Advanced cooking

conanjaguar

I think a good addition to the game would be a more detailed cooking system. We can already put meat in a pot, but other than that, it’s just a roast, over and over and over again, ad infinitum.
At the very least, we should be able to put 1L of water in the pot with the meat, and maybe some Reishi mushrooms, birch bark, rose hips, or cattails, and make a soup.

This would have more calories than a roast, not just because of the mushrooms and extra goodies, but also because that the broth retains the nutrients that would otherwise “drip off” while the meat is roasting (or baking) over/beside an open fire.

• Upvote 5

Someone along the way suggested sausages. Why not? It probably would make the game a bit easier, but add more variety, and if we don’t like sausages, then have a custom setting: sausages on/off.

You could grind up herbs into a sausage so that it would give some of the benefits, maybe 2 roserabbithip sausages to ease pain. Reishideer sausages would not go bad as fast due to the antibiotic properties of the Reishi. Birch wolfbark sausages would give a little condition back. SarBearDine sausages would not give you food poisoning!

Of course, perhaps there should be some condition to unlock sausages. 
Perhaps Cooking level 3, or a new feat (Butcher: Harvest 100 kg of meat, allows you to make sausages), as well as a handheld meat grinder (or, even more difficult, in a blender during an Aurora). Then you would need Cleaned Gut (boiled for 2 hours) and then stuff the mix in, and then cook it. A lot of work, but I  for one cannot live without a good sausage every now and then.

And, by the way, why does drinking a hot cup of coffee give the Warming Up buff, but tearing into a big, greasy chunk of meat straight off the fire and then washing it down with BOILING water does not?
On this note, drinking water that is still boiling would give you internal burns (cure....................................... eating snow? Ice-cold Birch Bark Tea? Eating Old Man’s Beard? Swimming during an aurora? None?), and to cool it down, we would have to leave it in the snow for an hour.

I do believe that even though you drink water straight after boiling it it is not actually boiling to drink.  I've often wondered why it isn't though but this game has its little oddities. 

Never say no to a good old sausage.  Packets of instant mash would go with that a treat!🙂

7 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Packets of instant mash would go with that a treat!🙂

I don’t see why not. For the most part, the freezers and refrigerators are empty. Ours never is, as we always have a jar or box (or 15) of something laying around, as well as ingredients for supper. And, we can already find airliner meals... so why not a good ol’ package of ravioli to go with that Tomato Soup (the only way I will eat those things).

• Upvote 1

Pasta,rice and instant packets along with salt and dried herbs/spices should last for years. Some things if kept airtight will last practically forever.  Honey or sugar both have lives of decades rather than years .  Who's going to carry bags of rice or sugar in an apocalypse?😊.  

Some obviously would ,they must also be the ones who took all the kettles and saucepans😁

I certainty wouldn't mind having some sort way to combine food if there was a reason to do so. Maybe have a 'Breath of the Wild' cooking system where combining foods can give your character some sort of buff if you make a good combination. Or a debuff if you decide to commit a cooking war crime and make a awful combination like adding peaches on venison.

Also maybe make it so if you do the same combination over and over would lead to the buff affect being less affective/ last less time to encourage experimenting.

Also add pancake making.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Who's going to carry bags of rice or sugar in an apocalypse?😊.  

Some obviously would ,they must also be the ones who took all the kettles and saucepans😁

Perhaps a bandit’s den where we can find a 50-pound bag of rice?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I will try to resurrect this topic.

On 6/6/2022 at 12:44 PM, conanjaguar said:

I think a good addition to the game would be a more detailed cooking system. We can already put meat in a pot, but other than that, it’s just a roast, over and over and over again, ad infinitum.
At the very least, we should be able to put 1L of water in the pot with the meat, and maybe some Reishi mushrooms, birch bark, rose hips, or cattails, and make a soup.

This would have more calories than a roast, not just because of the mushrooms and extra goodies, but also because that the broth retains the nutrients that would otherwise “drip off” while the meat is roasting (or baking) over/beside an open fire.

Actually, this would fit the game. Raw meat has more calories than cooked meat. Why? Because all the fat and nutrients have not dripped off.

