My Whiteout challenge

Leeanda

23 hours ago, Leeanda said:

So I thought I'd start this challenge as my attempt at the proper version was very short! One day in and I got mauled by the bear🙂 must be a record!  I have to equip each map with the required gear within 20 days. I won't be counting BlackRock or HRV in this challenge though! 

As usual it's a modified pilgrim run! The items I need are the same as the original! I'm not allowed to eat/drink any looted items and must survive on what I kill or harvest!  The blizzards are on very high, wolves high ,no fear weather very variable ! No Revolver.

All the other settings remain untouched!  In hindsight the blizzards maybe should've been set to high as I forgot the animals despawn!🙂 

I've just started in Desolation point and have chosen the Riken as the base on this map! Despite 3 blizzards in under two days it's not going too badly so far! It's taking a while to boil up a lot of water as I only have 1 can and haven't found another empty one yet!  I headed to the cave after starting at the lighthouse as I know there's a rifle there and I'd need it just to get food! 

I looted the Riken and church and all the outdoor areas first and got quite a lot of food!  Pity I couldn't eat any as there wasn't much meat on the carcasses in the cave!  But I got lucky in-between blizzards as I managed to shoot a wolf  which will keep me going for a few days!  I've just reached the main building as I need the hacksaw for the wood! I've found no axe or knife so it's crucial to the challenge!  But it's too late to search so I'm getting ready to sleep ,still hungry which is new on my runs!🙂

19 hours ago, Catlover said:

Glad to see you're back on the forums @Matt Lomax!

@LeeandaGood luck with your challenge. Do you mean the temp bar isn't going down at all? I don't know what it is with you and bugs, I think you must be purposely hunting for them 😁

Wonder what it's like in PV, but with blizzards as high. You wouldn't even leave your house! 

Ok did @Matt Lomax leave the forums? And wolf fear does nothing on passive wildlife so if you think thAt makes it easier your wrong on that front no offense meant

Day 13 and everything is complete!  I spent several days chopping up wood and smashing crates for the water and cooking the moose meat!  Luckily I haven't had any more blizzards or it would've taken longer!  I did waste a bit of meat though as I wanted to get on with the forging!  I've now made the axe,which was the last thing I needed, and crafted 28 arrowheads before I ran out of coal! 

Unfortunately because I didn't harvest all of the meat from the moose I am now running low on food! I only have 7 rifle cartridges left too so I tried to shoot the bunnies with my only arrow!  I missed every shot until the arrow finally broke😁 seems I've forgotten how to do it in less than two days!!  

Luckily the wolf killed a few so I just had to scare him away! I was hoping for more as I wanted to get the moose hide cured and the sack made before I leave!  

It's very tempting to break into all that food I've stashed away, but if I did then it wouldn't be the challenge I set myself!  

At the moment  I'm in the Riken getting ready to settle down for the night! I hope the hide is cured by tomorrow morning!  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

Ok did @Matt Lomax leave the forums? And wolf fear does nothing on passive wildlife so if you think thAt makes it easier your wrong on that front no offense meant

It's not supposed to make any difference no, but on the   other mauling thread it seemed to make a huge difference! Or I wouldn't have been able to get anywhere near them let alone mauled on a regular basis!   

Ahh !! Happy times😁

Edited by Leeanda

9 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

Anytime you shoot a bunny 🐇 with an arrow it breaks anyway well for me I've had one at 100% and it broke killed the bunny first shot but broke

This was definitely me being bad!😁 

If you're curious about the no fear you could test it out for yourself?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

None taken! 🙂

Yeah Matt just took a bit of a break from the forum. 

And as @Leeandasaid, fear actually makes a huge difference on pilgrim, not sure why. I recommend checking out their wolf mauling thread, if you haven't already, as she was able to get mauled quite a lot! 

Edited by Catlover
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

None taken! 🙂

Yeah Matt just took a bit of a break from the forum. 

And as @Leeandasaid, fear actually makes a huge difference on pilgrim, not sure why. I recommend checking out their wolf mauling thread, if you haven't already, as she was able to get mauled quite a lot! 

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

This was definitely me being bad!😁 

If you're curious about the no fear you could test it out for yourself?

This morning I made my moose sack and decided to head to Coastal highway. Didn't find much in crumbling highway except a lantern and some fuel and a pair of cargo pants! That should help a bit when I chop those pallets up outside the Quonset! 

I was overburdened when I got there as I'd been picking as much wood as I could carry and there was quite a bit of coal in the cave too.  I made my  way to the garage and looted everything in there! I cooked up the deer meat from the carcasses I'd found on the way and boiled about 14 litres of water  as it's the tedious part of the task!  It's lucky there was a can under the bed! Surprisingly I only found 1 rifle cartridge in the garage so my supply is still limited!  

I have the tinder all done and most of the sticks ,and found an axe at the waterfront cottage and in the garage so luckily I get to keep one!  

I've just finished crafting some arrows but run out of feathers!  There was only one carcass outside in desolation, and the only corpse there was in the cave so feathers were far and few between! 

I'm hoping to get some fishing done for the food and the lantern oil as I need quite a bit! 

The weather seems to be on my side at the moment! I've only had one short blizzard and I spent most of that time reading a fire book! Just as well really as I've had a lot of failed attempts!  

