia's actual effects sooner or later.  I just cannot say that I have been awakened by it.  

• Upvote 1