A small lesson to be learned.

Smellyfries

Greetings.

Recently, I was continuing my faithful cartographer run on Pilgrim, and within the birch forest in Pleasant Valley: I found the bear that roams there. Knowing that it was Pilgrim, and knowing that bears are usually scaredy cats in Pilgrim, I took a quick popshot at the bear (with a rifle). It was poorly aimed, and hit the bear in the back left leg. Too my surprise and fear, the bear immediately turned around and charged, I didn't have time to run, as I was too shocked and bewildered that the bear was charging me on Pilgrim, resulting in a quick mauling. Thankfully, bear mauls on Pilgrim aren't bad, yes they hurt, and still ruin your clothes, but thankfully, I only lost a hat, and a single bandage and Old Man's Beard solved my bleeding issue as it normally would.

Honestly, after over 600 hours of playing TLD, this is the first time I've gotten mauled on Pilgrim, and I'm left wondering why the bear decided to charge. I've shot bears on Pilgrim before, with all of them turning tail and running, so I'm left wondering why.

My main idea is that the bear I shot didn't know I was there yet, and upon shooting it, the bear skipped the "Oh it's a human, RUN!" phase because it didn't see me and skipped to "I just got shot, MURDER TIME!" phase like it would on all other difficulties. 

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience. If you guys want to share your suggestions on why the bear charged, or any interesting wildlife encounters in Pilgrim, I'll gladly read them!

1 hour ago, Smellyfries said:

Greetings.

Recently, I was continuing my faithful cartographer run on Pilgrim, and within the birch forest in Pleasant Valley: I found the bear that roams there. Knowing that it was Pilgrim, and knowing that bears are usually scaredy cats in Pilgrim, I took a quick popshot at the bear (with a rifle). It was poorly aimed, and hit the bear in the back left leg. Too my surprise and fear, the bear immediately turned around and charged, I didn't have time to run, as I was too shocked and bewildered that the bear was charging me on Pilgrim, resulting in a quick mauling. Thankfully, bear mauls on Pilgrim aren't bad, yes they hurt, and still ruin your clothes, but thankfully, I only lost a hat, and a single bandage and Old Man's Beard solved my bleeding issue as it normally would.

Honestly, after over 600 hours of playing TLD, this is the first time I've gotten mauled on Pilgrim, and I'm left wondering why the bear decided to charge. I've shot bears on Pilgrim before, with all of them turning tail and running, so I'm left wondering why.

My main idea is that the bear I shot didn't know I was there yet, and upon shooting it, the bear skipped the "Oh it's a human, RUN!" phase because it didn't see me and skipped to "I just got shot, MURDER TIME!" phase like it would on all other difficulties. 

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience. If you guys want to share your suggestions on why the bear charged, or any interesting wildlife encounters in Pilgrim, I'll gladly read them!

There always a chance that any of the animals can attack if provoked!   It's very random but does seem to be occuring more often lately! I've had close encounters with the bear and the moose  before.  But the wolf attacks I've had have been on custom pilgrim  and only if I got close when they were eating!

Edited by Leeanda

I had a very similar "mauling" happen at Mystery Lake.

Sneaked up close behind the bear in the Clear Cut -- loosed an arrow and got him in the left flank -- but ... instead of running, he turned and attacked! 😬

I too, just stood there in surprised bewilderment as my ear wrap got eaten and I took some (thankfully) repairable physical damage...

Very random ... but Yes, Lesson learned!

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

It's NOT random.

In Pilgrim, the bear will charge if attacked. Wolves will not do that.

-t

The bear or moose can sometimes attack ,not always though! I've had a lot more run away than I have turn on me!  Others on pilgrim have also had attacks by wolves without being provoked!  So it is entirely random.

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

The bear or moose can sometimes attack ,not always though! I've had a lot more run away than I have turn on me!  Others on pilgrim have also had attacks by wolves without being provoked!  So it is entirely random.

Ok, perhaps it's random now, or a bug. According to various wiki articles, wolves didn't used to do that.

Moose and bear would never initiate an attack. I never play Pilgrim or Voyager, so I have no personal experiences.

-t

3 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

Ok, perhaps it's random now, or a bug. According to various wiki articles, wolves didn't used to do that.

Moose and bear would never initiate an attack. I never play Pilgrim or Voyager, so I have no personal experiences.

-t

Well I've only been playing 3-4 years so I wouldn't know how it's different to  before then. 

But yes they don't attack without being attacked first but still it's random. It has got more frequent lately so maybe some of it has been tweaked by htl.