What are your goals after you explored everything?

Shadox

After a little valheim break, im back to the best survival game ever and continue to play my ~300 day Interloper with 100% exploration. After looting and exploring every region, theres no logical goal anymore what one should do next.

How do you entertain yourself on ultralong Survivors?

The first thing i usually do when i finished everything is that i re-visit the Areas i've been rushing through first, stay for 20-30 Days, hunt the local bears while harvesting as much as i can and stash it in the local outpost for that map, and then move to the next Area. In FA, i might even try to stay 50 consecutive days. Im also going to map everything, which will be a pain in Interloper.

Excited to see how you guys keep yourself entertained on a Survivor that is finished, to get an idea what else i could do :)

Just now, Shadox said:

After a little valheim break, im back to the best survival game ever and continue to play my ~300 day Interloper with 100% exploration. After looting and exploring every region, theres no logical goal anymore what one should do next.

How do you entertain yourself on ultralong Survivors?

The first thing i usually do when i finished everything is that i re-visit the Areas i've been rushing through first, stay for 20-30 Days, hunt the local bears while harvesting as much as i can and stash it in the local outpost for that map, and then move to the next Area. In FA, i might even try to stay 50 consecutive days. Im also going to map everything, which will be a pain in Interloper.

Excited to see how you guys keep yourself entertained on a Survivor that is finished, to get an idea what else i could do :)

I hear the best thing to do is find a way to get renewable food for the rest of the run, and to get the best clothes in the game and grind for any achievements you don’t have

4 minutes ago, Moosemaster said:

I hear the best thing to do is find a way to get renewable food for the rest of the run, and to get the best clothes in the game and grind for any achievements you don’t have

I do have pretty much every achievement and every feat except nightwalker :) And the best clothes i can get since day 50 or so. Got over 1k hours in the game already, so those achievements came naturally as a side effect. Renewable stuff is a problem indeed. I probably abandon my main base in trappers around the 500/600 day mark, move half of its supplys to jackrabbits (for beachcombing saplings and ez fishing) and another half to FA for the next regions. But theres no need to do that now with ~60 arrows stashed away, 100 shafts stashed and still many saplings left. Every crucial item except firemaking items are respawning there, but they want to rework that, so maybe that is getting better or worse in the future.

My last long run was 750+ days until I lost it ... But my way of playing stays the same.. I rush through each area only grabbing what's necessary ,pausing at pv farm to drop off some weight. I never search a map more than about 25% so I have a reason to go back. Once I've done a tour of the whole map I have a break and spend time crafting,reading and stocking up on large supplies of meat and water.  Then I'll revisit each area again ,still only checking about a quarter of missed locations..  then rinse and repeat...    There are still unexplored areas on most  maps so if I'm in the mood I'll pick a map and just wander around for a while..  I do spend a lot of time just wandering in each area looking for animals to actually kill.  There's a serious lack of wildlife on pilgrim even when they're maxed out!   This method actually keeps me going for quite some time and I've yet to get to the stage of having nothing to do.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I think it's a matter of perspective.  To me, a survivor is never "finished"    ... at least not until they eventually die. 🤭
I have a tendency to only keep the bare essentials handy, that way I never feel too comfortable or too safe.
I also tend to create my own personal challenges and extra self-imposed rules on what I can or can't use (just to make life harder for my survivor).
I can't say I've ever felt bored while surviving on my own terms.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

Thats really similar Leeanda :) Stuff is decaying very fast on Interloper so i rarely stay more than 3 to 5 Days in a Region before moving on, until i looted every area. When i kill animals (or harvest carcasses in the beginning) i note it on that exact day, so i have an idea when to return when its finished, and use the time until its cured to loot other maps. And when im returning, its fun to survive from cave to cave without that "loot-pressure" :) TLD is the most fun when it switches from the hurry to a slow paced mode, at least for me, and thats the reason why i always prefer to keep playing my existing characters for as many days as possibleand only make a new one when the character of a particular difficulty dies. I play always a Interloper as main char, and a Stalker or Voyager as a side character for the days when i lack focus because of extra long shift or something like that.

