Level editor as DLC

FreeSTONE

Another level of playing with the game mechanics could be, if we would be able to play with Level Editor.

Deciding hills, forests, wolf paths, ... but also buildings, interior of houses... sounds like a big fun!
(I heard that "creating new region" was most demanding. Maybe it could be crowd-sourced?)

Best of the regions could be, after reviewing from the authors, included in the survival game, later?

Sounds great to me.

• Upvote 5

It would probably be great fun, but horrendously complicated and difficult for Hinterland to do. More than just a DLC, it would probably have to be a seperate game that is compatible with TLD.

Edited by conanjaguar
Apsarete? Really? Dumb autocorrect.
  • Upvote 2

Just now, conanjaguar said:

It would probably be great fun, but horrendously complicated and difficult for Hinterland to do. More than just a DLC, it would probably have to be a seperate game that is compatible with TLD.

I love your edit reason comments😁

Guest jeffpeng

Technically you can do that with Unity, which is software that is (at least technically) freely available. Sure, Unity is a complicated beast, but if you factor in everything you can do, all of the variables you would have to account for to make an actual map, which also includes loot tables, lighting, zone and scene transitions, resource distribution, textures, sound effects etc. you quickly come to a point where a map editor would be almost as complicated.

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2022 at 12:31 AM, conanjaguar said:

Somehow, I (wrongly?) assumed that Hinterland team already have some editor, in which they create the levels. I thought like they would just distribute it together with the game.

Just imagine: special levels with special challenges. Something like "bring 50 litres of water before the storm comes", or walking on trees in big heights... or wolf arena 🙂 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeffpeng
On 8/12/2022 at 4:26 PM, FreeSTONE said:

Somehow, I (wrongly?) assumed that Hinterland team already have some editor, in which they create the levels.

They do. It's Unity. Unity has a terrain editor and Hinterland at least at some point was using it to edit maps. They probably still are.

Unity isn't "just" a game rendering engine, it's a fully integrated development environment for games, including all sorts of data, media, terrain and scripts that eventually make the game. And considering how different Unity games are you can maybe guess how comprehensive a development tool it must be.

On top of that it also allows for a quite impressive amount of platform abstraction, meaning that, at least in theory, a game made with Unity will run on all platforms that Unity runs on.

So in a sense Unity is as close as a "Game Editor" as you'll likely ever get as it brings most of the tools to create a game, and it runs the game on a (relatively) platform agnostic API running (mostly) platform independent (byte)code, meaning C# running on Mono which is an open source cross-platform alternative to Microsoft's .NET for which C# was initially designed.

Edited by jeffpeng

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just create a hacked copy of the game and open it unity. Assuming your experienced with unity that’s all you need. Too make your own regions. It might take a few hours to figure where all the assets are and figure out the dependencies ,but that’s the life of a modder.

Edited by RegentRelic