Make Non-research books readable

RobotDino11

I feel non-research books should be readable. because they have no purpose currently other than just a fuel source, it would be cool to have them be able to be read. Maybe they could have a small chance  to give a random number of points to a random skill upon completion, or maybe they don't even do that and it would be a different way to pass time. i think it would just give us something to do other than practice our shuffling skills!

• Upvote 3

@RobotDino11

I'm all for the idea of them being another way to "pass time," but I'm not so keen on them granting random XP for skills...
I don't think that non-skill books should ever contribute to skill progression.
However, I'd absolutely voice support for the idea of making them readable as another "pass time" mechanism. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

I'd be in favour IF they actually contained some readable text (which I doubt will ever happen).  It would be nice if the skill books actually game some tips about the skill while reading them as well (which I also doubt will ever happen).  Otherwise, I'd rather just pass the time as it is now (since I can just pretend to myself that I'm reading as head canon) and not have to worry about carting around any more "book weight." 

More importantly, I would, however, like to be able to be able to get into a bed and read... and get the warmth bonus from the bed while doing so.

• Like 1

i definitely think that they should be a way to pass time. i just kinda enjoy the idea of random xp, it doesn't have to be much, maybe just a single point and a very, very small chance. just kinda maybe the character "picking up something" that he didnt notice before, or a tip for something.

Edited by RobotDino11
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RobotDino11 said:

i definitely think that they should be a way to pass time. i just kinda enjoy the idea of random xp, it doesn't have to be much, maybe just a single point and a very, very small chance. just kinda maybe the character "picking up something" that he didnt notice before, or a tip for something.

However, you can pass time at any time in any place now just by calling it up on the "campfire" section of the wheel.  It's in 1-hour increments, but you can cancel it earlier than that.  If you let it run to the end of the hours you selected, it will also generate a save.  Best not to do it when exposed, however.  😀  You don't need a bedroll or anything.

I'm not really sure what you mean about gaining XP since there is no general "level up" in this game - only what is applied to specific skills when reading skill books or actually using those specific skills.  There is no specific skill  to level up "passing time" and I'm not sure what the buff would be for it if they added it.  It could be that you're suggesting the random tips potentially provided by reading a book be associated with particular skills and provide a single point of XP to that random skill.  Interesting thought in that case.

5 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I'm not really sure what you mean about gaining XP since there is no general "level up" in this game - only what is applied to specific skills when reading skill books or actually using those specific skills.

I was simply stating that as perhaps a reward for reading instead of just the standard passing of time, and that books are non-renewable (to my knowledge), it could give skill points to a random skill. it would be a slight chance, and only a very minuscule point amount, if more than one point at all. 

21 minutes ago, RobotDino11 said:

I was simply stating that as perhaps a reward for reading instead of just the standard passing of time, and that books are non-renewable (to my knowledge), it could give skill points to a random skill. it would be a slight chance, and only a very minuscule point amount, if more than one point at all. 

One problem that I remember being brought up on another thread requesting this is the issue of keeping track of which non-skill (generic) books have been read.  Without this sort of tracking being added for the 100s of non-skill books in the game or at least a cap on how many times a player could read non-skill books in general, it would be an unlimited supply of XP.