Wolves just keep coming ...

bysinda

A few days ago I arrived at Broken Railroad and the first thing on my list was to clear the area of all predators so I can roam and map the area without looking over my shoulder or constantly carrying a torch that blinds me every time the sun is out. So I did. But every day I go out I encounter yet another wolf. I haven't actually counted how many I've killed, but I think it's safe to say the number is close to 20, and that's just the area around the lake and the shed.

I think I had a similar experience in other regions, but can't remember where right now. 

From what I understand the timeframe for a wolf spawn is around 10 days, but does it apply to every region? Or some areas are just wolf-cursed? 🤔 Is there another factor?

There are definitely a lot of wolves around the maintenance shed and lake in BR. There's usually two up at the lodge, and one on the ridge between the bridge and the rope climb. The shed is a great spot for target practice as you can stand inside the outer bit of the shed and shoot through the windows and doorway. I usually just stand at the window with a bunch of raw meat or guts in my inventory and just wait for the wolves to come and shoot them. If you've got 3 scent marks then I swear every wolf for miles comes over. If you're lucky, you'll even get the bear to wander into the yard. I think at one point on stalker I had around 6-7 wolf bodies outside the window that faces towards to lake. You can put a campfire on the floor in there so between that and the bed, it's a good spot to cook up a bunch a meat without worrying about cabin fever as you're technically outdoors. There's the forge and workbench inside the shed, and plenty of crates to bust up for firewood. 

The yard outside the maintenance builing is the spot that i lost a 748 day interloper character - my first dramatic death.  I was fighting 3 wolves at once and i was a bit drunk and didnt use the shed to go in and out. Got jumped 3 times and died xD. Now when i come there i just use the shed and shoot all the wolves from there first so i can be safe. 

• Upvote 2

If you clear the area (shed/lake/cabin) of all wolves, they will respawn faster.  

Also, don’t completely harvest them, leave a half kilo of meat available, it delays the respawn.

If you clear a single area at a time, they tend to take longer to respawn.  

If there is an Aurora, they will respawn even if you just culled them all earlier in the day.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hozz1235 said:

I've recalled hearing that if you don't fully harvest the carcass, you can "extend" the re-spawn time.  I've never fully tested this myself.

That is true , it delays it for a few extra days  I think... Handy if you want some peace and quiet..and extra feathers

• Upvote 4

I have not really been over there on harder difficulties, but even on Voyager the wolves were non-stop. It felt like every time I took one step outside of the maintenance shed/yard there was a wolf popping out of nowhere/stalking me. Eventually I just started shooting them all and that did give me some breathing room........eventually! LOL. On top of that, I had a bear spawn and a moose spawn right behind the shed so that area was crazy active. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Retro Seamstress said:

The shed is a great spot for target practice as you can stand inside the outer bit of the shed and shoot through the windows and doorway. I usually just stand at the window with a bunch of raw meat or guts in my inventory and just wait for the wolves to come and shoot them. If you've got 3 scent marks then I swear every wolf for miles comes over.

That's what I always do hehe

19 hours ago, Serenity said:

That area is very wolfy, but it's generally not that bad. On Interloper it's about 3-4 around the maintenance yard, and the same at the lake. And two at the lodge. It would be more on Stalker.

I wouldn't say bad, just annoying 😬

2 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

If you clear the area (shed/lake/cabin) of all wolves, they will respawn faster.  

Also, don’t completely harvest them, leave a half kilo of meat available, it delays the respawn.

If you clear a single area at a time, they tend to take longer to respawn.  

If there is an Aurora, they will respawn even if you just culled them all earlier in the day.  

I did all that with most of them I think...just felt random. Not a day in peace, heh. But with that many factors nothing much I can do. On the bright side I always have something to eat 😁

11 hours ago, James Hickok said:

The yard outside the maintenance builing is the spot that i lost a 748 day interloper character - my first dramatic death.  I was fighting 3 wolves at once and i was a bit drunk and didnt use the shed to go in and out. Got jumped 3 times and died xD. Now when i come there i just use the shed and shoot all the wolves from there first so i can be safe. 

Damn...I'm an interloper too and drinking wine. Someone's gonna die tonight xD

I shoot all of them to be safe too, but the same night I hear them snooping around outside again

• Upvote 1