Even More Resetting

Spottdrossel

More and more selections and filters are resetting to a (more or less sensible) default when performing certain tasks.

First we got the item category filter when transferring items between the inventory and containers.

Now the inventory filter is reset too every time you open it.

If I got two packs of matches on me and want to start a fire, the initial selection will be the ones with the highest condition.

Since I want to use the ones with the worst condition first (because that has no effect on the chance of success and I want to save the other ones for later) and change it, the selection is reset the next time I start a fire.

It's the same with crafting: Instead of presenting me with the last selection I made, I get to click all the way through the recipe selection again.

I just don't see how any of this resetting is improving my experience.

It just feels like the game is constantly trying to trick me into bad decisions, like using the best matches now instead of saving them for later.

I had not noticed this myself but it seems reasonable that the default item used when starting fires or performing similar tasks should be the option with the lowest condition. I would imagine that would be everyone's preference across the board but I could be wrong. If anyone can share a compelling reason why that isn't desired default behavior please feel free.

Valid points here. The inventory filter should not always reset but rather be same as when the inventory was last opened. Otherwise, you have to do too much clicking without gaining anything for gameplay. Also, when lighting a fire the matches with the lowest condition should be autoselected.

I have another issue with the menue for melting snow/boiling water: When melting snow, it is preset for 5 litres. That's good, as I often go for that (maximum) quantity, and I presume many others do as well. Next, I will usually boil the same 5 litres right away. But when I switch to boiling, it is preset to 0 litres. Preset should be 5 litres here as well or - even better - the overall amount of unboiled water in your baggage.

The crafting menue as it is now often requires a lot of clicking. The former list was more comfortable. Maybe something between a list and the current handboook-like menue could be devised?

I agree - the reset stuff is driving me insane, and making it incredibly frustrating to play.

For example:

- Step 1 - I directly open my inventory (I re-map that to my middle mouse button, since I do it so often)

- Step 2 - I want to see what food I have, so I now have to click the food filter

- Step 3 - I decide to eat something, but I want to see my current calorie level, so I press Tab to bring up that window

- Step 4 - I then click inventory again, and once again have to click on the food filter

This used to be fluid and fast - 90% of the time when I open my inventory during the run of a normal day, I want to eat or drink something. Now every single time I open my inventory I have to add another click.

I never ever use the "All" filter, so having that for the default just doesn't work for me.

The container filter screw up in 212 was bad enough, but this one is enough to make me want to stop playing until it is fixed.

I find this resetting very annoying to the point of frustration! Try managing your food supply when you've bagged 2 deer, a wolf, some fish and some rabbit and of course lots of packaged food as well, all spread over a lot of containers. Or the situations Hylander and Majales describe. It gets very frustrating fast.

I thought as much as soon as I saw the changelist in the update but decided to try it out before saying anything. Now that I have tried it, I hate it even more than I thought I would. Please change this back to the way it was and remember the players choices in other area's like the aforementioned matches selection when starting a fire and the crafting recipe selection.

I agree - the reset stuff is driving me insane, and making it incredibly frustrating to play.

For example:

- Step 1 - I directly open my inventory (I re-map that to my middle mouse button, since I do it so often)

- Step 2 - I want to see what food I have, so I now have to click the food filter

- Step 3 - I decide to eat something, but I want to see my current calorie level, so I press Tab to bring up that window

- Step 4 - I then click inventory again, and once again have to click on the food filter

This used to be fluid and fast - 90% of the time when I open my inventory during the run of a normal day, I want to eat or drink something. Now every single time I open my inventory I have to add another click.

I very much agree to this. After a while, it's really getting annoying to change the filter setting back to food several times a day...

Please change this back to the way it was and remember the players choices in other area's like the aforementioned matches selection when starting a fire and the crafting recipe selection.

You didn't start fire every hour usualy, so matches selection can stay as is, but remembering recipe selection is nice feature. When you are crafting something bigger like wolfcoat, then you need rest and drink. On the other hand, if you want craft something else afterwards and you don't now, where the recipe is, then you end up listing through them left and right. In this case is reset nice feature. We have here two contradictory features :)

Maybe remeber recipe page and allow cycle through pages?

You didn't start fire every hour usualy, so matches selection can stay as is

No, usually only once or twice a week. But it has happened to me several times that I accidentally used a high condition match instead of a low condition match because the interface selects the highest condition match by default. I don't really care for the interface remembering my last choice of match if the game selected the lowest condition match by default (and matches before firestarters) as probably every player would do anyway.

but remembering recipe selection is nice feature. When you are crafting something bigger like wolfcoat, then you need rest and drink. On the other hand, if you want craft something else afterwards and you don't now, where the recipe is, then you end up listing through them left and right. In this case is reset nice feature. We have here two contradictory features :)

Maybe remeber recipe page and allow cycle through pages?

I think the last choice of recipe should be remembered, but it should also be much easier to select a different recipe without having to click through the entire stack using the left and right arrows. (It would actually help a lot if you could use the keyboard arrow buttons or 'A' and 'D' to move through these stacks.)

I think the new crafting interface looks much better, but the old interface was much easier to use. Maybe instead of "leaving" through the stack of recipe's using the 2 arrow buttons, clicking the recipe (or some button or something) could open a thumbnail view of all recipe's and you can select the one you want.

This, combined with remembering the last selection, would make for a much easier to use interface. Making multiple items of the same recipe (i.e. snares) or working on the same long term project (i.e. wolfskin coat) would be easy because the recipe is remembered and switching to another recipe would be easy as well without having to go through the entire stack.

I think in terms of crafting that the new menu isn't terrible, I would prefer that we be able to cycle though an index of everything that can be crafted. In the future it is reasonable that crafting will add another dozen or two dozen or though modding hundreds of items that can be crafted so a quicker way of finding what you want to craft is needed. Clicking through a dozen times isn't really a chose but when the list grows it will be a bigger pain in the ass than need be.

Archived