My Whiteout challenge

Leeanda

I spent a good part of the morning looting the town area including the other side of the bridge. I found some ammo in the hall and a couple outside so it looks promising!  There wasn't as much food as there normally is though ,which is probably a good thing!  

after taking it back to the barn I headed back in that direction and up towards the picnic area and pond checking for the cache on the way. No luck unfortunately ,I hope it's not the food cache at skeeters ridge as that's going to take a while to take it to the barn. 

I checked the hunters blind ,cave and the tower and found quite a few more cartridges so that was lucky!  When I came out I could hear the bear huffing away but couldn't see it. I started walking down the hill and it was there but I don't know why I could hear it that far away? It's not the first time it's sounded really close when it's not on this save!? 

After taking all the loot back to the barn I settled down for the night but not before breaking all the crates up. I'm going to need all the wood I can get so it's a good job I have a hacksaw and the hammer! 

Early the next morning I headed to the small barn to check it and see if there were any bunnies but sadly not!  There seems to be quite a few wolves and deer here but not much else! No rubbings anywhere either which is unusual for PV! 

I should note that so far I've found about 5 corpses and one carcass and only had 2 feathers from the lot!  

I'm now at the farmstead having looted what little there was . I've just rested for the night and woken up to a blizzard! I didn't think the unusual blue skies would last!🙂

• Upvote 2

Sounds like slim pickings food-wise. Have you been tempted to munch any peaches or chips? Or are you steadfast and disciplined? Really could use a bit of moose meat. Shame they're conspicuous by their absence. Perhaps they've started cosplaying as wolves 🤔

50 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Sounds like slim pickings food-wise. Have you been tempted to munch any peaches or chips? Or are you steadfast and disciplined? Really could use a bit of moose meat. Shame they're conspicuous by their absence. Perhaps they've started cosplaying as wolves 🤔

Tempted yes but I'm behaving myself! Plus Im keeping this save after I've finished the challenge ,not wasting all that time and energy just to delete it! Then I can pig my way through it all!😁 

There are a lot more wolves hanging around now you mention it 🙂🤔

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Tempted yes but I'm behaving myself! Plus Im keeping this save after I've finished the challenge ,not wasting all that time and energy just to delete it! Then I can pig my way through it all!😁 

There are a lot more wolves hanging around now you mention it 🙂🤔

That's some impressive self-restraint, kudos to you for that 😎👍👊 Great that you're keeping it, too, and not hurling the poor sucker to her doom 😜😄

Are they excessively big wolves with deep, booming voices? 🤔🙊

Edited by Matt Lomax
Forgot a question mark. Despicable.

Luckily the blizzard was a short one so I set off toward the long curve so I could follow the river and look for the cache!  I did notice the bear in the distance so he might come in handy later!  After scouring both sides of the river upto Three strikes I figured the cache was at skeeters ridge! I went up and down those steep hills just in case it was the cache I can never find!🙂  I spent a couple of hours at three strikes cooking up a wolf I killed right outside!  Luckily for me there was a brief spell of sunshine, as usually there's a blizzard every time I go there!  I decided to head back to the barn to drop off what I'd looted this far.  From there I made my way up to the crash site and found quite a lot of food! Still no corpses though! Hope it's in the fix!  

Heavy again and with the weather turning I checked for the cache , like I thought it would be it was there!  I hunkered down for the night .the next morning  I made yet another trip back to the barn to unload what Id got from the plane and quite a lot of my own things as well! 

I've just finished looting the bunker and the cache but good old PV weather has me trapped in there! So I'm reading a book and enjoying a wolf steak to pass the time!  I only have the east side of the map left here now so I might take a little time to relax!  So far each map has been done in 16 days and I've moved on without having a break! 

Time to make some arrows I think!🙂

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

That's some impressive self-restraint, kudos to you for that 😎👍👊 Great that you're keeping it, too, and not hurling the poor sucker to her doom 😜😄

Are they excessively big wolves with deep, booming voices? 🤔🙊

Now you mention it ,yes they are!🙂 Seem to have very big noses too😁 

I have no idea what you're implying? She may have accidentally slipped a few dozen times in the past but never pushed🤣

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Now you mention it ,yes they are!🙂 Seem to have very big noses too😁 

I have no idea what you're implying? She may have accidentally slipped a few dozen times in the past but never pushed🤣

🤣 My what hairy pits you have, grandma? All the better to, um, shave them with? 🤔

