macOS update still needing to use open gl?

ndsz

I was really hoping that the new update would finally bring working metal support but in my case it still does not work and I need to force OpenGL 

is this only an issue on intel I wonder?

I've got a 9900k and 5700xt

it's not the end of the world, but I do everything in macOS except play the long dark. I hate having to boot windows just to play with decent performance 

I go from a smooth 85 fps playing 4k ultra in windows 11 to a stuttering and tearing 40 fps with identical settings using open gl in macOS 13.1 on the same computer

On 2/15/2023 at 8:16 PM, ndsz said:

I was really hoping that the new update would finally bring working metal support but in my case it still does not work and I need to force OpenGL 

is this only an issue on intel I wonder?

I've got a 9900k and 5700xt

it's not the end of the world, but I do everything in macOS except play the long dark. I hate having to boot windows just to play with decent performance 

I go from a smooth 85 fps playing 4k ultra in windows 11 to a stuttering and tearing 40 fps with identical settings using open gl in macOS 13.1 on the same computer

Thank you for posting. We understand this can be frustrating, and we continue to investigate solutions to this problem. Thank you for your patience. 

On 2/17/2023 at 3:10 PM, Admin said:

Thank you for posting. We understand this can be frustrating, and we continue to investigate solutions to this problem. Thank you for your patience. 

I sincerely hope this is the case. it's been an issue for so long though that one can't help but wonder whether there is actually a way to fix it or if it's just something we have to live with.  if it is indeed the latter it would be great to just know that instead of always hoping for it to be solved

It's possible that it's the video card; drivers perhaps the 5700xt's drivers don't support metal? @Admin can you tell us if metal 2 or metal 3 is required to run the game? I found this tidbit: 

How do you know if your Mac has Metal? Metal has been available on macOS since 2015 for Macs (2012 models or later) running OS X El Capitan. And Metal 2 (the second version of Metal) supports macOS High Sierra and later since 2017. For the Metal 3, Apple says it supports Apple silicon Macs and macOS Ventura or later.

Seems like it may be relevant to the original request...

4 hours ago, stratvox said:

It's possible that it's the video card; drivers perhaps the 5700xt's drivers don't support metal? @Admin can you tell us if metal 2 or metal 3 is required to run the game? I found this tidbit: 

Seems like it may be relevant to the original request...

5700 xt supports metal 3 

basically any hardware that officially runs Ventura has metal 3 support 

“Metal 3 is supported on the following hardware: iPhone and iPad: Apple A13 Bionic or later Mac: Apple silicon (M1 or later), AMD Radeon Pro Vega series, AMD Radeon Pro 5000/6000 series, Intel Iris Plus Graphics series, Intel UHD Graphics 630”

I run version 2.06 on a 2016 MacBook Pro (Intel Iris Graphics 550) under Monterey (12.6.3) (and have played prior versions for years). Under About, Graphics/Displays it says "Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 2". I've never had to use force openGL and never had these problems, so the issue is more particular or more complex than just metal support or intel versus M1.

Apparently (as I mentioned in another thread) there seems to be a particular problem with Metal 3 on Intel Macs with AMD cards that arises when running certain graphics workloads. I assume it's something not quite working out with the AMD driver and the new API. It's also not isolated to games, as I know of at least one AMD GPU Mac (iMac Pro with a Vega56) that fails rendering in Blender when using Metal since Ventura (which makes it Metal 3 if the hardware supports it), and that also show the same problems when running TLD as I found out earlier today. As also stated elsewhere I suspect this is a problem only Apple can fix.

However, and that's the good news: it's almost certainly entirely a software problem. So, provided our overlord, Tim Apple, wishes it to be, this will eventually get a fix. Also: at least those "legacy Macs" (9900K *cough*) run Windows. So while inconvenient there at least is a solution. Trust me, that's a hell of a lot better than having "Apple Silicon" and realizing that you now have to run something that has no Mac port in a VM that's dog slow because on top of virtualization you now also have to run Microsoft's not-so-great AMD64-on-ARM emulation in a VM - because if it doesn't have a Mac port it most likely has no ARM native Windows port either. Yes, it's as terrible as it sounds.