Oh, and i absolutely hate that "pass time" thing. I use it only to warm up, or wait a Blizzard out when theres nothing to learn/harvest/cook/repair/craft. Every time i have no idea what else i could do, i have some firewood gathering days and a loooooong fishing session to get more oil :D

So even when theres nothing left to do, i want to use my time productively.

21 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I do spend a lot of time just wandering in each area looking for animals to actually kill.  There's a serious lack of wildlife on pilgrim even when they're maxed out!   This method actually keeps me going for quite some time and I've yet to get to the stage of having nothing to do.

Yep, that Wildlife getting sparser thing really kicks in after many days. I think at least on Interloper it maxes out around Day 120 or so, but there are some Days i dont see a single animal on entire ML. Not even wolves. Mostly Days that start off with a blizzard or fog, but its still crazy

27 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I think it's a matter of perspective.  To me, a survivor is never "finished"    ... at least not until they eventually die. 🤭
I have a tendency to only keep the bare essentials handy, that way I never feel too comfortable or too safe.
I also tend to create my own personal challenges and extra self-imposed rules on what I can or can't use (just to make life harder for my survivor).
I can't say I've ever felt bored while surviving on my own terms.

I meant finished in terms of looting or getting the best equipment :D

That sounds very interesting! Mind to name a few of those goals or challenges? I might try some of them. My Survivor grows on me after so many days as well. I probably could not limit myself to make it more dangerous. Heck, i even keep a reserved 5 cloth + 15 sticks for an emergency snowshelter ready every time i stay in areas other than ML, Milton, CH for example. I cant see myself wearing anything less than Bear Coats after i got them, or not carrying a Bow/Knife/Flaregun with me at all times.

Well, TLD is always punishing if you feel too comfortable anyways. I remember the one time when i felt too confident, shot an arrow a bit over the head off a Wolf outside of Maintenance Shed and ended up having to fight 3 wolves. I ended up killing all 3, but ive been down to 15% health and one of those shredded my bearroll. That kinda reminded me to keep it safe 🤣

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Shadox said:

Thats really similar Leeanda :) Stuff is decaying very fast on Interloper so i rarely stay more than 3 to 5 Days in a Region before moving on, until i looted every area. When i kill animals (or harvest carcasses in the beginning) i note it on that exact day, so i have an idea when to return when its finished, and use the time until its cured to loot other maps. And when im returning, its fun to survive from cave to cave without that "loot-pressure" :) TLD is the most fun when it switches from the hurry to a slow paced mode, at least for me, and thats the reason why i always prefer to keep playing my existing characters for as many days as possibleand only make a new one when the character of a particular difficulty dies. I play always a Interloper as main char, and a Stalker or Voyager as a side character for the days when i lack focus because of extra long shift or something like that.

Oh, and i absolutely hate that "pass time" thing. I use it only to warm up, or wait a Blizzard out when theres nothing to learn/harvest/cook/repair/craft. Every time i have no idea what else i could do, i have some firewood gathering days and a loooooong fishing session to get more oil :D

So even when theres nothing left to do, i want to use my time productively.

Yep, that Wildlife getting sparser thing really kicks in after many days. I think at least on Interloper it maxes out around Day 120 or so, but there are some Days i dont see a single animal on entire ML. Not even wolves. Mostly Days that start off with a blizzard or fog, but its still crazy

At the moment I'm just passing time until the update turns up . I'm on day 9 at the moment and  started in ash and have just left twm. In that time I've seen two wolves,near waterfall cave in ash, one deer in twm, one moose also n twm and three bears. That's it ...  It makes things very difficult . I have turned the weather to stalker settings so even though there's some good clothing in pilgrim ,they're not going to keep me warm enough for very long.    