Haha! Likely story 😜😂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

🤣 My what hairy pits you have, grandma? All the better to, um, shave them with? 🤔

Haha! Likely story 😜😂

That's why the moose is hiding!!😁 Saw you and Wolfie waving that shaver about!🤣🤣 

'onest govnor! It weren't me!😁  

• Upvote 1

This morning I headed back up to skeeters ridge -again!!  As it seemed the best way to start the search of the East side of the map!  Despite there not being many places on that side I found quite a bit of loot! The weather has been pretty bad and made things a bit slow going and by the time I got to the picnic site it was near blizzard conditions. I found a few arrows  inside the cave which I took but left the bow! In hindsight I should've picked it up as now my bow is about to break! There were two corpses in the cave which I don't think I've had before. 

After looting the cave I wanted to finish the rest of the East side but I walked out into a blizzard. I was starting to get worried as my food was very low. I spent the night in the cave and came out the next morning to blue skies. So I had to  get the bunnies that were milling around before the wolf did!  I actually managed to kill them all without missing a shot which for me is a miracle!🙂  

After spending a few hours cooking them up I carried on making my way down the road looting what little there was left. 

By the time I got to the bridge the weather was not too good but I decided to head back to the barn instead of staying in the hall. Luckily it didn't get worse. 

I'm now back in the barn taking stock of everything.  Im only short on a few things now and thanks to the cache I only need to boil 4 litres of water!  I'm very low on fuel though so I'm going to be spending a few days fishing!  I'm lucky there is a fishing hut or I would've failed the challenge. 

It also means that I'm going to have to take a lot of it to forlorn and broken railroad adding a lot of extra weight  to my already overburdened load! 

As it's only day 7 though I have plenty of time to get the fuel I need! 

Looking forward to a bit of relaxing  after all that walking!🙂

• Upvote 2

I made my way up to the fishing hut this afternoon, hoping to pick up lots of sticks on the way but there's hardly been any in PV. I had to chop up wood instead which made a relatively short journey take several hours! 

I had planned to get started on fishing as soon as I got there but the moose was there. Could have sworn there were no rubbings last time I was there but I wasn't going to let the opportunity pass!  I climbed onto the large rock near the jetty And fired! I hit him and he started coming for me. The second shot didn't stop him either but just as he got to the bottom of the rock my third shot took him down!  It was lucky as broken ribs would've made this challenge very hard!  

I took some of his meat and left it outside the hut while I got a few hours fishing in before it was too dark.  I spent the night sleeping in the hut but woke up to a blizzard so I spent several hours cooking the meat and fish from the day before!  Just as well as I hadn't been watching my rations  and was nearly out of food.  I went and took quite a large amount of meat from the moose and left it outside the hut! If I can't carry it with me to mystery lake then I can eat it after the challenge is done. 

I spent the rest of the day fishing and caught quite a few .I decided to take them to the farm and make use of the stove, after cooking them up I headed to bed for the night but not before noticing that I'd left some loot here! There was a jerry can with over 3litres in it!🙂 so now I don't need to fish here anymore. 

Next morning I took the loot from the farm to the barn and sorted my pack out! I made a few arrows ,ate some wolf meat I'd left here and read while another blizzard roared away outside. 

My bow is about to break so after the blizzard stopped I made my way back up to the picnic site in the north east of the map to get the bow I'd left in the cave!  

I would've liked to make one but I haven't seen any maple saplings here at all!  

I'm now in the cave with the better bow ready to head back to the barn before dusk. An aurora would be nice to end the day but this is PV so I won't get my hopes up too high!🙂

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I didn't get the aurora . Even though they are on high the weather variability is also on high so I think that that  overrides  it. 

I spent some time making arrows  this morning,I seem to have quite a few but I'll leave some here as I haven't really had much need of them in this run. And I don't need the extra weight!   I did go out and check for the photo near the farm  and realised I'd missed the barn near there ,so I made my way there too. I found some ammo and another rifle but it was in bad shape so I left it there. . 

Even though I was 13 days in I decided to leave PV and head for Mystery lake.  I picked up some food from the hut on the way so I wouldn't have to kill something the minute I got there. 

I looted the lower half of the dam   but left the rest as I was overburdened  as usual!🙂   Following the tracks I found several carcasses and corpses so harvested the deer and left the meat where it was.  I did notice one rubbing near the yellow carriage area but saw no moose. Maybe he'll turn up later.  I did check for the cache near there too but it wasn't there. I get the feeling it's going to be the food cache in the north west area! 

