clothing soaked and frozen

I don't see this reported anywhere: The outer layer of my clothing is abruptly soaked and frozen and will not thaw or dry.

I spent a night sleeping in the truck opposite the Jailer's Residence on Blackrock. I had a fire burning in the barrel all night. There was a blizzard going when I went to sleep, but it had gone by the time I woke up. When I woke up, the outer layer of clothing was all soaked and 3 pieces were frozen (boots, gloves, hat). I spent an hour beside a 100+ degree fire and the soaked and frozen clothing has not thawed or dried at all. I took off the outer layer and stood beside the fire for another hour, still no change.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Leo Atrox said:

I don't see this reported anywhere: The outer layer of my clothing is abruptly soaked and frozen and will not thaw or dry.

I spent a night sleeping in the truck opposite the Jailer's Residence on Blackrock. I had a fire burning in the barrel all night. There was a blizzard going when I went to sleep, but it had gone by the time I woke up. When I woke up, the outer layer of clothing was all soaked and 3 pieces were frozen (boots, gloves, hat). I spent an hour beside a 100+ degree fire and the soaked and frozen clothing has not thawed or dried at all. I took off the outer layer and stood beside the fire for another hour, still no change.

I've noticed that too. You have to drop them on the floor before they'll start thawing out..   I think it is a bug and not intentional but I could be wrong.

@Admin  can you clarify if this is a bug please..   if it's not I'll file a ticket.   Thank you.

• Upvote 1

That shouldn't happen inside a truck obviously. I've also noticed that spending time in a blizzard in an open barn at a fire barrel. As far as I can recall that used to be fine. But my clothing got soaked.

I wouldn't mind at all if it were a feature that you have to taken off frozen clothing, but if such changes are intentional they should be communicated.

• Upvote 1

This is a bug, and they are aware of it, I reported it myself and had a conversation with support to work through the specifics.

This applies only when you are outdoors, and weather conditions are such that your clothing would continue to get wetter. Such as, you're 50% wet, take shelter in a fishing hut with a door, close the door, start a rip-roaring fire...you'll continue to get wet. UNTIL you literally drop your clothes on the ground by the fire. At that point you can pick them back up and put them back on, and you will begin to dry/thaw as normal.

Indoor locations with an area transition are immune to this. I am not yet certain if it also happens to "indoor/outdoor" locations such as Forestry Lookouts, but if it does, same rules will apply. Light a fire, throw your clothes on the floor, put them back on.

• Upvote 3

On 7/2/2023 at 6:21 PM, Stranzua said:

This is how I got frostbite for the first time ever. I was sleeping in a helicopter in the Forsaken Airfield with a bearskin bedroll and woke up with my clothes wet and frozen. 

I play a Custom game with Interloper weather elements so I'm in the habit of never sleeping outdoors more than 4 hours at a crack. That's the longest I'm confident I can sleep and still be confident that I can fully recover from whatever bad RNG throws my way. Had I not been in that habit, I'd have suffered the same fate as you.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, stapeliad said:

This frostbite/freezing clothing bug is- IMHO- making the game unplayable. 
It eliminates sleeping outdoors, even with a fire, as an option completely.
Then... what's the point?

Taking them off inside should stop the problem. I think.  And if there's any spare gear around you could wear that for a bit to help keep warm. 

But I know it's a pain and you have my sympathies.

• Upvote 3

The cold made my head feel so thick I missed that.  It works. You can strip outdoors by the fire and clothes will unfreeze.  What a pain but at least it works.  Carrying spare gear adds too much weight...Thanks!

Edited by stapeliad
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, stapeliad said:

The cold made my head feel so thick I missed that.  It works. You can strip outdoors by the fire and clothes will unfreeze.  What a pain but at least it works.  Carrying spare gear adds too much weight...Thanks!

I found out after I took an unexpected swim in coastal highway.....  Luckily there were some ragged clothes in the jackrabbit cabin so left my wet stuff on the floor all night and just used the rubbish gear temporarily.