I do have to sleep through the night though,either due to me running everywhere and tiring poor Astrid out so much or because of poor visibility.my eyes aren't as keen as they used to be.😊

Like you I mark bear and moose  kills so I can check respawn times.. honestly though I've had a bear respawn after 5 days so I think there may be an issue of some sort there.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I do have to sleep through the night though,either due to me running everywhere and tiring poor Astrid out so much or because of poor visibility.my eyes aren't as keen as they used to be.😊.

I wouldnd really want to wander around there in the night as well, especially on TWM and AC. Less visibility is a thing, but what really scares me is a sudden aurora near wolf packs 🤣 Oh, and AC is confusing enough even in daylight.

Now you mention tiring your astrid, have you kept that exhaust parameter on high? Its set as medium on Interloper, while its high on Stalker/Voyager/Pilgrim. So even when you have to eat and drink more, and have less loot, you wont get tired that fast. And thats always something that i find kinda annoying on difficultys below Interloper. Those survivors seem to have the endurance of an 90 year old person, the difference is huge!

23 minutes ago, Shadox said:

I wouldnd really want to wander around there in the night as well, especially on TWM and AC. Less visibility is a thing, but what really scares me is a sudden aurora near wolf packs 🤣 Oh, and AC is confusing enough even in daylight.

Now you mention tiring your astrid, have you kept that exhaust parameter on high? Its set as medium on Interloper, while its high on Stalker/Voyager/Pilgrim. So even when you have to eat and drink more, and have less loot, you wont get tired that fast. And thats always something that i find kinda annoying on difficultys below Interloper. Those survivors seem to have the endurance of an 90 year old person, the difference is huge!

This run I turned fatigue down one but put hunger up one..   I've left thirst alone because I'm really lazy about boiling water😁.   If I kill a moose or bear I usually make a large batch of water at the same time.. at the start of a run I make 4-5 litres which sees me through from ash to twm summit. Up there ,there is always lots of water ,which keeps me going until I reach pv. Then once there I just use toilet water and found bottles,and the cache.. I'm pretty much set  for quite a while after that..  if I get stuck in a blizzard in a cave somewhere I'll just make a few teas or coffee's as standbys  I rarely use them.. 

I'm always overburdened so I tire easily anyway..even with the badges on.  I have many bad habits😁 

Didn't you have an avatar earlier?   Could've sworn you did?

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

This run I turned fatigue down one but put hunger up one..   I've left thirst alone because I'm really lazy about boiling water😁.   If I kill a moose or bear I usually make a large batch of water at the same time.. at the start of a run I make 4-5 litres which sees me through from ash to twm summit. Up there ,there is always lots of water ,which keeps me going until I reach pv. Then once there I just use toilet water and found bottles,and the cache.. I'm pretty much set  for quite a while after that..  if I get stuck in a blizzard in a cave somewhere I'll just make a few teas or coffee's as standbys  I rarely use them..

I dont mind making water, with pots its easy to make lots of water while crafting in 1,5-hour-intervals, repair all the cloths, learning etc but thats the good thing about customs, everyone can make the perfect game settings for him or herself:) I made a Gunloper with cabin fever deactivated, loot to medium (because i want to find cleaning kits and ammunition) but to equalize it a little, i lowered health recovery, maximized winds, made wolfs more aggressive, scent on maximum and put more wolfs on the map, everything else is left untouched. I would've prefered to make the weather harsher and not the wolfs, but unfortunately winds are the only thing you can turn up from interloper pre-settings. Thats a pity (hint hint admin, give us even colder weather for customs! :D) Its only at day 15 or 20 so far, might play it more once i reached at least 500 days again with my loper. 

20 minutes ago, Leeanda said:
21 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I'm always overburdened so I tire easily anyway..even with the badges on.  I have many bad habits😁 

Didn't you have an avatar earlier?   Could've sworn you did?