I got to the camp office  and unloaded the loot and after checking everything dumped my unnecessary  items in the cabinets. 

I've just had a quick look to see if the weapons cache was there but sadly not.  Two down and six to go!  Now I'm in the office ,having a quick bite to eat before I head out to the lake to check the fishing huts and look for the two caches.  Must make use of the blue skies while they're still  there!🙂

• Upvote 2

This afternoon I did go in search of the caches near the lake but no joy. I did however hear an odd noise climbing up the steep slope on the way to a cache area. I looked around and saw nothing . Very odd. It wasn't until  I got down onto the ice and saw the bones at the bear cave that I realised it must've made that sound! A different sound and no footprints as well as not seeing it again anywhere makes me think there's another bear bug? Im just hoping that the fix will include this bug. 

I spent most of the day searching the huts and cabins enjoying the blue skies, and enjoying the peace and quiet after all those blizzard's.  

I killed a couple of deer thinking they'd cost me ammo but each one only took one bullet! Unusual for me as I tend to only wound them and never find them again.  I was surprised at how many cartridges I had ,I must've picked up more than I realised. Now I don't have to be so careful with them maybe I could take down a moose ,if one turns up! 

After a good night's rest I made my way to Trappers cabin following the tracks and stopping to check boxes and corpses along the way.  I seem to be finding lots of feathers here and managed to harvest the carcasses before they disappeared. 

I had a thorough search of the cabin but found very little. As I want to make sure there's plenty to eat I killed another deer and spent the rest of the day cooking it and bolling some water.  I did  find some water tablets so that will help speed up the process of getting the 25litres I needed.  Can't remember the last time I used them!🙂 

I made my way back to camp office next morning and dropped what loot I'd found. I'm now at the lookout having a quick bite to eat and a quick read of one of the books  before heading out to find that prepper cache! 🙂

• Upvote 2

You're surviving with ease, despite haunted bear bones and freaky happenings afoot 😬 Wonder if you'll discover a moose 🤔 I still think they've got wind of your prowess and are circumventing you in all manner of disguises 😅 Hope you stumble across one soon enough 👍

Impressive skills, prepped for the apocalypse 💪😎

• Upvote 1

Not sure what that noise was! Certainly didn't sound like a bear ! Unless it was my console playing up . It refused to read the disc again several times this afternoon!   

Could've been one of those bats out for an afternoon stroll😁 

Well those moose are sneaky ,and those wolf disguises are pretty good😁  

But thanks, I hope so too! It'll hopefully keep me fed in forlorn too as I never seem to find many animals there.

• Upvote 2

Oh dear, hope your laser isn't conking out 😬 Might need a lens cleaner, could be a bit of dust in it. Or it could just be one of those things. Is the disc okay? No scratches or anything? 🤔

Haha! Never understand why they don't fly. Must be stretching their crispy legs 😜

Ooh, Forlorn should be a good challenge. Plenty of wolves usually. A moose once every blue moon. You could try slicing the moon, I hear it tastes like cheese 👍

I've got two discs one is a new one and they both have the same problem. Doesnt appear to happen with any other game though just TLD! 

The console was a recon'd one but it's not that old.  I'll probably give it a clean see if it helps! 

It's certainly going to be easy for sticks there. But no lantern fuel possibly so I'll have to get that from mystery. Same for broken too! 

I only usually get one bear and maybe 2-3 wolves in forlorn . Only had the moose twice ,unless there's one at marsh ridge. 

Piece of cheese would be nice with those crackers😁

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Nicely Done! I always enjoy going to Mystery Lake after time spent elsewhere -- the tracks make traveling easy, even in fog or snow and Trapper's Homestead is one of my favorite places to stay.

I have never seen any sign of the moose up by Carter Dam ... and I haven't seen the Lake Bear in at least 3 runs.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, twyn1 said:

Nicely Done! I always enjoy going to Mystery Lake after time spent elsewhere -- the tracks make traveling easy, even in fog or snow and Trapper's Homestead is one of my favorite places to stay.

I have never seen any sign of the moose up by Carter Dam ... and I haven't seen the Lake Bear in at least 3 runs.

Thanks. It is a great place , haven't really spent much time there on my last few runs . Once you get to know it though I think it's pretty easy to find your way even in the fog.  Plenty of recognisable features really help! 

