My Whiteout challenge

Leeanda

I spent half of the morning chopping wood and cooking most of the moose meat. As the weather wasn't too bad I made my way back via the rickety old bridge and goated down to the shed. I didn't find anything except one corpse and he had nothing on him. 

I got back just in time as a blizzard hit so spent the rest of that day reading and smashing up a few crates to pass the time.  I had nothing left to do in broken railroad so decided to head out first thing in the morning.   It was a pleasant walk back to forlorn and had to decide whether to go to bleak or go to mountain town! At the last second I chose the latter and made my way up there through marsh ridge! 

When I arrived in the basin the weather turned bad so I made my way to the hut  for a quick rest! I ended up stuck there all night .  Strangely I heard the moose again ,it's the third time I've heard it and it hasn't been there!  I searched the basin the next morning but found nothing! There were rubbings though but still no moose!  Just before I climbed up I realised that I might've wasted my time and ruined the challenge!  If the key wasn't at the farm then it would be a big problem.  Luckily it was on the corpse in the barn so I headed in and had a good search. I found some ammo and plenty of food! I also found two cooking pots so the water can be done very quickly!  

The next morning I took all the loot up to my base which will be Grey mother's house. I've just sorted out all the gear  and having a quick rest before I loot the town. There seems to be quite a few intact houses  so it may take a while!🙂

• Upvote 3

I spent most of this afternoon looting all the houses in the town and up to the garage It was very time consuming  having to lug it all back to the base . So as I'd found about 6 pots I decided to boil up some of the water before night fell!  When I woke the next morning it was heavy fog so decided to stay close to base and loot the bank and post office as Id left them yesterday. I found quite a lot of loot in the bank , especially cans of soda again!🙂  By the time I'd finished that the weather had cleared so I decided to find some food as I was running low again.

There was a deer up near the school so I took a shot but I didn't kill it! 

It ran straight through the small house there and the lean to shed like a ghost. This is the second time an animal has done that. At the lodge in broken railroad a wolf got stuck going round in circles through a tree . I did kill it as it seemed rather sad to leave it doing that!   

I've just finished putting things away as I need to go down to the cave at the bottom of the climbing area to check for loot down there so I need  to be underburdened for a change!🙂  

• Upvote 3

I checked the cave and office but didn't find too much. I checked for signs of the moose behind the garage too but no rubbings!  I spent the rest of the  day reading and cooking the deer I killed yesterday!  

Next morning I headed off to find some rabbits as my hat is not in good condition after that mauling! There were none in the town or at the farm but finally found some behind the church!  I am severely out of practice with stoning rabbits as I spent quite a while trying to hit one!  I finally got one and after harvesting it I left it at the church to cure while I search the north west . 

I was hoping the moose would be at the pond but no rubbings and no moose!  I searched all the way up the road and bridge area but surprisingly the cars were mostly empty!  I headed through the cave up to the crash site  and back down via the tower but still didn't find much loot. Except a spare rifle and some ammo! Always handy to have a spare weapon in each area, I did also finally find a cleaning kit ,the only one in mountain town, just as well as my gun was getting low in condition. Not too sure why though as I've been careful about using it! 

I unloaded the loot back at grey mother's and read for a few hours until bed!  The only place left to search was the cave opposite the church but I doubted there would be anything in it! But next morning I headed up there anyway!  It was a pleasant walk , peaceful ,with big soft snowflakes falling  thickly and quietly , something I haven't had much of on this run.   As I expected the cave was empty,so made my way down to the church  and that's where I left her! Sitting in front of a fire with a book enjoying the feeling of peace and solitude. 🙂

• Upvote 3

I'm afraid I didn't play for long this afternoon so I don't have much to write. 

I spent my time searching for twigs,which seem to be very rare in Milton and chopping up wood. The only thing left was boiling the remainder of the water which didn't take long.  I've managed to level up in two more skills and not far off level 5 in most of them.  

Mountain town is now complete but I'm waiting for the rabbit skins and guts to cure so I can repair my hat and gloves. Once they are done then I will head off to the last place left on the map! Bleak inlet!  I might go the slightly longer way round and start from upper bleak  as I will enjoy  the walk and it'll give me time to admire the views that this game excels at so well!🙂!

• Upvote 3

I left Mountain town next morning to a light fog but it soon lifted . As soon as I arrived in Mystery lake though the fog started to come down but it wasn't too bad!   I made a quick stop at the camp office to pick up a couple of rabbit pelts I'd left there and fixed my hat and gloves! 

It was a pleasant walk to the ravine climb and very quiet except for a few crows   still no moose near the dam either.  

When I got to upper bleak the fog was quite thick but not a problem as there's not much chance of getting lost up there! There was little loot there but I was slightly overweight so thought I'd rest for a bit and read for an hour. When I stopped there was a blizzard roaring outside so I was forced to spend the night there.  I did find the bear roll so I swapped with mine and had to leave a few small bits behind to compensate for the weight difference. 

I spent the rest of the morning looting the cabin and making my way to the cannery! There was a lot of loot on the bridge  so when I arrived at the cannery I chose to leave looting the place until later!  I was running low on food so had to kill a t-wolf . I'm not sure how it didn't see me as I wasn't that far away but I'm glad it didn't. 