Haha, i know that problems being overburdened. Those animal clothes are heavy as fuck. And while i use the starving technique until i get the bow, i want to stay well fed for the rest of the playthrough. That means i always carry at least 20 Cattails with me. Some cans or other premade food if available. At least 1 of each medication tea, 2 Birch bark teas and 3 coffees and stims. Always some emergency coal and depending on map, snow shelter mats. And while many fellow lopers dont like the hatchet, i like it and carry it around (its 1,75 kg, even heavier than normal hatchet!) because it gets wolves alot quicker off, which in turn means less health and clothing condition loss. Im always around 38/45 kg in my interloper loadout, and 33ish in my voyager and stalker, thanks to parkas. Thats not much room to work with :D

I never had an avatar here so far, but that changes once i find something fitting :D

• Upvote 1

I don't touch cat tails except in ash at the start,you never know what the loots going to be like .. but they are light and give instant tinder..  they do take a lot to fill you up though.. I hardly ever use birch bark,mushrooms or rosehips..  once I find omb I drop the antiseptic but I don't really need that either,it's always best to be prepared though..   

I know the bear coat is very heavy ,I'll wear it in ash if it's there until can get something light then harvest it and use it towards the bear roll.  Longer runs I make the wolfcoat  but it's more for preference than necessity.    Always have the bunny hat and gloves though.   

Again ,I've never made a snow shelter either, the one time I needed one I didn't have enough sticks.. mainly because of the disappearing limb/stick bug.  

It'd drive me nuts having to wear all that heavy gear ,plus still having to stop every five minutes to warm up.. I just don't have the patience😊 

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

@Shadox

On 11/11/2019 at 10:13 AM, ManicManiac said:

Stubborn, that's clearly what I am... :D I've started again!  Same personal challenge as before (I know I've spoken about my personally applied parameters for FC before, but I don't think I really outlined all my goals for this push I've been on - so I suppose I will take a moment to review).

Main objective is to survive for 500 days ("Will to Live").
In order to make life more interesting, I'm adding the following objectives and provisos:

1. Achieve Faithful Cartographer, with additional conditions.  Start a the run on Timberwolf Mountain.  I may not leave a region until I have cleared 100% of the charcoal map.  Specifically, no smudges on any part of the main map area, and clearing as much around the edges of the map area as possible.  When going to another region I may only carry my most minimal kit (generally 13-18kg of what I consider to be just the essentials to nomad).  This forces me to start over relatively fresh and reestablish myself in each new region I enter.  (I suppose once I achieve this - this particular thread will end, since that's the subject I started it on)

2. Once I have achieved "Faithful Cartographer," I will then concentrate on, "It was THIS BIG."  I will begin this endeavor with fresh water ice fishing.  Even though salmon are the only fish in the game that are capable of naturally being over 5kg... I want to test to see if the bonus to catch weight that begins on Ice Fishing level 4 will boost the Small Mouth Bass up over it's natural 5kg max.  If possible, I want to gain this achievement by catching a freshwater bass instead of just grinding salmon in Coastal Highway.  If that bonus works as I think it does, then this should be feasible (unless the bonus still respects the weight limit).  In either case, I will not be permitted to go salt water ice fishing until I've reached fishing level 5 and I've spent at least 30 days fishing fresh water at level 5.  (I just realized I'm going to have so much lantern fuel!)

3. Assuming I've not managed to achieve it while completing the other objectives... next I will concentrate on, "Wrapped in Furs."  I will not be permitted to earn the achievement until I have pelt crafted items in all possible clothing slots.  I will only use the bearskin bedroll to earn the achievement if I am wearing: a rabbit skin hat, rabbit skin mittens, a wolf skin coat, bear skin coat (plus a moose cloak in my inventory - that's my "extra blanket"), moose satchel, two pair of deer skin pants, and deer skin boots.

4. Assuming I've not managed to achieve it while completing the other objectives... next I will concentrate on, "Skilled Survivor."  I don't have any ideas on making this more challenging... so I guess this one is just going to be pretty straight forward. 