That bear seems to be the least common, I've had it once before,  a few years ago I think! The moose is always awkward 🙂 

How's your run going? 

4 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Hope it helps, weird that it's just that game. Bizarre. Sorry for sticking my oar in, by the way 🙄😄

Hm, never seen one at Marsh Ridge, the odd deer. Knowing you, I'm sure you'll find plenty to massacre 💪😄

You're not!!🙂 I appreciate your help 👍  think my game is jinxed anyway! Disappearing bear and moose,weird noises ? Maybe there really is a ghost in the machine👻😁 

Lol! I'll do my best , especially those bears! Teach them to steal my picnic basket🙂

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

... How's your run going? 

Taking a little break, waiting to see what's going on with news about the next Update.

-- still trying to decide if I want to go for the Level 5 in Revolver so I can get the All Skills maxed achievement on my saved game. Had just crossed over from Level 4 -- which I think means I'd have to slog around and kill almost 100 rabbits or get multiple consecutive hits on wolves and larger wildlife without getting turned on ... I was thinking I could go to a couple areas where the animals are glitched (esp. around the Prison yards) but that just seems "cheaty" ...

19 minutes ago, twyn1 said:

Taking a little break, waiting to see what's going on with news about the next Update.

-- still trying to decide if I want to go for the Level 5 in Revolver so I can get the All Skills maxed achievement on my saved game. Had just crossed over from Level 4 -- which I think means I'd have to slog around and kill almost 100 rabbits or get multiple consecutive hits on wolves and larger wildlife without getting turned on ... I was thinking I could go to a couple areas where the animals are glitched (esp. around the Prison yards) but that just seems "cheaty" ...

Considering the way some of  my runs have been lately I don't blame you. 

Well the bear might be at the prison if you're lucky. Or you could try killing the moose if you're willing to risk it. I have seen someone doing it on the forum , it took 13 bullets!   Have you read all the books?

Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer for the update though.

30 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Considering the way some of  my runs have been lately I don't blame you. 

Well the bear might be at the prison if you're lucky. Or you could try killing the moose if you're willing to risk it. I have seen someone doing it on the forum , it took 13 bullets!   Have you read all the books?

Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer for the update though.

Ha -- trying to face down a Moose with a revolver could very well be a sign of Long Dark insanity 😉

I'm fairly sure I've read all the available books for 'Small Arms'. This run is over 500 days and I've explored everywhere extensively, except for HRV. Was thinking of heading there to check for a book, but not sure it's worth all the time wandering about, at this point. 

Yep, hoping for an update soon ...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, twyn1 said:

Ha -- trying to face down a Moose with a revolver could very well be a sign of Long Dark insanity 😉

I'm fairly sure I've read all the available books for 'Small Arms'. This run is over 500 days and I've explored everywhere extensively, except for HRV. Was thinking of heading there to check for a book, but not sure it's worth all the time wandering about, at this point. 

Yep, hoping for an update soon ...

I don’t know if you have been on the paradise meadows thread but the admin has mentioned that they are close to releasing an update. Not sure if it’s simply a small one to fix the bugs, but I thought I’d let you know 🙂 

Curious to see if you could take a moose down with a revolver! And don’t worry about insanity, I feel like anyone willing to take the suffering and hardships that TLD gives you makes the vast majority of players a little crazy 😉

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

When I started the game this morning I found myself in a blizzard ,which is odd because when I switched it off there was blue sky! 

I stayed in the lookout reading until it passed ! Some of these books are a godsend when you're stuck indoors for hours!🙂 

I spent the most of this morning looking for the cache on the west side of the map but no luck! I weaved up and down those steep hills and got quite a few sprains!😁  There was no bear at the blind area so it seems I have only the  one in  mystery lake.  The only cache left was the one at the dam area but when I got there it wasn't there either!  I've just gone back and had another thorough search and found nothing so I'm going to have to check all the other sites again.  I'm not sure how I could've missed it as I know the locations  well. Hoping it's not a new bug!!🤔 

In the meantime though I'm at the secluded cabin sleeping off several sprains as I ran out of bandages!🙂 

I've also realised that I have to go down the ravine and into upper bleak just to get the code but I'll do that after I've finished collecting all the loot! I still have the dam left to search too but at least there's plenty of wood to be found there!🙂 

First things first though, the elusive cache must be found!