Skills speedrun

cullam

How fast can you get all skills to level 5 (in stalker, as some of them can't really be done in interloper)? In in-game days, not real time. 

So, I don't think I'm in the mood to put in the effort of trying this challenge yet, but some discussion and theory crafting could be interesting. If in game days is the measurement, I'm thinking that books are not actually very useful, unless you're really stuck somewhere. Other than sewing, as repairing clothings takes long enough that you're doing well be reading a 5 hour book. 

So how would you even approach this challenge? Obviously need to do some fast exploring, to get yourself enough waste material to grind up skills. Cooking is pretty easy, but speed running some of the other skills would be interesting to try and grind them up as fast as possible... 

How would you approach this? How fast do you think you could do it? 

• Upvote 1

I think the old tactic of “shredding” meat is invalid these days, so carcass harvesting will be difficult unless you have a lot of books.

Cooking can be ground by… well, cooking everything you find on multiple short (as long as cooking time) duration campfires, which will in turn grind Firestarting. With torches, you can then light single-stick fires while the food cooks to grind Firestarting even more.

Fishing… by reading, crafting fishhooks, or fishing while the food is cooking.

Mending… I’m sure the wolves will be glad to oblige ;).

Rifle and revolver by shooting everything that moves. 

Gunsmithing by reloading all the ammo that the above will use.

Archery by shooting 200 fire-hardened arrows at a bear from a safe spot for an hour or two.

• Upvote 1

For mending I also like camping out in blizzards... give me more excuse to mend a lot quicker than normal wear-and-tear.
Plus, outdoor fireboxes (like burn barrels, rim grills, etc...) are wind-proof and won't ever blow out.  So places like the small picnic spot next to the church in Thompson's Crossing is a wonderful spot to camp outdoors and tank blizzards (as long as you keep the fire in the rim grill going).

:coffee::fire::coffee:

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

For mending I also like camping out in blizzards... give me more excuse to mend a lot quicker than normal wear-and-tear.
Plus, outdoor fireboxes (like burn barrels, rim grills, etc...) are wind-proof and won't ever blow out.  So places like the small picnic spot next to the church in Thompson's Crossing is a wonderful spot to camp outdoors and tank blizzards (as long as you keep the fire in the rim grill going).

:coffee::fire::coffee:

I keep forgetting blizzards damage gear, not sure why it makes sense... 😁

I wonder if falling in water does too.    .  I didn't really notice on my little experiment so maybe it's so small as to not be really noticeable.

• Upvote 1

I think in general, reading a book is the equivalent of doing the activity successfully 10 times. So many skills might be faster to grind up on a speed run by just doing the thing as many times as you can. Especially once you factor the time put into looking for books. Fishing, you're probably better off reading a book for 5 hours, than trying to catch 10 fish in those 5 hours, at least at lower skills. Sewing, you're almost certainly better off reading the book, unless I'm forgetting some items that can be repaired in under 30 minutes. 

I love the suggestion of going ham on a Bear with Fire-hardened arrows! 

Maybe after I'm done exploring my current run, I'll see if I can give this speed run a try, and share my findings... 

• Upvote 2