I'm now settling down for the night before I start my looting raid in the morning! Hopefully I'll find a cooking pot or two !🙂

• Upvote 2

This afternoon I managed to loot the few houses round the garage. Found  2 cartridges so I'm still pretty low on ammo.  Unfortunately those absent blizzards decided to make an appearance just as I intended to go fishing. I had enough rabbit skins to make the hat got busy doing that until the blizzard passed!  I didn't expect to get much as I only had one tackle but I got 6 fish before it broke!  As I'd just run out of wood I had to make my way back to the garage in thick fog!  I got slightly disoriented and ended up quite a way away from the garage! Glad I didn't end up in the sea though!🙂 

The next morning I decided to head to the tower as there's usually ammo or a rifle up there but yet again there was a blizzard! So I holed up in the house just up the hill and read until it'd passed!  I was overloaded with food so I took it down to the garage  and made some fishing tackle as I'm going to need plenty of them for Ash and TWM! 

I finally got decent weather so I made my way to the tower  only to find 1 cartridge and a few cans!  There was a corpse at the bugs beneath the tower so I voted down and found 5 feathers,now I can make a couple more arrows and hopefully get the bear! 

Three days in and I've only seen the one bear and two wolves. I was expecting to see at least a deer on the ice or rabbits outside the cabin I'm now in but nothing so far!   This could make my challenge short in places like forlorn where I can't fish. 

I'm now enjoying a rest and doing a spot of reading before I head down to the garage  and then maybe checking out the islands and fishing huts!  Maybe I'll get lucky  with  the ammo!🙂

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Sounds like it's going well! I'll keep my fingers crossed for more ammo! Hope you're still warm, though that rabbit hat will definitely help - and look stylish as a bonus! 

Thanks!  I don't fancy trying to get the bear with only 6 arrows !  I got lucky in a couple of the houses,I found two pairs of snow pants and two wool socks! 

Maybe I should join the London fashion show?🙂 Not sure if snow pants and macinaw jackets are the trend right now though!?😁

If @Matt Lomaxdoes more shaving, you could make a feathered cloak to finish the look! I imagine you'd win the Great Bear fashion competition with your eyes closed! Especially considering your only competition are bears and moose there 😜 Same with the london one, just with less wildlife 😁

I'm sure you'll find more ammo soon, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you 🤞🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Catlover said:

If @Matt Lomaxdoes more shaving, you could make a feathered cloak to finish the look! I imagine you'd win the Great Bear fashion competition with your eyes closed! Especially considering your only competition are bears and moose there 😜 Same with the london one, just with less wildlife 😁

Lol! Think he was running around with a shaver earlier😁    poor crows are going to need little woolly jackets🙂 

And thanks🙂

I spent most of the morning looting the fishing huts and the islands. I really need that backpack as I've been going back and forth to the garage quite a lot! I did find another 7 rifle cartridges though and a spare rifle at Misanthrope. It's the first time I've found one there.  And thanks to all the toilets I don't need to boil loads of water any more! 🙂  

I've found a military coat and a couple of thick sweaters too so cold is now less of a problem.  Hoping the weather holds as I've still got some ground to cover!

As im trying to save the ammo and arrows are in short supply I spent some time fishing and caught quite a few. Hopefully I won't have to spend a lot of time doing that as lugging all the loot back to the Quonset takes up half of my time! 

I've just looted the trailer near the mine and found my first corpse ! Hope it's not the only one as I need the feathers. 

At least there are plenty of animals ,several deer ,quite a few wolves and at least two bears so far!  

I'm catching up on my reading before having an early night as I'm hoping that there will be an aurora so I can loot the mine!   But I have noticed on my runs that if you wait around in that area then  the aurora won't turn up.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

Sounds like its going well I might play a bit of the long dark simply because we're (my family)............going to Florida were leaving in a couple of hours once my sister wakes up and gets packed and I'll play a bit in the car drive since I play on switch I can bring it yay have fun while I'm gone sorry not gone just not checking the forums as often seeya!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

Sounds like its going well I might play a bit of the long dark simply because we're (my family)............going to Florida were leaving in a couple of hours once my sister wakes up and gets packed and I'll play a bit in the car drive since I play on switch I can bring it yay have fun while I'm gone sorry not gone just not checking the forums as often seeya!

Thanks I will! 

Hope you enjoy your trip🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

Enjoy your trip! Always wanted to go to florida

• Like 1

This afternoon was a bit of a struggle. I didn't really seem to make much progress. Bad fog slowed me down searching the fishing huts I'd missed earlier and I had to spend quite some time chopping up wood so I could get enough to eat.  I was going to kill the bear but all the animals seem to have disappeared except a few rabbits. 

I did manage to find a few more cartridges though and some feathers . I still only have five arrows and 15 cartridges so I'm reluctant to use them for now. 

I did find some insulated boots too so I should hopefully be able to stay outside if a blizzard hits?  They're not as frequent as I thought they'd be ,I'm guessing it's because they're on very high and like the other run with the wolves  its having the opposite effect? 

At the moment I'm in the hut near the bear cave/bridge area planning to work my way up through this west side of the map.  There shouldn't be too much loot as there's only a few cabins left and the trailer near the exit. 

For now there are blue skies and maybe a promise of an aurora.🙂

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2022 at 5:54 PM, Catlover said:

Only just seen this, my apologies 😫 All my baldy crows now wear feather boas 🐦 🐍 As do my skeleton army 😻 A fashion show would be a wonderful thing, what a great idea. Could have a best dressed corpse segment too. Let me find my make-up box 💄

@Leeanda are you finding many corpses on your travels this time? Good you're finding some feathers at least. Don't forget to make yourself a boa, dyeing it pink is mandatory 😜

Enjoy chugging back that toilet water, sounds delicious 😋 I do love that region though, usually plenty of goodies to plunder. Lots of birch saplings, too 💪

• Upvote 1