Aurora visible in North America the next few nights

Starting tonight and into tomorrow pretty much all of Canada, Alaska, and the northernmost parts of the northernmost continental US states should have visibility, so keep an eye on the sky at the darkest part of the night. If you're in the red it's all but guaranteed, if you're in the green, eh don't be disappointed if you don't see anything but the odds are non-zero.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/aurora-viewline-tonight-and-tomorrow-night-experimental

• Upvote 3

My friend took a picture in North Poland where i live in my small town (3 k population) when i was away in Egypt for vacation. It was taken on the 28th of april in the evening. You can see the conjunction of Sun and Wenus and most important - Aurora. This have never happened in Poland - maybe in some old mans stories. They were seen in North Sweden or Norway but never so far south.  When i saw this i pictured TLD Aurora night.  So cool but it shows You how the climate changes or maybe its increase in Suns radiation i dont know but its pretty :D 

FB_IMG_1684323831514.jpg.ceb849a63a642640aa8de861e33ebc3b.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, James Hickok said:

My friend took a picture in North Poland where i live in my small town (3 k population) when i was away in Egypt for vacation. It was taken on the 28th of april in the evening. You can see the conjunction of Sun and Wenus and most important - Aurora. This have never happened in Poland - maybe in some old mans stories. They were seen in North Sweden or Norway but never so far south.  When i saw this i pictured TLD Aurora night.  So cool but it shows You how the climate changes or maybe its increase in Suns radiation i dont know but its pretty :D 

FB_IMG_1684323831514.jpg.ceb849a63a642640aa8de861e33ebc3b.jpg

Ofc i meant Moon and Wenus. Was thinking about sun in terms of aurora happening in first place. Actually there were a lot of observatiobs like that it seems this year. I always envy the northeners for having one and now we have our own 😃

Edited by James Hickok

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

ditto- apparently they were (very unusually) out in my part of the UK recently, but it was bonfire night so no chance of seeing them...

Were they?   I didn't hear or read anything...shucks....    I'm in the Midlands so I doubt I'd see it anyway.. but it would've been nice..

59 minutes ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

East here (although Midlands originally...) there's been a couple of 'you might see them if you're lucky' announcements in the last few years.

I think a trip to somewhere rural up North/ Scotland in the summer may have a fair chance these days

Which is when it's cloudy I imagine 😁.     I wish I could go north and watch them,sadly I'm agoraphobic so I'm stuck here.. maybe one day they'll be here.

• Upvote 1

I had seen several of them this summer and my mother hadn't seen them since she was a child.

Very cool.

Edit: just watched the video.  That's epic.

Also, did you guys know that if you're far north enough and it's really strong, arouras make a noise?

Edited by Third Try
  • Upvote 2