FM for the Pilgrim?

Nalliah

So, in the interest of expanding my own gameplay, still on Pilgrim level, I decided to try to survive in the Forlorn Muskeg. After toppling through ice numerous times, and several false starts, I finally figured out how to get to the Spence homestead, sprint over weak ice, and always travel light. There are not many food resources and it all soon got a bit dull. My current run began in FM-- but I spawned on the railtracks by the rail tunnel and just headed into Mystery Lake!

Any thoughts, hints, tips on FM? I may return on this run after ML gets old.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Nalliah said:

So, in the interest of expanding my own gameplay, still on Pilgrim level, I decided to try to survive in the Forlorn Muskeg. After toppling through ice numerous times, and several false starts, I finally figured out how to get to the Spence homestead, sprint over weak ice, and always travel light. There are not many food resources and it all soon got a bit dull. My current run began in FM-- but I spawned on the railtracks by the rail tunnel and just headed into Mystery Lake!

Any thoughts, hints, tips on FM? I may return on this run after ML gets old.

I've noticed the lack of food ...animals.. even with wolves on maximum it can still be pretty empty. It's why I don't stay there very long.. 

I suppose you could live on cat tails  for a while,if you're happy to cover the entire area collecting them... or nip up to marsh ridge and get the birch bark,bunnies that are there...    that is of course if you don't get the moose or bears.

• Upvote 1

There are several paths without any weak ice. Usually connecting islands when they are close together. It's not that hard to figure out. The difficulty is doing it in heavy fog.

For food there is lots of cat tail in FM. You just need a handful a day. But it's spread around all over the map. Also on the other side of the rail tracks. Plus rose hip and reshi tea. Or get a weapon and hunt deer.

• Upvote 3

Forlorn muskeg is a neat region. Lots of cat tails, the only outdoor forge in the game, tons of reishi mushrooms, decent amount of coal spawns, and a birch bark forest.

But the lack of any shelter that isn't a cave can get old, and you can get lost very easily in heavy fog or a blizzard with how open, flat and featureless the landscape is.

I don't think people generally base at forlorn muskeg to be honest, but it has some good utility

• Upvote 2

FM is likely one of my least favorite places.  Muskeg overlook (and that corner) typically have lots of wildlife.  There are a couple bear spawns as well as a moose, so hunting for food shouldn't be hard at all.  I took out 4 wolves at the area just South of the ML transition as well as at Spence's.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

FM is likely one of my least favorite places.  Muskeg overlook (and that corner) typically have lots of wildlife.  There are a couple bear spawns as well as a moose, so hunting for food shouldn't be hard at all.  I took out 4 wolves at the area just South of the ML transition as well as at Spence's.

Even with wolves on max Im still lucky to find one wolf near Spence's on pilgrim..  and once it's seen me and run away,it doesn't come back.

• Upvote 1

I kinda like FM. I am weird like that, I like the odd maps like FM, BR, and desolation point. Probably cause I like outdoor bases. I am not a hardcore player, ive only played interloper once and i usually play custom games based off stalker with item decay turned down and parasites off (hate that mechanic, it is ridiculously medically inaccurate). To balance i turn blizzards up.

I generally try to see how long I can survive at spence’s homestead or that tree in the overlook area. If I kill a bear I can make it 40 days. Staying warm is challenging there, i have never found the prepper’s stash base. I tend to do it mid to late game as there is much more fun to be had in early game elsewhere. 

I will sometimes do multiple stints there, with excursions to the lower part of mountain town where I love that half collapsed base to hunt moose, and broken railroad to also hunt moose. The theme of those excursions is outdoor bases lol.

• Upvote 1

These are all interesting and informative perspectives. I like to play in an outdoor environment as much as possible. I do not like the "industrial" settings such as the Carter Dam, Blackrock Prison, etc. or even the very civilized setting of Mountain Town, aside from Milton Basin. In all my playing I have never ever found a prepper's stash. Maybe they do not show up on Pilgrim? Or I have no idea what I am looking for?

5 hours ago, Nalliah said:

In all my playing I have never ever found a prepper's stash. Maybe they do not show up on Pilgrim? Or I have no idea what I am looking for?

Oh, you'll know one when you see it!  Sticks out like a sore....hatch ;)  If you're interested in spoilers, the community is here to help!  I have a google doc in which I've taken a screen snippit of each one's location.  Lots of online resources too.

10 hours ago, Serenity said:

The prepper caches were reworked recently. There is now a fixed one on many maps, rather than being random in only ML and PV.

Hide contents

There is a connecting path along the map edge between the Bunkhouses and Spence's Farm. It's along that

Now i gotta go to FM and find that…..