new gun idea

xxfinebeanzxx

There should be a Shotgun as a weapon, perhaps modeled after either an Ithaca 37 or a Winchester 1897. the Ithaca 37 could make sense in terms of time era as a hunters shotgun, but since the island seems to use lots of military surplus the Winchester 1897 would make sense as a police shotgun so the police cars/trucks could spawn one and the prison could spawn one and more places I don't could as well. It would count as a noise maker because well... it's loud and could do good damage maybe a gun to rival the moose but because it's a shotgun you'd have to get close to the target to do significant damage. reloading a shell could introduce the idea of wadding and judging by the size of a piece of cloth you could make maybe 3-4 wads and of course, beads/shot and gunpowder. a shotgun would be great for killing a bear or moose and stopping wolves dead in their tracks (pun not intended) and it would be the only gun that has a good shot spread/wide spread.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, diggity said:

A shotgun does seem like a no-brainer - any farm would most likely have one.  So it must have been a hard choice to leave it out, perhaps because it would make shooting wolves too easy, or there wouldn't be much of a hide left on anything.  Craftable buckshot would be fun though.

that actually could be a drawback of using the shotgun much like how the revolver and rifle have their strengths and weaknesses the shotgun needs some too, and the fact that you might not get a lot of pelt or no pelt at all could be a drawback of the shotgun but the shooting of wolves being too easy is (in my opinion) the point of the shotgun as when wolves charge when you aim a gun at them (this happens to me at least) its a bit hard to hit them especially it a tight space with them zig-zagging around.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

🤔... I think we perhaps have too many  weapons already.  No more firearms, please.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

2 hours ago, xxfinebeanzxx said:

we have TWO

@xxfinebeanzxx
There's really no need to be snide about it. 😋 However, since you already went there...

Correction... we have NINE individually distinct firearms. 
They each have their own unique set of stats, meaning they are not "just reskins."

To be specific, we have the following firearms on Great Bear Island already:

• Hunting Rifle - "standard," effective offensive weapon against wildlife, inflicts bleeding wounds (except to for Moose). 
  • Barb's Rifle - heavier than standard, greater durability.
  • Vaughn's Rifle - lighter than standard, faster firing rate, lesser durability.
  • Curator's Rifle - greater effective range.
  • Revolver - "standard," effective offensive weapon against wildlife, inflicts bleeding wounds (except to for Moose). 
  • Forester's Revolver - greater durability, lacks rear iron sights.
  • Hunter's Revolver - greater effective range, heavier than standard.
  • Warden's Revolver - lighter, faster draw speed, shorter effective firing range, lacks rear iron sights.
  • Distress Pistol - fires flare shells that will deter/frighten hostile wildlife, can even cause burning damage if projectile gets stuck to the target.

...see what I mean?  NINE unique firearms... :D

As for other "weapons" either offensive or defensive... we also have:

• Survival Bow - "standard," effective offensive weapon against wildlife, inflicts bleeding wounds (except to for Moose). 
  • Woodwright's Bow - heavier than standard, much greater durability, less sway (more stable).
  • Sport Bow - lighter than standard, greater durability, 
  • Stones - will drive away stalking wolves, distracting wandering wolves, stun rabbits and ptarmigans.
  • Noisemakers - will drive away hostile wildlife, can also cause damage within the "blast radius."
  • Hunting Knife - effective weapon in a wolf struggle, inflicts "bleeding" wounds on the wolf.
  • Improvised Knife - effective weapon in a wolf struggle, inflicts "bleeding" wounds on the wolf.
  • Hatchet - effective weapon in a wolf struggle, inflicts "bleeding" wounds on the wolf.
  • Improvised Hatchet - effective weapon in a wolf struggle, inflicts "bleeding" wounds on the wolf.
  • Heavy Hammer - effective weapon in a wolf struggle, inflicts "bludgeoning" wounds on the wolf.
  • Prybar - effective weapon in a wolf struggle, inflicts "bludgeoning" wounds on the wolf.
  • Revolver (melee) - effective weapon in a wolf struggle, inflicts "bludgeoning" wounds on the wolf (also a chance to get a shot off).
  • *Flare - will fend off and frighten wolves (both black and timber).  *Categorized here as a defensive weapon, because... well, it's fire.
  • *Marine Flare - will fend off and frighten wolves (both black and timber).  *Categorized here as a defensive weapon, because... well, it's fire.
  • *Torch - will fend off and frighten wolves (both black and timber).  *Categorized here as a defensive weapon, because... well, it's fire.

...another FIFTEEN offensive/defensive weapons.  This totals up to TWENTY-FOUR weapons already available to us on Great Bear Island.

So yes, I will restate my opinion:

I think we perhaps have too many weapons already.
No more firearms, please. :) 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
Edited for clarity
  • Upvote 1