Flour, oil, and cooking

JerimiahSettle

So, I could be wrong, but flour is needed for a lot of recipes, and I'm sure there's a finite amount of it (same with oil too). Sometimes, I can't find any! Thems the breaks though. 

Maybe acorn grounds could be used as a substitute for flour like they do for acorn pancakes, but for all recipes? Acorns are finite too and do not respawn (Maybe acorns should respawn? Also acorn coffee buff maybe? Feels bad to go through all that work and get a crap cup of coffee But a crap cup is better than no cup, for sure).

And for oil, how about normal fish give lantern oil, but the rare fish variants give a couple teaspoons of cooking oil? 

Also bannocks use a lot of flour for such little payout, would love some opinions on that.

Pancakes are the best! But needs syrup... Maybe a tap to put on oak trees only so they can accumulate syrup over, say 7-14 days.

Just some thoughts, May they inspire other thoughts.

Edited by JerimiahSettle
Mispell
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I think the cattail stalks could be harvested for flour after drying them out, or the grass could begin to be used as a low grade “wheat”. Barnyard grass does grow stalks of grain like wheat.  

Bear fat could be harvested for cooking oil after rendering it down.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

Barnyard grass does grow stalks of grain like wheat.

There is plenty of baled hay in PV!!  I imagine the amount if would take to make any significant amount of flour would be significant in itself.

Edited by hozz1235

34 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

There is plenty of baled hay in PV!!  I imagine the amount if would take to make any significant amount of flour would be significant in itself.

Unfortunately, baled straw (which is what I think is in the fields in PV) already has gone through the threshing machine and the heads of wheat have been removed in the process.  Hay can be from a variety of grasses and, if high quality, may contain seed heads.  It is generally green in color rather than the straw's yellow color.  It is generally not made from wheat, barley, oats, rye, etc. (i.e. the more valuable cereal grasses we use to make flours and other foods for human consumption.  Straw is generally used as bedding for livestock rather than for feed.

In short, I would be very surprised if we could make any flour from PV's bales.

11 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Unfortunately, baled straw (which is what I think is in the fields in PV) already has gone through the threshing machine and the heads of wheat have been removed in the process.  Hay can be from a variety of grasses and, if high quality, may contain seed heads.  It is generally green in color rather than the straw's yellow color.  It is generally not made from wheat, barley, oats, rye, etc. (i.e. the more valuable cereal grasses we use to make flours and other foods for human consumption.  Straw is generally used as bedding for livestock rather than for feed.

In short, I would be very surprised if we could make any flour from PV's bales.

Yes, I'm sure there is straw in PV, which is primarily used for bedding due to it's low nutritional value, but the farmers would also have a LOT of feed hay.  This is used to get the livestock through the winter.  Grass hay wouldn't have much potential for flour (as I stated) but, as with many things in TLD, a token of suspended disbelief may allow us to harvest the hay for making flour.

7 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Yes, I'm sure there is straw in PV, which is primarily used for bedding due to it's low nutritional value, but the farmers would also have a LOT of feed hay.  This is used to get the livestock through the winter.  Grass hay wouldn't have much potential for flour (as I stated) but, as with many things in TLD, a token of suspended disbelief may allow us to harvest the hay for making flour.

Could be like any other harvestable object.  Not every patch near oak trees contains acorns.  Not every patch of cattails in the lake is harvestable.  
Likewise, not every bale of hay would be harvestable.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I see making acorns respawn as the most feasible option since they've already allowed its use in pancakes and bannock.  Add a few more "acorn" recipes and I'd certainly call it good.

OP:  Tapping maple trees has been requested before.  Realistically, the sap would not be running during such cold weather, but I'd be willing to suspend my disbelief on that, for sure.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Semple Fi said:

And furthermore!!…. 😂

It sure would be nice if we could come across a wrecked freighting with a trailer full of groceries bound for the stores on great bear and the prison.  

IMG_3295.webp.5220b3622f5cf8ee187635ee86b528be.webp

Or a container ship washing up on the beach after a blizzard. 😀

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

And furthermore!!…. 😂

It sure would be nice if we could come across a wrecked freighting with a trailer full of groceries bound for the stores on great bear and the prison.  

IMG_3295.webp.5220b3622f5cf8ee187635ee86b528be.webp

There already is one of those in an out-of-bounds area in MT (just down from the ML transition cave).  All HL has to do is open that up to us and stock it.  Perhaps a treacherous deer trail leading down to it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hozz1235 said:

There already is one of those in an out-of-bounds area in MT (just down from the ML transition cave).  All HL has to do is open that up to us and stock it.  Perhaps a treacherous deer trail leading down to it.

That’s the one I was thinking of to begin with.  Also, existing train cars could be stocked with containers to break down like at the cannery.  

2 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

Agreed!
Perhaps it’s unlocked after clearing 1000 days or something further.  

Lol - You do know that I wasn't being serious, right?  I actually don't think the pre-processed foods, including flour and cooking oil, should be restocked at any point during a run.  I would be OK with acorns respawning (adding a few more "acorn flour" recipes or making it a suitable substitution in the current recipes) and with the new fish varieties producing some cooking oil when cooked instead of lantern fuel. 

I would also be OK with there being a flour mill found in "Perseverence Mills" that could be operational during an aurora and with a suitable supply of wheat grain or other grains (e.g. rye) in storage on the site.

ETA:  I don't like any idea that involves locking the player out of things until after X days.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

Beachcombing with crates or containers washing up that could be opened to reveal they contain some cooking supplies that survived the ocean.  

