Stop the 'survival not camping' please!

Catlover

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

See - That's why I've said for ages that Custom is the way to go.  If the standard difficulties are "enough" for people, that's great for them and even lopers wanting an even greater challenge can tweak their games by going to runs like N.O.G.O.A.  The fallacy here used to be that people kept stating that Loper is the highest difficulty in TLD.  The truth is that any difficulty can be made more challenging or more interesting in a wide variety of ways through the Custom menu.  Any difficulty that seems too daunting for individual players can also be tweaked in ways that enables them to at least try it out.  All those codes can be shared with friends for personalized competitions (like the recent All Your Bases tournament). 

I would love to see HL expand the Custom menu further to give us even more variety.  (Rhetorical and facetiious slogan - no offense intended:  If you're not Customizing, you're just Loping.)

Agreed, I'm a fan of custom mode yet I never play it because I'm trying to get the feats. I really hope they add feat progression to custom but that's a debate for another time. 

I'd like to see them add and tweak things further, and hopefully in a later update that will happen. 

Love your slogan by the way! 

• Upvote 1

On 4/7/2022 at 2:05 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

I disagree that TLD philosophy has to be all about "survival" and "not camping." 

Oh TLD is fine as it is regarding this balance, I think this cliché answer is mostly provided when people ask for ability to build structures.

I wouldn't like the devs to spend time on this (there are already other game that allow building ... Subnautica, Standed Deep ...) and rather go on with what makes TLD specific (did I argue ? ooops 😄)

• Upvote 2

I think that establishing a base ruins the feel of the game but that's what mods are for  but it would make the game boring if you could have an electric heated coat on interloper that would be OK but again my opinion play your own way though I think that you should be able to clean  up houses at least

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JMK said:

Oh TLD is fine as it is regarding this balance, I think this cliché answer is mostly provided when people ask for ability to build structures.

I wouldn't like the devs to spend time on this (there are already other game that allow building ... Subnautica, Standed Deep ...) and rather go on with what makes TLD specific (did I argue ? ooops 😄)

I've played a couple of those other survival games, each more or less entertaining but not offering the depth of emotional involvement that a player gets with TLD.  Those games do offer that building feature which I think lots of folks have come to expect to be the norm for most survival games, imho.   I can appreciate the dev teams effort to really set the stage for their version of the apocalypse but by the same token I can sympathize with those who would wish to build structures in their postapocalyptic frozen wasteland.    

At the very least, I'd like to be able to patch the holes in the roof of the Mountaineer's Hut without having to mod my game...  

I Love TLD, but I still wanna build things!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

It appears that I've woken up to a bit of a debate here!

I agree with @JMK, building a base is common in survival games, which is another thing that makes tld stand out, and building a base wouldn't be of interest to me personally. 

11 hours ago, JMK said:

did I argue ? ooops 😄

Haha I've realised that the whole no arguing thing was slightly impractical 😅

That being said, yes, how dare you argue!

(kidding, of course) 

Edited by Catlover
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 4:44 PM, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I did my thing, and played 600 days of un-modded interloper.  I finally decided to install a few mods, and although they make the game somewhat easier, I have to say they greatly improve the play experience because they overcome some really wonky deficiencies in the game, like weird interior lighting conditions.

For my purposes, the mods really make things better even if you do sacrifice a little difficulty to have them.

Even more. You can use more mods to make it more difficult again. Mods are awesome. My favourite ones are Extreme Temp Drop and Hunger Revamped.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Strelok said:

Even more. You can use more mods to make it more difficult again. Mods are awesome. My favourite ones are Extreme Temp Drop and Hunger Revamped.

Agreed, I love hunger revamped, not tried the temp drop one, though but I'll have a look for it.

I'm glad mod support is finally a thing, I've found it greatly enhanced my game, even ones that are purely cosmetic, like ambient lighting. 

4 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Agreed, I love hunger revamped, not tried the temp drop one, though but I'll have a look for it.

I'm glad mod support is finally a thing, I've found it greatly enhanced my game, even ones that are purely cosmetic, like ambient lighting. 

Really just now i found a new one i will try. Its called BandageOverhaul. Could be intresting. There it says:

Featurers:

This mod adds a new DirtyBandage item in the game. It can be used in the same way as a regular bandage for sprains but if you apply it to an open wound (ie. when bleeding), it increases the chance of getting an infection.

This new item can be sterilized in boiling water to create a Sterilized Bandage which is safe to use on open wounds.

Crafting regular bandage is disabled: only dirty bandages can be crafted or harvested from clothes. You may still start with sterilized bandages or find some while scavenging.

