New Food Decay And Storage

Anybody experimenting with decay rates and best storage for the new foods? 

I only very recently found some of the new things. The oats I found at 8% appear to be staying at 8%, so they might be like salt crackers and be immortal. Found some corn and ham but haven't tested, may do so next time I get a chance to play by leaving one inside and one outside for a day or two. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I didn't do a long test.  It seems that cooked stews and pies decay about the standard rate (about 3%) per day if kept inside and 1% if kept outside.  This kind of decay seems to be consistent with that of [cooked] meat and fish.  I suppose that since the frontier cooking produces stews, pies, and bread that they would decay in about the same fashion as cooked meat and fish under the same environmental conditions.  

I made some fresh broth which I put outside and it held its condition better but I forgot to check it before I departed a few days later for another place.  

There is no mechanic specifically for food preservation.  

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had much time to play lately, but I have some preliminary results. 

Potato - seems to decay at the same rate inside or outside, and rather quickly.
Carrot - Results pending, no decay inside or outside in five days
Oats - Definitely better stored inside
Salt - No decay yet on the jar I've been carrying for a week
Flour - Results pending, no decay inside or outside in five days
Broth - Definitely better stored outside, decays somewhat quickly
Corn - Forgot to set up experiment until today
Ham - Same as Corn 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind if they added some kind of airtight containers, and I can see them doing this in the future. If they add a way to use salt to preserve meat, then I don't see why they wouldn't also add a way to preserve cooked meals or ingredients. 

Does anyone know the cooked recipes decay rates.....   I put pancakes in the fridge hoping to save them for a while but had to eat them after about two weeks..

I also made some of lily's pancakes two days ago and left them outside hoping it'd prolong the life but they're going down rather quickly too.

I tried making broth, some stews, and bannock.  IMO, if kept inside the items would decay at a rate similar to meat and fish kept inside.  Left outside, the decay rate looked comparable to that of meat and fish kept outside.  

I did notice that broth seemed to have a significantly slower decay curve if kept outside.  At a guess that would seem to say broth's decay time was more at 1,000 days (the standard decay time) than meat and fish.  

I didn't really pay close attention beyond these cursory checks.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...