A crate or container that had one or two intact bottles of cooking oil or salt or a bag or two of flour or oats, maybe even potatoes, carrots, or some new cooking ingredient, or even a skillet or pot, would be plausible.  At least as much as double and single steel lockers washing up.  It would also add to the variety of things that could wash up, add to our capacity to use Frontier Cooking, and not be implausible.  

Of course that would just add to the incentive to base near a location with reasonable yield due to beachcombing.  The travois might then help make it more feasible to be based further away if one so chose.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UTC-10 said:

Beachcombing with crates or containers washing up that could be opened to reveal they contain some cooking supplies that survived the ocean.  

A crate or container that had one or two intact bottles of cooking oil or salt or a bag or two of flour or oats, maybe even potatoes, carrots, or some new cooking ingredient, or even a skillet or pot, would be plausible.  At least as much as double and single steel lockers washing up.  It would also add to the variety of things that could wash up, add to our capacity to use Frontier Cooking, and not be implausible.  

Of course that would just add to the incentive to base near a location with reasonable yield due to beachcombing.  The travois might then help make it more feasible to be based further away if one so chose.  

A small container, yes - and HL will probably do something like that.  An entire container ship, no. 😀 

As for respawning Acorns:

Over on the thread about New Animals I suggested there should be Squirrels, and when you where you kill the Squirrel you should then be able to search around that area for a potential stash of Acorns the Squirrel would have laid away.

As for getting grain to mill: There are Silos already in the game. make the Silos accessible, to extract heavy grain (Wheat or Oat) from, and add that to UpUpAway95's idea of a mill you can only use during the Aurora So you would have to take so much of the heavy grain, and then transport it to the mill, and wait till Aurora hits to make flour/meal for you.

Adds Risk and Rewards, and uses in game assets.  

Edited by Nikikeya
  • Upvote 2

Maybe the ingredients could be separated, with some effort, into meal packs of ingredients.  I may not want to carry 1.5 kg of Old Mill Flour to a location but maybe a smaller pack (0.20 kg) sufficient for one stew or four pies would give me better incentive to add it to my load.  

Wonder if stew packs or pie packs where only the natural ingredient - i.e. the fish or the meat - is needed (along with the pot or skillet) to be cooked would be viable. 

Since the devs have a lot on their plate it might be an enhancement for the future of Frontier Cooking.  

On 12/4/2023 at 1:17 PM, UTC-10 said:

Maybe the ingredients could be separated, with some effort, into meal packs of ingredients.  I may not want to carry 1.5 kg of Old Mill Flour to a location but maybe a smaller pack (0.20 kg) sufficient for one stew or four pies would give me better incentive to add it to my load.  

Wonder if stew packs or pie packs where only the natural ingredient - i.e. the fish or the meat - is needed (along with the pot or skillet) to be cooked would be viable. 

Since the devs have a lot on their plate it might be an enhancement for the future of Frontier Cooking.  

Being able to break down other ingredients like you can water would be very nice, Dunno if someone could mod that for the PC players. (Boy do I wish the PS4 version could use mods.) 

On 12/1/2023 at 10:01 AM, hozz1235 said:

fun fact, if that hay was grown for animal feed then it's extremely likely that there's a lot of other types of grasses in there besides wheat, this includes the seeds of a ton of different weeds which if ingested by humans could have a number of adverse effects. such as hallucinations, constipation, and possibly even death. Ergot for example is extremely common fungus in rye, it causes paranoia, hallucinations, spasms and erratic behaviours. a lot of historians actually believe that an Ergot infestation is what eventually led to the Salem witch trials 

you can use acorns to make flour, i think it's what they use to make gluten free flour but im not 100% sure. 

On 12/1/2023 at 12:57 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

Lol - You do know that I wasn't being serious, right?  I actually don't think the pre-processed foods, including flour and cooking oil, should be restocked at any point during a run.  I would be OK with acorns respawning (adding a few more "acorn flour" recipes or making it a suitable substitution in the current recipes) and with the new fish varieties producing some cooking oil when cooked instead of lantern fuel. 

I would also be OK with there being a flour mill found in "Perseverence Mills" that could be operational during an aurora and with a suitable supply of wheat grain or other grains (e.g. rye) in storage on the site.

ETA:  I don't like any idea that involves locking the player out of things until after X days.

old fashioned flour mills often run along river courses with a water wheel to power them, i could see something like that being added to the game eventually, you wouldnt even need the aurora to run it so long as you kept it mostly free of ice. considering it seems to be a relitively modern comunity without a big focus on farming though i doubt we'll see any flour mills old fashioned or otherwise. 

a lumber mill on the other hand...

14 hours ago, GuardianCreature said:

old fashioned flour mills often run along river courses with a water wheel to power them, i could see something like that being added to the game eventually, you wouldnt even need the aurora to run it so long as you kept it mostly free of ice. considering it seems to be a relitively modern comunity without a big focus on farming though i doubt we'll see any flour mills old fashioned or otherwise. 

a lumber mill on the other hand...

Lumber mills are more likely in most places on GBI, I agree.  However, Pleasant Valley is clearly a farm with several bales of straw lying out in the field, as is Spence's Homestead and Paradise Meadows Farm.  Surely, they sold their crops somewhere for processing (most likely into flour) since there is little evidence of a significant livestock operation (i.e. feedlot with lots of corrals, cattle squeezes, and such) at any of them (although PV does have a barn and probably did have some livestock, but likely not enough to consume the crops from all of the fields evident in that zone). 

Yes, the old-fashioned flour mills used water wheels, but there are more modern ones that don't; hence my suggestion for an  aurora powered one instead (just to keep up with a prevalent theme in the game).

• Upvote 1