Chickens

J.W.P

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I actually checked (cause I was gonna ask to be able to make coops for ptarmigan to get eggs) But unlike with chickens Ptarmigan only lay during a short time in spring.

Chickens would be wonderful. goats or cows for meat and milk/cheese. Sheep for wool. 

I could just forget about finding stupid Astrid and move Will to the farm house in Pleasant Valley, and live a peaceful life ranching and merking all the bears and wolves that come too close to the barn. XD 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Chickens are hardy, but the extreme cold & wind would be a definite challenge. They can get frostbite on their feet and head/wattles. Also need to take into account the wolves -- you'd have to have a very safe enclosure with buried/high fencing, including over the top.

I've been watching a guy rebuild a cabin up in the Italian Alps. He has chickens (started with 4 but lost 2 due to dog attacks (& idiot owners)) -- he has solar panels & a backup generator & has hooked up a heat lamp to keep the coop at a warmer temperature & also a coil that keeps their water from freezing over.

You'd need to have decent food for them; the corn, oats & maybe fruit would work but they need some protein too, so maybe the dog food or meat scraps. You could also give them cooked eggs, but that's a little weird/creepy. Or there could be "chicken feed" added to the game.

It would create a purpose for all that bundled hay laying to waste in the fields, good for bedding and the coop floor.

I really do like the idea ... but how would you "find" the chickens? 

• Upvote 2