Match stacking

cullam

I really hope that this was a deliberate choice, and not a temporary accident from the recent condition stacking bug fix. But it seems like now, all matches go in one big stack, with a shared condition. This is great! It was always a pain having many individual stacks of a common item, that doesn't seem to actually have a condition that matters. (I've never seen match condition get low, even on 500 day games - so I'd always wished we could just get rid of it, and have them stack easily)

• Upvote 1

Found this a bit ago... cross posting my findings here; for your reference.

On 7/9/2023 at 10:10 AM, ManicManiac said:

I knew there were some issues with stacking and item condition...
I was a bit distressed to realize we can exploit it to boost the condition of otherwise like items.

I just found this with matches.

20230709100631_1.thumb.jpg.91887a0408c98251b657b97b4a9d53eb.jpg20230709100736_1.thumb.jpg.e2954849b5d4b5f124b758196faa76c7.jpg
After shuffling them around... all my wood matches are 90% and the carboard matches are now all 87%

[Conditions:]
If I add matches to an inventory (pack or container - doesn't matter), the matches that are being transferred just merges with the extant stack.  If the condition of the stack it's joining is of higher condition... we effectively reset the condition for that item (because it's erroneously merging with another stack).

Reporting and opening a ticket later... This is madness. 🤭

:coffee::fire::coffee:
images (300×168)

When matches were set to not have any condition loss, like fire accelerant, they're condition was not reset to 100%, like fire accelerant, so the matches could not be assembled into appropriate stacks, like fire accelerant.  Been a complaint ever since.  

Things that were ruined (condition 0%) such as antibiotics, pain killers, water purification tablets, tins of coffee, and boxes of herbal tea used to be combinable with higher condition examples of the same item and *voila* they took on the higher condition.  Then that got fixed.  Ruined stays ruined and does not really combine easily  even with ruined examples of the same item.  Possibly as part of that "fix" certain other effects were introduced that escaped notice at that time.  

I combined my cardboard and wood matches into two big stacks.  (Pilgrim) Gods I have a lot of matches not that it matters.  I still think like the book/box of matches I have on me are the last matches on earth.  Ingrained habit from long game-play. 

1 hour ago, UTC-10 said:

I still think like the book/box of matches I have on me are the last matches on earth.  Ingrained habit from long game-play. 

Kind of funny how we are about that, huh? ;)  I'm the same way.  I will go out of my way to haul stuff to a 6-burner stove just so I can be more efficient with the wood I have (even though it's everywhere).

I remember when I first started playing, posting a question on how best to utilize certain resources.  Someone answered, essentially saying, I would die of boredom before running out of resources.  They are right, yet I still have that mentality.  This is especially true with the revisions to beachcombing.

So true.  I need to find an eight cooking surface stove for the six pots and two skillets I now have.  Have to economize on the dryer, washer, locker, two kitchen cabinets that are full of sticks, and the two heaps of sticks I have in the kitchen and living room at the Farmstead.  Not counting the cabinet of 50 coal I have stashed as well.  

If Hinterland introduced a trailer of 2,000 liters of lamp oil next to the Farmstead my first thought would be GREAT and my second thought would be "what do I do when it runs out".  😁