Randomized chance to shoot yourself dead if you clean your gun without unloading.

mizel103

It would certainly be in keeping with "decisions have consequences" concept that underpin much of the thinking of The Long Dark, but given that they expected novices (people with no firearm experience or training) to play the game which to be Wintermute (Survival was an afterthought) and they tended to refrain from "warnings about doing dumb things"  (and there was no in-game help to provide advice) killing or inflicting a serious wound (which would heal in one day if the character didn't die outright) and with Wintermute the prior save game could be reloaded was probably a very low priority at the time and once the processes were coded not worth revisiting for perceived little gain to the game. 

The Survival mode devs have more problems to deal with than upending a long established process of normally unsafe gun handling by inflicting death (in a still perma-death game) or an injury that, if it was like most afflictions, would heal in one day of rest.   

I unload firearms before cleaning. Usually.  ☠️

Edited by UTC-10
ETA

On 29.08.2023 at 17:30, mizel103 said:

Либо мгновенная смерть, либо тяжёлая травма. Может показаться, что это чушь, но разгрузка происходит достаточно быстро, чтобы игроки настаивали на том, чтобы делать это каждый раз.

And if you repair weapons on the machine in the "black rock" or in "Bleak Inlet", can you also shoot yourself?

• Upvote 1

...actually performing maintenance on a weapon generally requires taking it a part (or at the very least clearing the chamber/breech to be able to properly scrub the bore), not pulling the trigger (or fumbling with the hammer/striker). :D 

Are their dummies out there who manage to negligently discharge a weapon anyway... sure.
But I kind of doubt Will or Astrid are that kind of stupid. :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Frankly, I'd rather not have something like this added... 
I think it would be a better idea to simply have the UI not allow a cleaning action to be started on a loaded weapon. :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
Fixing some typos...
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

This is just a game, (no offence htl, it's an extremely good one).    Of course gun safety is vital in real life ,as it should be.. but who stands 20 foot away from a moose or bear and tries to kill it?  Or walks into a place with a huge pack of ravenous wolves just for a few cans of sardines lol..

And if we're being honest, who hasn't mis-clicked once or twice..

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Это всего лишь игра (без обид, она очень хорошая). Конечно, безопасность оружия жизненно важна в реальной жизни, как и должно быть… но кто стоит в 20 футах от лося или медведя и пытается его убить? Или заходит в место с огромной стаей хищных волков только ради нескольких банок сардин, лол..

И если быть честным, кто не ошибся один или два раза...

I! I'm a hamster player! I’m bringing all the resources I find to the base! I shoot a bear from 20 feet, so the chance of a critical hit is higher! 😱

5 minutes ago, DIA said:

I! I'm a hamster player! I’m bringing all the resources I find to the base! I shoot a bear from 20 feet, so the chance of a critical hit is higher! 😱

I meant in real life😊.  But in game yes, the nearer to a base the kill is is a good strategy.