A coguar...

2 minutes ago, Wonderland Wanderer 3 said:

Alice hopes, a coguar corpre have a much more loot than a bear. A skin, guts, and alot of edible meat, which don't brings a parasites inside your guts)))

Can't see hinterland letting us get away without parasites😁

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wonderland Wanderer 3 said:

Alice hopes, a coguar corpre have a much more loot than a bear. A skin, guts, and alot of edible meat, which don't brings a parasites inside your guts)))

Most likely on par with wolves as they're pretty close in size. Not like comparing deer with moose or anything. And as cougars are predators, it would make sense that intestinal parasites (which are probably trichinella) are a risk too, as cougars can become infested same as any other predator.

The pelt would probably have a unique purpose though. The low-hanging fruit would be to have the pelt used as a crafting material for the travois, although I REALLY hope they eventually decouple material with article when it comes to clothing crafting. Rabbitskin coat, wolfskin gloves, bearskin pants, etc. each with its own unique properties depending on the material it was constructed with.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wonderland Wanderer 3 said:

I think we can expect a skin and some guts, but not much meat. Perhaps half that of a bear? When you compare the two creatures in the wild, bears are usually a lot bulkier.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

I think we can expect a skin and some guts, but not much meat. Perhaps half that of a bear? When you compare the two creatures in the wild, bears are usually a lot bulkier.

Remember we harvest only a fraction of meat that we would in real life. You can reasonably expect to get around 4kg of meat off a wolf. 4!! Off an animal that weighs on average around 50! By the same token black bears are around 100kg, and you only get maybe 30 of meat in-game. And the ratio gets even worse with moose, which weigh around 500kg, and in the game yield around 40kg of meat.

So it doesn't make sense for a new animal that weighs about as much as a wolf, to be worth 4x as much meat. It might not necessarily break the balance of the game if cougars are particularly rare, but it would make very little sense in light of how the other animals stack up by weight vs. meat.

• Upvote 1

The wolves are weaker but they prey on you, the bears are strong but they won't mess with you unless you ask for it, or you are lucky enough not to meet their eyes behind a mound. I believe the cougars will be the combination of these: strong predators that prey on you. And I also believe we will be able to fight back. 

The harder it is to kill, the greater the reward should be. Maybe its pelt will provide a good warmth bonus while reducing mobility less. Also cougarskin underwears are really catchy nowadays for female players.

• Upvote 1