Advanced cooking

conanjaguar

21 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

Discs? Do things still come on discs?! I was shocked when I realised a new laptop wouldn't come with a built in disc drive. Talk about making me feel old. I still remember the days before even the floppy disk!

LoL.  I'm on Xbox.    I have just bought a new laptop though .  I do remember floppy discs.  And I believe I'm 7 years older than you, I just about remember decimalization 😁

11 hours ago, Leeanda said:

🙂.  I've shot at those crows quite a lot the last few years wishing one of the pesky things would drop at my feet.   Extra feathers are a bonus.   

As well as tree sap there could be a use for pine needles and cones too . I'm no Macgyver but I know they have some uses in real life.

Pine needles have quite a bit of Vitamin C in them, and in the winter that increases to 4 to 7 times as much compared to in the summer... and pine needles make a surprisingly good tea. Vitamin A, too, IIRC. Anyway, it's been used for centuries to prevent scurvy in the north.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Kranium said:

Pine needles have quite a bit of Vitamin C in them, and in the winter that increases to 4 to 7 times as much compared to in the summer... and pine needles make a surprisingly good tea. Vitamin A, too, IIRC. Anyway, it's been used for centuries to prevent scurvy in the north.

Thank you, I did vaguely remember about the tea, the only other thing I could think of was disinfectant 🙂. Not much use in the game really .

7 hours ago, Kranium said:

I’m always on board for more tea!

Perhaps there should be a “scurvy” affliction for pine needle tea to counteract? Imagine not being able to eat anything that’s not in liquid form after Day 4736 on Interloper...

• Upvote 2

Just now, conanjaguar said:

I’m always on board for more tea!

Perhaps there should be a “scurvy” affliction for pine needle tea to counteract? Imagine not being able to eat anything that’s not in liquid form after Day 4736 on Interloper...

That would be more likely than dysentery . I don't think anyone has ever had it.  

• 8 months later...

After trying to think of a few more uses for fresh guts, sausage sounds like a great idea. However, maybe we should need something like a (mounted) sausage press to make it. It would be good for areas that don't have fishing huts and maybe it could require an ingredient or two to actually make it. Of course, with the new fishing system coming in the new update, who knows. Maybe we will be allowed to fish in areas like Desolation Point or The Forsaken Airfield. Also, the addition of the new bird and the cougar are also going to be more sources of food. 

• Upvote 1

This is about the last topic I had expected to be resurrected (again). But, then again, since the next update is going to add at least the more advanced cooking system (reason I made this thread in the first place), I should have seen it coming :).

46 minutes ago, Stranzua said:

However, maybe we should need something like a (mounted) sausage press to make it.

It is possible to just chop the meat really finely, but this would make sense from a balance perspective.

47 minutes ago, Stranzua said:

Also, the addition of the new bird and the cougar are also going to be more sources of food. 

I’d imagine we’d be able to make a “roast chicken” analog with an entire Ptarmigan carcass, instead of pieces of meat like usual…

I can’t imagine eating cougar meat, even though it supposedly tastes like pork…

(I was actually surprised to find a bunch of websites on this topic… I thought it was illegal? Here’s one:https://www.petersenshunting.com/editorial/how-to-cook-bobcat-cougar-meat/365086#:~:text=It isn't that the,meaty%2C similar to pork loin.)

• Upvote 2

I am not a chef, but I thought that sausage needs some kind of preparation. After looking it up, it says that 'sausage is minced and seasoned meat encased in skin to be cooked or preserved'.

Plus, I created a thread where I suggested a new skill called Falconry. I suggested using prepared fresh guts to feed and build a relationship with the crows. Technically, I guess you would just be able to eat fresh guts without turning it into sausage, and why not. Fresh guts can pile up quickly and are one of the more abundant resources in the game. 

This also fits into the discussion about 'ruined meat'. If the ruined meat system is eventually changed and eating it now comes with some kind of penalty, like less calories for example, they're probably going to make a way to preserve food longer. Turning meat into cured meat/jerky and turning guts into sausage are two reasonable options.

In my opinion, these are all great ideas. 

• Upvote 1