Render distance annoyances

BugReportEnthusiast

Two annoying problems that draw range causes sometimes: 

1. Hunter blinds have a surprisingly small draw range, which makes spotting them from a distance difficult.
This is quite annoying in regions like Forlorn where it's all flat and wide, and especially Airfield, where the Blind is a pretty important landmark

2. Same deal but with raw meat. Harvest an animal and leave the meat next to it, the carcass despawns and now you cannot find where you left your 45kg of moose meat because they have a super short draw range. It's quite annoying when it happens. The work around is to leave 2-3 sticks next to the pile, since sticks have a much higher draw range.

It would be very much appreciated if the draw range could be increased for these two things (maybe also cooked meat?) to prevent frustration (if anyone's wondering, i am playing on ultra graphics) 

• Upvote 5

True. I Play on Xbox Series X with 30 FPS (higher resolution this way on a 4k big screen and the game runs ok for me) and the vanishing meat is kinda annoying  - i leave a campfire near the meat anyway bcoz i play hard mode and harvesting without fire is imopossible anyway. This way i can see that someting is there from a far but yeah - the meat vanishes way way to fast. 

It's not something that really bothers me.  As suggested above, your campfire, even when burned out, will enable you to identify the spot where your meat should be at an distance anyways.  You can also temporarily spray paint the area to get it marked on your map.  I've always reasoned that it was something you stashed/hidden and shouldn't be easy for anyone to just spot.

The same sort of applies to hunting blinds.  They aren't really meant to stand out as landmarks, but rather are meant to blend into the surrounding terrain.  You can also use a can of spray paint to make them stand out on your map.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I certainly agree that the hunter's blinds should be visible from quite far away.  After all, they are a structure like any other.

Yes, they are a structure.  However, they are painted not to stand out but rather to blend into the snowy surroundings.  Ideally, everything should have as long a draw range as possible, but it's not something that really bothers me.  It bothers me more that I'm suddenly noticing animals not starting to move until I get nearer to them.

Edited by UpUpAway95

14 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

It's not something that really bothers me.  As suggested above, your campfire, even when burned out, will enable you to identify the spot where your meat should be at an distance anyways.  You can also temporarily spray paint the area to get it marked on your map.  I've always reasoned that it was something you stashed/hidden and shouldn't be easy for anyone to just spot.

The same sort of applies to hunting blinds.  They aren't really meant to stand out as landmarks, but rather are meant to blend into the surrounding terrain.  You can also use a can of spray paint to make them stand out on your map.

The easiest solution is just to drop 2 sticks near the meat, since these draw from further away

Still though, might as well make the change to remove any necessity for a workaround, right? 

1 minute ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

The easiest solution is just to drop 2 sticks near the meat, since these draw from further away

Still though, might as well make the change to remove any necessity for a workaround, right? 

Depends on what else it affects, performance-wise.  As I said in my most recent comment - it bothers me more that I'm recently noticing animals that are there but don't start moving at all until I start approaching them.  I can headcanon a "reason" for a hunter wanting to not have his blind stand out like a sore thumb.  I can't reason away that notably paralyzed bear.

4 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Depends on what else it affects, performance-wise.  As I said in my most recent comment - it bothers me more that I'm recently noticing animals that are there but don't start moving at all until I start approaching them.  I can headcanon a "reason" for a hunter wanting to not have his blind stand out like a sore thumb.  I can't reason away that notably paralyzed bear.

well yeah but that's a separate issue

34 minutes ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

well yeah but that's a separate issue

I don't necessarily know that since I'm not a programmer.

ETA:  For me, the campfire is probably the easiest and most definitive marker for the meat issue.  Nine times out of ten, I've built the fire in order to harvest the animal - no need to worry about dropping additional sticks.

Edited by UpUpAway95

13 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I don't necessarily know that since I'm not a programmer.

ETA:  For me, the campfire is probably the easiest and most definitive marker for the meat issue.  Nine times out of ten, I've built the fire in order to harvest the animal - no need to worry about dropping additional sticks.

ETA2:  BTW, nothing I'm saying suggests that they should not fix a problem.  They should, but they should also fix many larger problems the game still has even after the last QOL update.  Also, there are sometimes compromises that need to be made - if fixing one problem causes another to get worse, they should first consider that.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Yes, they are a structure.  However, they are painted not to stand out but rather to blend into the snowy surroundings.  Ideally, everything should have as long a draw range as possible, but it's not something that really bothers me.  It bothers me more that I'm suddenly noticing animals not starting to move until I get nearer to them.

I suppose they do blend in slightly, but not nearly enough they would be camouflaged from a distance. They are a man-made structure that abnormally stands out against the landscape.  Now if they had netting applied, that would enhance their camouflage much more by breaking up the outline.

image.png.d3d68bdc9ff8563b3813e3ad31dc79c1.png

46 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I suppose they do blend in slightly, but not nearly enough they would be camouflaged from a distance. They are a man-made structure that abnormally stands out against the landscape.  Now if they had netting applied, that would enhance their camouflage much more by breaking up the outline.

image.png.d3d68bdc9ff8563b3813e3ad31dc79c1.png

Still - I can still headcanon a reason for them not standing out (i.e. not being able to notice them until one gets closer than if they were a watch tower (painted bright red).  IRL, hunter's don't want their blinds to be very visible.  It's just the reason the "problem" doesn't annoy me. 

Again, I'm not saying that it is something that HL should not fix.  They should.  It's just not a problem that annoys me.  Conversely, stationary bears in the distance do "annoy" me.  IF fixing the render of hunting blinds and meat means making the "stationary bear" issue worse (that is, that their stationary behaviour would become more noticeable due to a lengthened draw distance, I would prefer to live with the shorter draw distance.  If they can fix it without worsening that, then their fixing it certainly won't "annoy" me either.

The OP simply stated that, compared to everything else, hunter's blinds (for whatever reason) do not show at a distance like other objects do.  I agree with the OP and believe they should.  This doesn't "annoy" me either, just agreeing.  Sounds like you agree also 😀

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

The OP simply stated that, compared to everything else, hunter's blinds (for whatever reason) do not show at a distance like other objects do.  I agree with the OP and believe they should.  This doesn't "annoy" me either, just agreeing.  Sounds like you agree also 😀

More accurately - I don't disagree - and the word "annoyances" is in the title.😀

19 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

More accurately - I don't disagree - and the word "annoyances" is in the title.😀

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Again, I'm not saying that it is something that HL should not fix.  They should.

You're saying they should fix it, therefore you agree something is wrong. 😆

I agree with the op...  I have enough trouble finding wolf carcasses never mind finding meat ..  and if I'm honest the crows can be impossible to see sometimes too.. 

The blinds are a bit indistinct but I guess they're meant to be.. and once you know where they are you're fine anyway,except in lousy weather..

11 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

They can really be misleading sometimes, right?!  I run off in one direction only to discover the sound is fading.  Run back the other way...

Very true... The random ones that just fly past don't help either..