I finished unloading my loot and an aurora had just started so I made my way to the workshop. I was hoping my furry friend would be in there but sadly not. I've just looted the place and am now getting ready to loot the rest of the cannery. But first I have to cook that wolf meat as I'm down to my last small piece of rabbit! 

That wolf steak sounds pretty good !🙂

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

After cooking up the meat and getting started on the water I I made my way round the cannery!  It took quite a bit longer than I'd hoped it would! As I needed the reclaimed wood as well I started breaking up the crates and found food in all of them!  So I spent a good while smashing them all up and taking the wood and food back inside the base! I've never smashed them all up before so didn't realise how many tins there were! They took up a whole locker by themselves!  As it took a couple of days to complete the search I was again running low on food so thought I should head out in search of bigger prey!  I made my way to the cabins and fishing hut  hoping the bear would be around,but I had to sit on the roof until nearly nightfall before he turned up. My first shot not only apparently  missed but the noise didn't scare him either! So I took another shot ,this one hit but the bear still just carried on walking! After the third shot he ran away  and I decided to let him bleed out instead of chasing him!  I just had enough food left to last until the morning so spent an hour fishing just in case I needed it!  The next day I looted the lighthouse and went in search of the bear! He wasn't too far away from the other fishing hut and at the time it was good weather so I  quartered it . I took the skin and one bag of meat back to the cabin as I need to repair my bed roll as soon as possible!  I'm now having a quick rest before I fetch the rest of the meat  and start cooking some much needed food.🙂

• Upvote 2

This morning I finished harvesting the meat and making use of the stove at the lighthouse.  After filling up on steak I headed back to base to check what I still needed! I was still short of water,sticks and wood. But before I looked for them I wanted to finish exploring the rest of the south west of the map. I found a spare axe and bow which were in very good condition but not much loot otherwise!  After stashing the loot I read for a few hours and slept til early morning! Those t-wolves have a habit of doing short continuous yelps during the aurora which  can get very annoying  sometimes! 

After waking to blue skies again I decided to head back to the north east side and double check I hadn't missed anything! But I had to head up to the secret path first as Id left it last time. All I found though was a chocolate bar and the heavy hammer,useful later but not for the challenge!  After scouring the entire east side of the map and finding nothing I headed back to base!  I'm not sure if I'm just unlucky on this run or its yet another bug, but where are all the sticks?? In seven days and scouring three quarters of the map I've only found 12 sticks! If it wasn't for the scrub I wouldn't be able to finish the challenge!!  

And as Bleak is my last map it would be very disheartening to fail so near the end! 

All I have left to search now is the north of the map and the area just past the washed out trailers. I'm not expecting to find much but maybe I'll get lucky and find the elusive moose! 

I'm now at the cannery enjoying a bear steak after cooking the last of the water! I may have a chance to read some more if there's another aurora tonight!  I hope there is one as I haven't had time to stop and just watch the lights dancing across the night sky for a while!🙂

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately there was no aurora so I slept until early light! I made my way to the washed out trailers via the hill just to check for sticks. Suddenly they seem to be everywhere!  I thought that problem only happened in TWM! I took all the sticks back to the base and again made my way to the north west!  There was a fog rolling in  but luckily visibility wasn't too bad! However I decided to stick closer to the cliff edge just in case. I found no loot until I got to the cave at the northeast side,and I saw or heard no animals either!  All I found in the cave was a snack bar and a can of soda!  I rested for a couple of hours hoping the fog would lift ,which luckily it did! As I'd stuck to the cliffs on the way there I decided to walk back on the ice side to make sure I'd covered the area!   

Unfortunately for me I took an unexpected dunk in the ice so had to make a fire outside the hide! I took all the wet clothes off and stayed there for  several hours.  I don't usually go across the ice areas so I wasn't familiar with it.  As soon as everything was dry I headed off back to base to double check all the items! I thought that I'd finished the challenge but I had somehow forgotten about the lantern fuel! I still needed 2 and a half litres!! 

So I made my way to the fishing hut and spent 6 hrs fishing!  Not a bad amount of fish but small! . After a night of reading and breaking up wood I got started on the cooking!  But I didn't realise how little fuel you get! I spent the next 10 hours fishing and caught plenty of coho salmon! I don't pay attention to the weight as when I tried to leave I couldn't move!🙂  

I spent the rest of that day lugging fish and wood up to the lighthouse!I don't think I've ever been that overburdened before ,so it took a long time to get there! I'm not sure if I have enough fish  but only time will tell! 

Tomorrow will be my last day of the challenge though so I'm going to enjoy spending it relaxing and enjoying those quiet hours of fishing!

It would  be nice to end the challenge with an aurora ,a cup of herbal tea and a freshly caught salmon!🙂

• Upvote 2

I spent my last full day of the challenge fishing , looking for wood and cooking! It was a pleasant way to finish it!  But it wasn't quite over until I took the last of the loot to the base!  I got back there at dusk to the start of a blizzard, my first since I arrived in lower bleak I think!  I woke early to the last of an aurora ,I stood at the door and watched the lights dancing across the sky for quite a while ! A truly beautiful way to spend my last night here!  