4 hours ago, Stuffed Plush Chainsaw said:

Apparently (as I mentioned in another thread) there seems to be a particular problem with Metal 3 on Intel Macs with AMD cards that arises when running certain graphics workloads. I assume it's something not quite working out with the AMD driver and the new API. It's also not isolated to games, as I know of at least one AMD GPU Mac (iMac Pro with a Vega56) that fails rendering in Blender when using Metal since Ventura (which makes it Metal 3 if the hardware supports it), and that also show the same problems when running TLD as I found out earlier today.

I wasn’t aware of this particular amd/metal 3 issue.  Thanks for the information 

I suppose this is sort of what I suspected/was implying when I wondered if it may be out of hinterland’s hands. Although I figured it was maybe specific to unity 

guess I’ll just play in windows for now and hope a macos update takes care of it in the future 

I guess what I’m hoping for from hinterland is some sort acknowledgment/explanation of what is happening 

if they straight up said “the long dark does not work with metal on x, y and z cpu/gpu combinations and we don’t know if it ever will” then so be it 

I’ll still buy any new content and play it however I can 

Edited by ndsz

20 hours ago, ndsz said:

if they straight up said “the long dark does not work with metal on x, y and z cpu/gpu combinations and we don’t know if it ever will” then so be it

In all likelihood they weren't aware of this as it isn't even clear what the exact root cause is that apparently only arises with certain configurations that aren't even that common. The vast majority of Macs out there run intel HD/Iris iGPUs, all the new ones run Apples "own" GPUs. Only a certain subset of at least three year old, rather expensive and hence much less common machines use AMD cards, and apparently only those running Ventura have this issue, and even then only a small portion of applications seem affected, probably all doing the one thing that this particular combination gets wrong. This is pretty much a bug from hell.

Edited by Stuffed Plush Chainsaw

1 hour ago, Stuffed Plush Chainsaw said:

In all likelihood they weren't aware of this as it isn't even clear what the exact root cause is that apparently only arises with certain configurations that aren't even that common. The vast majority of Macs out there run intel HD/Iris iGPUs, all the new ones run Apples "own" GPUs. Only a certain subset of at least three year old, rather expensive and hence much less common machines use AMD cards, and apparently only those running Ventura have this issue, and even then only a small portion of applications seem affected, probably all doing the one thing that this particular combination gets wrong. This is pretty much a bug from hell.

incidently, after reading your previous comment I did try running in Monterey. same issue there 

• 3 months later...

don't know if it's something hinterland did, or apple, or unity but can report metal seems to be working great now. 

latest update had no image with force gl on and tried taking it off. everything looks awesome and is running smooth. thanks someone!

• 2 weeks later...

looks like latest hot fix broke it again. 

I'm back to freezing at the disclaimer screen

guess I'm installing windows again

edit: managed to get past the disclaimer screen after a few tried with post process disabled 

Edited by ndsz

• 2 weeks later...

just too update, 

it's back to not really working for me 

I had it start up once the other day without post process disabled, after many many tries. 

it seems like it will start up one out of every twenty or so attempts? disabling post process or not doesn't really seem to change the odds..

On 7/14/2023 at 3:18 PM, ndsz said:

just too update, 

it's back to not really working for me 

I had it start up once the other day without post process disabled, after many many tries. 

it seems like it will start up one out of every twenty or so attempts? disabling post process or not doesn't really seem to change the odds..

If you are playing on Mac and previously used glcore, you will need to turn it off or switch to "-disable-postprocess." If you still require further assistance after following these steps, please reach out to us via the Support Portal. We appreciate your patience.http://hinterlandgames.com/support