Hunting moose and animal HP

xanna

Do wounded moose heal up their Hit Points/health/condition? If I get a couple of hits in but don't kill it, will it slowly heal? What if I leave it overnight? Or what if it despawns for the aurora but reappears the next day? Is it still wounded?

I'm assuming that the moose kill works by HP. When I first started playing I read the fan wiki to understand how hunting works and was very misled. The wiki doesn't hint at HP at all, instead implies that an animal with either die by a critical hit/one-shot, or by bleeding out (though not the moose of course). However, when I started hunting it became obvious that there is animal HP. A shot wolf that you struggle with ends the struggle very quickly compared to an unharmed one. Players better than me kill bears by shooting them over and over with the bow until they drop - something that the wiki article implies is bad or unhelpful strategy, but clearly works. I've heard streamers talk about HP, too. Basically - what's the science on HP?

Thank you in advance, fellow survivors!

• Upvote 1

The game does not rely on hit points.  The wiki reference to critical hits (instant kills) and bleeding out is largely correct.  That is the way the animal model works.  If you think about it, that would be easier for the early computer programming than having to track what the hit points of each MOB in play at any given time.  

Repeatedly shooting an animal  has a chance of a critical result with each hit.  There is also a chance of a not-critical result which means a bleed.  

Bleeding a bear is one standard tactic for killing one.  It requires the infliction of one bleeding wound and not taking actions that could result in the bear being "healed" as a result.  This would apply to deer and wolves as well.  If the hit is a critical then the animal drops dead on the spot.  

I do not know whether moose heal.  I do recall that when "wounded" a moose will start to make noises completely aside from sounds like when threatening the character.  To me that signals that it is distressed (wounded).  I have never (yet) hunted a moose, then had to come back later to finish the job maybe days later or on its next spawn.  Since the moose when it disappears has despawned I would assume that when it respawns in the location that it spawns unwounded.  Maybe someone else knows different.  

• Upvote 2

To clarify, since I didn't mention it, a distressed moose will not die on its own, it has to be shot.  

On another note, FYI, even in Pilgrim which I play, a bleeding wolf that is about to die, if it is within range, will try to take a "bite out of you" before expiring.  It has happened a couple times to me.  Surprised the heck out of me at the time. 

Good luck. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

Repeatedly shooting an animal  has a chance of a critical result with each hit.  There is also a chance of a not-critical result which means a bleed.  

Bleeding a bear is one standard tactic for killing one.  It requires the infliction of one bleeding wound and not taking actions that could result in the bear being "healed" as a result.  This would apply to deer and wolves as well.  If the hit is a critical then the animal drops dead on the spot. 

At least in the "old architecture" of the game - It is worth noting that a wounded, bleeding bear will leave a constant blood trail even if it takes hours and hours to die, as will every other animal (except the moose who don't ever leave a blood trail).  However, a bear that has had a glancing blow will stop leaving a blood trail.  If that happens, the bear will not eventually bleed out and it appears to have healed.  I've seen the same thing happen once with a wolf where I followed it around for awhile as it continued to limp and then suddenly the blood trail ended and I could see in the distance that the wolf I had been following suddenly stopped limping. 

So, I think that the player who pummels the moose with consecutive non-critical hits is depleting an unseen health bar (perhaps just by making the critical hit chance go up with each hit), but then, I think, the wounded moose heals very quickly once the pummelilng stops (or the crit chance returns to its original value).

I'm not sure there is any way to conclusively say whether moose have HPs (I'm speaking strictly about Moose now).  I "believe" that each hit on the moose has a chance to kill it.  I've single-shot them multiple times, yet other times it takes multiple hits.  I use the rifle due the range, and I want to say my average hits on the moose before killing it is 2-3.

I don't think we can conclusively say whether the moose heals either, since each shot has it's own probability of killing it.