After 115+ days of not touching any loot I could now celebrate with anything I wanted but all I felt like was a cup of herbal tea!🙂

A light fog  covered the ground as I packed up what I needed and headed to the cave exit!  I enjoyed that walk ,the sound of footsteps  muffled by the fog with just a glimpse of sun on the horizon! Until I saw the silhouette of the moose  near the exit!  Oddly when it saw me it didn't stand it's ground but just turned silently and ran into the fog! 

It seems even the moose wanted peace and I was more than happy to oblige! 

The challenge may be over but for me I have unfinished business ! The prepper cache in mystery lake has yet to be found!  And if or when it is then I will be truly satisfied that the challenge is complete! 

I will make a note of it if it turns up! 

🙂

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Great accomplishment, you made light work of it. Even with the near-miss with the moose. Are you surprised how well you did? Do you think it was easier or more challenging than you imagined? And what's next on the horizon? This was really cool, and your descriptive phrasing has been a joy to read everyday ☺👍💪

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Great accomplishment, you made light work of it. Even with the near-miss with the moose. Are you surprised how well you did? Do you think it was easier or more challenging than you imagined? And what's next on the horizon? This was really cool, and your descriptive phrasing has been a joy to read everyday ☺👍💪

To be honest it was easier than I expected. But mainly because I thought there'd be constant blizzards ,I seemed to get hardly any in most places.  Most maps were done in less than 12 days surprisingly.

The missing cache was and still is a thorn in my side! Stubborn as a mule so I'll keep trying for a few days even though I don't need to. 

Thank you I'm glad you enjoyed it! 

I think I might try the naked pilgrim challenge ! See how long I can survive with nothing except boots on, I need them for the crampons!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

To be honest it was easier than I expected. But mainly because I thought there'd be constant blizzards ,I seemed to get hardly any in most places.  Most maps were done in less than 12 days surprisingly.

The missing cache was and still is a thorn in my side! Stubborn as a mule so I'll keep trying for a few days even though I don't need to. 

Thank you I'm glad you enjoyed it! 

I think I might try the naked pilgrim challenge ! See how long I can survive with nothing except boots on, I need them for the crampons!

The naked pilgrim challenge 🤔 Sounds interesting, must be a sight to see wearing only boots 😻 Kinky 😂

Yeah you did great, maybe got lucky with the blizzards, they can sure put a crimp in your plans. Good luck with the missing cache, hope something turns up 👍👍

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

The naked pilgrim challenge 🤔 Sounds interesting, must be a sight to see wearing only boots 😻 Kinky 😂

Yeah you did great, maybe got lucky with the blizzards, they can sure put a crimp in your plans. Good luck with the missing cache, hope something turns up 👍👍

Thanks ,so do I. 

Depends if it's will or Astrid🙂  mind you that underwear they wear isn't the most appealing!  Can't see it being a very long experiment though but this game is full of surprises.🤔🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Thanks ,so do I. 

Depends if it's will or Astrid🙂  mind you that underwear they wear isn't the most appealing!  Can't see it being a very long experiment though but this game is full of surprises.🤔🙂

Boots and balaclava only 🤣🤣 I'd run in the opposite direction seeing that coming towards me 👍😄

Yeah, practical rather than aesthetic. More like anesthetic those big briefs 😄 Full of surprises for sure 💪👍

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Boots and balaclava only 🤣🤣 I'd run in the opposite direction seeing that coming towards me 👍😄

Yeah, practical rather than aesthetic. More like anesthetic those big briefs 😄 Full of surprises for sure 💪👍

🤣🤣Who needs a gun 

Could use them as sails for a raft🙂

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Could be an alternative ending to the game? 

You sailed away into the mist, heading for the mainland.. with underwear as a mast 😜

Lol🙂. Why not, there's plenty of wind in the game to catch even the smallest sail!🙂

Edited by Leeanda
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

If it gets me away from those bears that's ok by me🙂

Why not take them with you? You can start the world first Great Bear Bear Zoo! Or something like that, if they don't maul you first 🤔Feel bad for the poor guys, they've had their sleep rudely disrupted, no wonder they're angry

Edited by Catlover

14 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Why not take them with you? You can start the world first Great Bear Bear Zoo! Or something like that, if they don't maul you first 🤔Feel bad for the poor guys, they've had their sleep rudely disrupted, no wonder they're angry

🙂 There's not enough room on the raft.  Maybe a bunny or two instead? Hopefully they won't attack me unless I look like a carrot🙂

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Heard those bunnies are nasty, I wouldn't trust them 🤔 Though they're definitely better than a bear! 

Lol! I've seen that timberhare  thread ,it's terrifying!(and hilarious) so I wouldn't trust them much either. 🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Lol! I've seen that timberhare  thread ,it's terrifying!(and hilarious) so I wouldn't trust them much either. 🙂

Haha I have too, made me fear them. Something that fluffy and cute must have an ulterior motive!

• Like 1