So in the event I never really articulated what the entirety of my personal challenge is... here it is :D 

[Addendum]
It's been my standing rule for these attempts that I don't use any badges.

On 1/21/2022 at 2:46 PM, ManicManiac said:

Starting conditions:  Stalker, random start, no feats.

I don't really have any solid plans for the run, but I have a few ideas in mind.  I'm not gong to be as restrictive on myself as I have in other runs (I kind of want to use this run to help relax as I continue dealing with more real-life stuff).

• I plan to map each region (again) as completely as is practical.
  • I intend to abstain from eating any "found" foods for as long as I can.  The idea being to stockpile the man-made/processed food I find until I can get the mapping done.  Until then I want to just survive on what I can hunt, fish, or scrape off ravaged carcass. 
  • I intend to abstain from harvesting Cattail Stalks, Lichen, Reishi, Rosehips, Limbs, or Saplings.  I'd like to leave those natural resources untouched and have the locations of all those natural resources marked on my maps.  Then, after the maps are complete, it will all be fair game for the rest of the run.

As I said, not too restrictive...  I did want something a little bit more austere than a regular Stalker run (until the maps are done at least), but I still wanted to be able to have access to all the tools and gear if I wanted to.  I figured this would be a nice enough compromise.

For this one, I was testing to see if I could survive and thrive in interloper without using the forge.  Turns out, yes we can. :) 

On 6/10/2022 at 10:24 AM, ManicManiac said:

This personal challenge is one I've been thinking about for quite a while now:

• Stalker mode
  • No feats (as usual)
  • No sound/subtitles/closed-captioning permitted; must rely solely on visual input.
  • Will also wear be wearing earplugs/noise blocking earmuffs (for the sake of playing in as close to total silence as I can)
  • Random Region Start

No other additional personal restrictions applied at the onset (though I may add more as the run goes on).

Since so many people had commented about how loud waterfalls were, or asking for environmental subtitles, I decided to test if we could survive on Great Bear Island relying on nothing but the visual input and good situational awareness.  Turns out, we can. :) 

These are some examples.
I just try to find my own added "rules / provisos" to make each run have its own unique added struggle. 🤭

There's any number of little restrictions we can self-impose to give our run a little extra flavor.

• Upvote 2

My longest run (pre-DLC) was 1900+ days.  My new run is going on 300.  I'm to the point now when I'm scouring every inch of every zone looking for missed loot and gathering ALL harvestable resources (Cattails, rosehips, scrub-brush, etc.).  The "farthest reaches" zones, I'm also breaking down everything so I essentially never need to go back.  Also redoing buffer memories (yuck) when an aurora pops.  At some point, I will also have to redo all the cairns.  I am doing them as I see them, but cairns are not my focus at this point.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

My longest run (pre-DLC) was 1900+ days.  My new run is going on 300.  I'm to the point now when I'm scouring every inch of every zone looking for missed loot and gathering ALL harvestable resources (Cattails, rosehips, scrub-brush, etc.).  The "farthest reaches" zones, I'm also breaking down everything so I essentially never need to go back.  Also redoing buffer memories (yuck) when an aurora pops.  At some point, I will also have to redo all the cairns.  I am doing them as I see them, but cairns are not my focus at this point.

Same here! I accumulated around 300 Cattail stalks now sitting in Trappers, and im using a Stone Cache as a makeshift medical container to expand the rather little storage space a bit. Teas, Cattails and Lichen fortunately dont care about the cold. Im also using the Teas as decoration for the shelves and tables in trappers. Every single run im planning to make Jackrabbit my main base for more storage, fishing and beachcomb but every single time the cozyness of trappers wins :P I never actively searched for the cairns on my interloper runs, might do it this time since im gonna run at many hills anyways for mapping.