If we could make a simple soup or stew (I’m not talking complex here. Just 0.5 KG of meat and 1L of water in those ratios), we would warm up and refuel our hunger and thirst meters at the same time. Without MREs, there is no other way to do this. 

To balance it out, the soup would have to remain in the cooking vessel, or a thermos bottle if it is ever added.

Apologies if I am rather incoherent, it’s late and I’m tired :).

• Upvote 3

I would love the idea of making soup even if it was a very basic form of soup, although the sausage idea is pretty good too. I was thinking about harvesting tree sap to make syrup (Tools a pot, a tree tap a stick to stir. Place syrup once collected from tree onto a cooking spot, and give a suitable time limit before it can be consumed.) , or being able to shoot and eat crow. But the soup Idea is probably way better than my ideas.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jay19 said:

I would love the idea of making soup even if it was a very basic form of soup, although the sausage idea is pretty good too. I was thinking about harvesting tree sap to make syrup (Tools a pot, a tree tap a stick to stir. Place syrup once collected from tree onto a cooking spot, and give a suitable time limit before it can be consumed.) , or being able to shoot and eat crow. But the soup Idea is probably way better than my ideas.

Your ideas are good🙂.  I've shot at those crows quite a lot the last few years wishing one of the pesky things would drop at my feet.   Extra feathers are a bonus.   

As well as tree sap there could be a use for pine needles and cones too . I'm no Macgyver but I know they have some uses in real life.

14 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Your ideas are good🙂.  I've shot at those crows quite a lot the last few years wishing one of the pesky things would drop at my feet.   Extra feathers are a bonus.   

As well as tree sap there could be a use for pine needles and cones too . I'm no Macgyver but I know they have some uses in real life.

I had such a crush on MacGyver!

I do like the idea of Advanced Cooking. It's one of the suggestions which really does make sense. You get to level 5 cooking then get a whole raft of new things to make. Or even be able to make them from the start. Either way it totally fits and would add much more depthand things to do/aim for. A lone survivor like ours for sure would be working out other things to cook. 

5 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

I had such a crush on MacGyver!

I do like the idea of Advanced Cooking. It's one of the suggestions which really does make sense. You get to level 5 cooking then get a whole raft of new things to make. Or even be able to make them from the start. Either way it totally fits and would add much more depthand things to do/aim for. A lone survivor like ours for sure would be working out other things to cook. 

You and me both.  He's a bit of a dish and no mistake..  🙂.  

I agree.  Maybe if the first dlcs prove popular enough (which I'm sure they will) then the team would add ideas like this into new ones.  

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I agree.  Maybe if the first dlcs prove popular enough (which I'm sure they will) then the team would add ideas like this into new ones.  

That's a good point. Maybe that's their aim/hope.... that the revenue from DLC content would give them the resources needed to take the game development to the next level. 

I just commented in another thread about Hinterland in this respect. I'm *amazed* they've given us this beautiful game, and continue to tangibly improve it, all for incredibly low price. They've always displayed excellent ethics as well and obviously love the game as we do. That is so incredibly rare. I mean, all you have to do is look at Hinterland against the likes of Bethesda and EA and you can clearly see the gulf between them. TLD is way undersold for what they have given and continue to give us. I would be very happy to put more money in the Great Bear piggy bank!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

That's a good point. Maybe that's their aim/hope.... that the revenue from DLC content would give them the resources needed to take the game development to the next level. 

I just commented in another thread about Hinterland in this respect. I'm *amazed* they've given us this beautiful game, and continue to tangibly improve it, all for incredibly low price. They've always displayed excellent ethics as well and obviously love the game as we do. That is so incredibly rare. I mean, all you have to do is look at Hinterland against the likes of Bethesda and EA and you can clearly see the gulf between them. TLD is way undersold for what they have given and continue to give us. I would be very happy to put more money in the Great Bear piggy bank!

I hope so .  I too would gladly pay  for the dlcs. I've bought two discs of the game and I still think that put together the price was low considering all the stuff we've had.   

11 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I hope so .  I too would gladly pay  for the dlcs. I've bought two discs of the game and I still think that put together the price was low considering all the stuff we've had.   

Discs? Do things still come on discs?! I was shocked when I realised a new laptop wouldn't come with a built in disc drive. Talk about making me feel old. I still remember the days before even the floppy disk!