Thoughts on the camera

DIA

You know that future updates to Tales from the far territory should add a camera. But how will this camera be useful? After all, you can just turn on screen recording! I think that this camera can be placed on the ground and left. The camera will record what is happening. It will be possible to record a bear up close, or a wolf! What do you think? Write!

Oh... you mean a video camera? 🤔

Seems to me (at least in order to be consistent with the lore) that it could only potentially work during an aurora.
We are already getting an in-game traditional camera (for photography), and I think that's a wonderful addition.

However, I don't really see my survivor wanting to wait for an aurora to record a video... then wait for another aurora to watch it later. :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

My assumption about the camera is that it will have no effect on survival gameplay, but will be a way for us to take screenshots that we can use later to decorate bases (hanging in photo frames, presumably?). A bit like how other games have different outfits for their PCs that a player can choose, that don't effect gameplay.

It makes sense to me: TLD inspires users to take a lot of screenshots just because it is so beautiful. Screenshots are a huge part of the culture we've created as fans, too, more than any other game I'm aware of. I think (and hope) that the coming camera is Hinterland acknowledging how much we love to take pictures of the breathtakingly gorgeous views we find, and how much it's part of our fan community culture, and incorporating that in-universe.

I also love the idea that we will have a mechanic to do something that is not part of the fight for survival, but is just nice.

We'll see!

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DIA said:

I think that this camera can be placed on the ground and left.  The camera will record what is happening. It will be possible to record a bear up close, or a wolf! What do you think?

1 hour ago, DIA said:

I meant a film handheld video camera. This camera does not require electricity, and shooting occurs by twisting the handle on the side!

The Hand-crank Movie/Film Cameras have the other sort of problem...  we couldn't just set up and walk away, because someone needs to crank the handle.  So, while it's true that the old Movie Cameras are purely mechanical and do not require electricity... it also means we have to be the one turning the crank... so we couldn't really get footage of wildlife any closer than we normally could anyway. 🤔

I appreciate the creativity of this Wish List item... but for me, I think that if I did really want to record some video, I'd probably just look into  OBS (since it's free and I can then make videos from all of my games rather than just one). 

Edited by ManicManiac
Edited to clarify...
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, xanna said:

My assumption about the camera is that it will have no effect on survival gameplay, but will be a way for us to take screenshots

Spot on :)  
That's what I hope for with the new camera as well.

21 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

image.png.6153caa9c4f28d303596402574b19010.png
Super curious to find out more about this... Hopefully it becomes a cleaner way to take HUD-less screenshots.

I mean, currently on the PC... I can press F10, but those images are just too big (files size that is).  So to get reasonably sized screenshots, I find I have to press F10 & F12 simultaneously (which sometimes if not timed perfectly results in two screenshots... one with HUD and one without).  

I suppose... this may give consolers' a better way to get screenshots also.  🤔

17 hours ago, xanna said:

My assumption about the camera is that it will have no effect on survival gameplay, but will be a way for us to take screenshots that we can use later to decorate bases (hanging in photo frames, presumably?). A bit like how other games have different outfits for their PCs that a player can choose, that don't effect gameplay.

It makes sense to me: TLD inspires users to take a lot of screenshots just because it is so beautiful. Screenshots are a huge part of the culture we've created as fans, too, more than any other game I'm aware of. I think (and hope) that the coming camera is Hinterland acknowledging how much we love to take pictures of the breathtakingly gorgeous views we find, and how much it's part of our fan community culture, and incorporating that in-universe.

I also love the idea that we will have a mechanic to do something that is not part of the fight for survival, but is just nice.

We'll see!

Because I wanna make everything part of surviving. Let's say the more photos u have in your base, the slower you'll gain cabin fever in there. Cause it's more homely or whatever.

On 9/22/2023 at 5:25 PM, hozz1235 said:

I'm assuming you're referring to an in-game camera?  If so, Trail & Game Cameras are very popular, but they do require power because they are motion-activated.  I suppose you could jerry-rig a car battery to it (in a fictional gameplay way).

The website already says that it will be film camera. You remember those? :)

Personally I don't really care about this feature. Making prints to hang on the wall is really the only interesting thing. But otherwise it's something most people will do once for the novelty and that's it. Seems like a strange thing to spend quite a lot of development time on.

• Upvote 1

You probably know Polaroid photographs that you can use to sketch the area. What if these photos were replaced by a new camera!🤔 You take a photo of the area, develop the photo, go to the place where you took the photo, and sketch the area!

• Upvote 1