Recycled Can Porridge

Porridge should be cookable in recycled cans, since it only needs 0.5L of water (which is conveniently how much water recycled cans hold)

Porridge isn't anything complex that would need a fancier pot or skillet, and seeing that there aren't any cooking recipes for recycled cans, this one is a no brainer as the first to add

Simple and sweet addition to help newly spawned survivors me thinks. The only other level 1 recipes are stews, and even those need a cooking pot which is hard to find at the start.

Pic related, artistic representation of final product

recycled can porridge.png

Edited by BugReportEnthusiast
formatting, removing uncessecary words
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 1

Speaking of someone who's a real-life fan of porridge, both the oatmeal and cream of wheat variety.... this would be very impossible. When I make a bowl of this stuff, half a bowl of ingredients (water + oats or whatever) becomes a full bowl because the oats or wheat puff up. You stir it and it gets fluffy. And stirring is a critical part of the process so you need empty room in the container so you can mix without spilling. Whether you cook it on the stove or microwave it, same result. And you have to be careful it doesn't boil over and mushroom into a huge mess. lol

So, the fact that you can't make it in cans checks out for me. :D

But a small portion would be nice. :coffee:

Edited by Sherri
  • Upvote 1

Cook pots are hard to find at start? Even on ‘loper you usually get one within a few days… and most regions have enough natural/found food to last you until then 🙂.

I do agree with @Sherri though, if this were implemented, you should only get a small portion.

(I detest porridge, though, so I wouldn’t really know. :D)

Edited by conanjaguar
  • Upvote 1

I love this idea!  I do agree that you definitely couldn’t cook a 100g portion in a can.  I cook 30g of oats with 180ml skimmed milk in a small pan (my breakfast every single day… I know, living life in the fast lane, right?  I just love porridge!).  This would work in a can although would probably stick quite badly as would be a pain to stir, especially on a camp fire with open flame.  But… when you’re in the frozen wilderness with only a can and some oats, you aren’t going to worry about ruining the cooking surface of your best can!

For computer game logic convenience, how about 50g portion (0.05kg) with 250ml water?  Please Hinterland!  Oh, and I’d love to be able to add rose hips (although even better if you could add dried fruit!).

PS fully prepared to now be known as ‘the porridge girl’!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, KateFrancesca said:

This would work in a can although would probably stick quite badly as would be a pain to stir, especially on a camp fire with open flame.

This is what I was thinking.  It would burn quickly too so would have to be almost constantly stirred.

• Upvote 1