Thoughts on New Item Variants

I think the new variants, most prominently the rifles, need a wider range of possible spawn locations. For both gameplay balance and spice. Right now they are reliably confined to single regions and although some of these spawns are pretty creative, I feel it's not enough.

Yes, rifles are fairly easy to find (little less so in the new loot table it seems) but there was always the chance you got unlucky, however with these new rifle spawns you can reliably get a superior weapon by checking just a few places in a region. As far as I know, the Curator's rifle is a direct upgrade, and while Vaughn's and Barb's have some more downsides I still think they're far superior. +.5kg for a more precise sight and extra durability? -1kg and more responsive firing for a little less durability? And I can reliably find them with just a short trip? Sign me up!

I also feel by confining them to single regions they don't tell their respective stories as well. Barb was a well-weathered trucker? To me she's just the CH lady whose rifle I stole, etc. Have the entire Great Bear road system as far as FAF be potential spawns for Barb's, have every hydro dam and wood lot be one for Vaughn's, make the thief who stole the Curator's flee into ANY of the northern mountain regions, AC, TMW, BR! And I can go on. 

Finally, I really think the Woodwright's Bow should be repairable. Make it so when it breaks the string snaps, and force the player to wait until its fully broken before repairing it at a workbench for balance. 

These are just my opinions ATM, curious on all of your thoughts. Even still I really love the new item variants, especially V's rifle, even though it's a raggedy thing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Well sometimes you can't really understand the pros and cons of a variants.

For example Barb's rifle is more durable yet heavier, but the description says it's also reliable and that is already causing confusion whether they mean it by durability or there's another positive stat.

Or the Curator's rifle, the one with pros and cons completely a mystery.

But i do feel like the trader would be the one to give you informations on X variant for a price. Nonetheless, i like the item variants.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, A Lamp said:

Well sometimes you can't really understand the pros and cons of a variants.

For example Barb's rifle is more durable yet heavier, but the description says it's also reliable and that is already causing confusion whether they mean it by durability or there's another positive stat.

Or the Curator's rifle, the one with pros and cons completely a mystery.

But i do feel like the trader would be the one to give you informations on X variant for a price. Nonetheless, i like the item variants.

Curator's rifle is a direct upgrade and has roughly double the range of the base rifle.

Barb's rifle has (iirc) 25 more shots and the more precise sights

I got this info from the wiki and their testing. But admittedly that's a bit cheaty, and your point remains true. I like the idea of the trader being available for precise analysis, and do definitely love the variants overall. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Lumi said:

Curator's rifle is a direct upgrade and has roughly double the range of the base rifle.

Barb's rifle has (iirc) 25 more shots and the more precise sights

I got this info from the wiki and their testing. But admittedly that's a bit cheaty, and your point remains true. I like the idea of the trader being available for precise analysis, and do definitely love the variants overall. 

Ah the wiki, forgot about it.

Anyway thanks for the info!