Books like The Long Dark.

Deer RudolF

А нет. Я понял как там как вышло. Слово "Книга" и это некрасивое слово отличается только буквой "К" в начале. А из-за того, что мой уровне английского, я бы оценил как B1, я решил воспользоваться переводчиком, дабы убедиться в правильности моего построения вопроса. Но забыл напечатать букву "К" в слове "Книга". Какой факап...

11 minutes ago, xanna said:

Suddenly your post makes a lot more sense! 😆:coffee:

I am not a big reader, but this video Fear of Cold talks about several books which have survival and cold as central themes, list of books in the video description.

A familiar tune plays in the background, however.

Jack London's The Call of the Wild is a classic set in the Yukon.

ETA:  A true survival story in the Canadian north is The Last Voyage of the Karluk, by William Liard McKinlay.  Karluk was ship that became trapped in the northern ice sheet in 1913.  It was written by one of the few survivors of the ordeal.  Along those same lines is Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage.  It's about Ernest Shackleton's quest to be the first to the South Pole in 1914 and what happened to him and his crew after his ship became trapped in the ice.

ETA2:  Also Into the Wild, by Jon Krakaur - The tragic true story of Chris McCandless, a young man who ventured into the wilds of Alaska in 1992.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

I would recommend anything by Jack London. You should be able to find a collection of short stories, but some of my favorites are

- To Build a Fire - a lone man (and his dog) in remote Alaska made a mistake on traveling in bad weather. Story focuses on his attempts to build a fire and not freeze to death.

- The White Silence - Probably my favorite of his. I won't spoil anything, but it's about how suddenly brutal and harsh life can be in the frozen Yukon.

- The Love of Life - A man dead to rights, struggling to stay alive. Very much about the instinct of survival.

Other than Jack London, I would also recommend

The Revenant (book by Michael Punke) - This book follows a somewhat fictionalized/dramatized version of the life of 1800's fur trapper, Hugh Glass after he was mauled by a grizzly, robbed, and left for dead in the middle of the wilderness, and his trek back to civilization for revenge. I've read a few books on Hugh Glass, and this one is my favorite version.

Hold the Dark (book) - a wolf hunter/photographer gets a letter asking him to help a mother in rural Alaska who's child was taken by wolves. Is somewhat of a survival thriller that focuses on the line between human and beast. It's a bit of a weird book, but one of my favorite "winter/survival" books.

And in case you don't know, both The Revenant and Hold the Dark have movie renditions. Hold the Dark had mixed reviews, but it's still one of my favorites.

• Upvote 2

Hatchet  by Gary Paulsen, who also wrote a spin-off story that took place in the winter…

Kazan and Bari are both great books by James Oliver Curwood about dogs, nature, and the cruelty of humanity.

Ares Magazine had a serialized story called “The Fall”, by Kenneth Stevens or something like that. It takes place in a quiet (and COLD) apocalypse, just like TLD… 

Edited by conanjaguar
Thanks RobotDino11 :)
  • Upvote 1