Picked up game for free during giveaway, now I feel ashamed, what should I do?

CobraGeneral

2 years ago I picked up The Long Dark for free during giveaway. I have been watching playtrough long before the giveaway, so I was very excited about it. But 1 year ago I didn't have enough free time to play it, so I started playing it regularly only this year. I now have 100 hours in the game, I played all episodes of wintermute and now I feel ashamed for playing this game for free. Should I buy it on Steam? Do I ever deserve to be part of this community? 

• Upvote 2

I'm sure that you deserve to be here😊.   Regardless of whether you paid for it or not.. this forum is an open friendly place where we share our love for the game

But if you're concerned then how about the dlc,or buying some merch when the store opens?

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I'm sure that you deserve to be here😊.   Regardless of whether you paid for it or not.. this forum is an open friendly place where we share our love for the game

But if you're concerned then how about the dlc,or buying some merch when the store opens?

Thank you for suggestion and hospitality. 

• Upvote 3

You are very welcome here! Money is not a factor in being part of the TLD community here or anywhere else. We're glad to have you, fellow survivor! :coffee:

I second @Leeanda's suggestion to spend a little in the merch store if it will make you feel better. The DLC is excellent and well worth the money, so that's a great option. You can also contribute by reporting bugs if you find any, or taking screenshots of your adventures and sharing them with us (Hinterland use these for marketing sometimes so in a small way it helps them too).

• Upvote 2

I got the game in the Epic giveaway two years ago too, and grew to kinda feel the same way. After all, if any game is worth paying money for, it's one you play a lot of. That's half the reason I bought the DLC as soon as it was released - not only would I get more stuff to play with in the game, but I could also contribute something to the developers who provided me with so much welcome distraction.

So buy the DLC, buy the game on Steam, buy the soundtrack or any of the other suggestions that have others have made. And then maybe just wrap up warm and go take another long, dark walk in the snow, because continuing to enjoy the game is the best honour you can do to Hinterland.

Edited by artmunki
  • Upvote 2

@CobraGeneral
Regardless of how anyone gets to Great Bear Island...

Welcome to the wilderness.

Also... nothing to be ashamed about. 

Picking up the game during a giveaway is a perfectly legitimate way to have acquired it.  I assume it was when Epic was offering it for free (steam doesn't really do freebee's anymore as far as I know :D)... but rest assured that all those sales and giveaways were very likely approved by Hinterland for their game's participation (that they were fully aware of it, if not compensated by the platform). 

If you do feel so inclined there are things like soundtracks you can purchase, there's the DLC, and (one day) there's the merch shop if you'd like to show Hinterland some additional support.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

I think what you should do is relax about it - not like you yoink'd the game from a Gamestop or whatever.

Grabbing some merch would have been my suggestion as well if you wanna show your appreciation in the monetary way, I think it's a great deal for both sides. Hope you find something that brings you joy!

• Upvote 1