You can also find dirty bandages in first aid kits, backpacks or on corpses.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Strelok said:

Really just now i found a new one i will try. Its called BandageOverhaul. Could be intresting. There it says:

Featurers:

This mod adds a new DirtyBandage item in the game. It can be used in the same way as a regular bandage for sprains but if you apply it to an open wound (ie. when bleeding), it increases the chance of getting an infection.

This new item can be sterilized in boiling water to create a Sterilized Bandage which is safe to use on open wounds.

Crafting regular bandage is disabled: only dirty bandages can be crafted or harvested from clothes. You may still start with sterilized bandages or find some while scavenging.

You can also find dirty bandages in first aid kits, backpacks or on corpses.

That does sound interesting! Let me know what it's lot and I'll definitely check it out. I'm all for a bit more realism with the first aid side of things. 

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

That does sound interesting! Let me know what it's lot and I'll definitely check it out. I'm all for a bit more realism with the first aid side of things. 

I tried bandage overhaul and I think it adds another good immersive feature to the game.   I think you'd like it.

The fact that you have "sterilze" your cloth bandages makes sense especially considering those
bandages your using to stop the bleeding and start the healing were once curtains hanging in somebody's
kitchen or came from on old towel you find hanging on a towel bar in some old bathroom of a house you
just looted!   

ugh, I can just imagine the dormant bacteria in those old towels just waiting to multiple!   let the infection games begin!

• Upvote 2

A sidetrack from where the topic is heading at the moment. I came to think that the more seasoned players may do the most camping. Grilling moose and bear steak at the main camp in endgame where you have 442 liters of boiled water by the entrance to a building that you've filled with medical supplies, hides and sticks. Seems a lot like camping to me, not that that's negative. Sticks and steaks by the campfire, all that's missing is the tent and the annoying nephew.

Of course not all interloping endgamers stay in the same shack after day 136. But they're more likely to than someone who still struggles to explore Great Bear and dies every 40 days or so.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, manolitode said:

A sidetrack from where the topic is heading at the moment. I came to think that the more seasoned players may do the most camping. Grilling moose and bear steak at the main camp in endgame where you have 442 liters of boiled water by the entrance to a building that you've filled with medical supplies, hides and sticks. Seems a lot like camping to me, not that that's negative. Sticks and steaks by the campfire, all that's missing is the tent and the annoying nephew.

Of course not all interloping endgamers stay in the same shack after day 136. But they're more likely to than someone who still struggles to explore Great Bear and dies every 40 days or so.

Agreed, unfortunately I'm still in the latter category of dying after 40 days but I do like doing a little camping every now and again. 

And you're completely right, the lopers who say it's survival not camping seem to be a little hypocritical. I love when I get to a point where I am just camping out, minus a tent and annoying nephew of course, though I typically die way before then 😅 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, James Hickok said:

Nah i managed it just by a thread :D Still living currently day 590 ^^ in Blackrock region atm.

My bad, thought you were saying that you'd died 😅 Glad to know your survivor is still alive and well! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Catlover said:

And you're completely right, the lopers who say it's survival not camping seem to be a little hypocritical. I love when I get to a point where I am just camping out, minus a tent and annoying nephew of course, though I typically die way before then 😅

It's neat that you enjoy it, starting over is all painful but no pain no gain aye? Are you familiar with the sequence:
"Wow I have such good gear right now, I wonder what's beyond that hill" -> Death -> "I'll never play TLD again" -> 2 minutes pass -> New game -> "This'll be my best playthrough ever".

I tend to get too bored to stay in the same spot for long, unless I'm crafting a new coat. To be fair on interlopers, players on the lower difficulties don't have to camp. No need for deer steak when there are granola bars under every bed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, manolitode said:

It's neat that you enjoy it, starting over is all painful but no pain no gain aye? Are you familiar with the sequence:
"Wow I have such good gear right now, I wonder what's beyond that hill" -> Death -> "I'll never play TLD again" -> 2 minutes pass -> New game -> "This'll be my best playthrough ever".

I tend to get too bored to stay in the same spot for long, unless I'm crafting a new coat. To be fair on interlopers, players on the lower difficulties don't have to camp. No need for deer steak when there are granola bars under every bed.

Haha I'm wayy too familiar with that. Tell myself I'll never play again, two seconds later I'm loading up another game! It's good fun though, most of the time I die from too much wolf wrestling, that's stalker for you :D

I'm the same though right now I'm trying to stay in the same map for 50 days. So far though I'm enjoying it. We'll see how long I'll last 😅 

Agreed, we don't have to, necessarily, but who says camping out isn't fun!

• Like 2