Im also planning to re-search all the Regions again. Except Blackrock, for now. When i went to it first, i had to sit 20ish Days in the Prison while waiting for an Aurora so i can use the lead to craft new Ammo for my Revolver i found in a Momento. There have been only 1 Car Battery in CH, none in Milton and BI, but 3 in BR and the transition Zone so i had to use it there. Thats enough Blackrock for the near future. But the first Area im giving a re-visit is HRV. I just love that Map, its pure nature without being a maze like AC. Just living there for a while feels completely different to the "civilized" zones.

16 minutes ago, Shadox said:

new Ammo for my Revolver

Yeah, not much use for car batteries in loper since there aren't supposed to be any firearms, eh?

16 minutes ago, Shadox said:

I accumulated around 300 Cattail stalks

I must be past 900 now.  I'm playing with pretty generous loot & harvestables though.

I'm with you on HRV too!  Love the place!  The "wormhole" ice-caves, plentiful wildlife, no structures, cache/ammo-box hunting...

Edited by hozz1235

3 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Yeah, not much use for car batteries in loper since there aren't supposed to be any firearms, eh?

Yep, after finding none in Milton with all of the cars, i was questioning if they can even spawn on Loper. Glad they did though, Revolver might be a pretty bad weapon compared to the Bow, but it helps alot to deal with T-Wolves, and we dont know if there are some of them in one of the next TFT Areas, probably yes, given how much more common blue flares are now. It made my BI/BR exploration alot less stressful, reason enough to repair it and craft more ammo, now its waiting in the Trappers locker for the next Areas :)

11 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I must be past 900 now.  I'm playing with pretty generous loot & harvestables though.

I'm with you on HRV too!  Love the place!  The "wormhole" ice-caves, plentiful wildlife, no structures, cache/ammo-box hunting...

Is it me or are Reishis a little less common now?

Yeah, HRV is great :) And probably the only place i use spray paint to mark the Ice Cave entrances. I like that HRV has zero structures but so many caves, wandering around there never gets boring for me. Oh, and the point with Wildlife is another reason why i dont like AC that much. Its also almost 100% nature except for those 2 or 3 Houses in the North, but wildlife up in the plateau is sparse and wolfs are everywhere at the bottom. Deers and Rabbits are so much more common and spread out in HRV. It might not have 10000 Houses to loot, but the loot from the Cave corpses never disappoint. And it has a granted Mackinaw or Satchel, depending on difficulty. Map design is amazing as well :) Always been one of my favourites, just like ML and TWM.

7 minutes ago, Shadox said:

And probably the only place i use spray paint to mark the Ice Cave entrances.

Same.  I then also spray-paint "forks" in the cave tunnels to show me which path leads to which entrance.  Makes navigation a cinch!

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1

Today I restarted my 2500 +/- day Voyageur run on Perilous Constraint using Time Capsule in Steam.  My character was at TWM's Mountaineer's Hut when I stopped playing on November 13th prior to the update. This run should qualify as ultra long. I have looted all regions except for Blackrock. All skills are at level 5 - 1000 day old meat is always on the menu'

Shadox reasonably asked "How do you entertain yourself on ultralong Survivors?"

I entertain myself by squirreling away resources with the goal of surviving for 10,000 or more days.  For the last 1000 days I focused on concentrating  resources including tools, cloth, leather, metal, medicinals, fuel, quality clothes, saplings, ammunition, whetstones, gun cleaning kits, legacy food, arrow shafts and arrowheads at three bases - CH Fishing Cabins, PV Farmhouse and TWM Mountaineers Hut.  All three bases are easy areas to kill bears and have immediately adjacent fishing huts or one nearby (Pensive Pond).  My character can live on just bear meat with occasional fishing to replenish lamp oil.  Concentrating resources at these bases means I don't need to return to HRV, MT, ML, DP, BRR , FM or BI.  28 arrows with 346 arrow shaft in reserve will allow for a lot of bear killing. Relying on animal clothing conserves cloth and leather.

Tracking down every available bit of cloth, leather, metal, rifle/revolver rounds and harvesting every last sapling can be entertaining.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
  • Upvote 1