Make the corpses and the crows disappear

Alpenwolf

Key here is "after they have been searched."  Right now, corpses are despawning/disappearing before they've been searched and things like the Paradise Meadows Farm key are going missing... which makes, for example, that building completely inaccessible for the duration of the run.

Therefore, I can support them despawning ONLY after they've been searched and ONLY if they are left empty after they have been searched... because, on my older file, I've lost most of my tin cans because I habitually stored them on corpses.

Edited by UpUpAway95

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Key here is "after they have been searched."  Right now, corpses are despawning/disappearing before they've been searched and things like the Paradise Meadows Farm key are going missing... which makes, for example, that building completely inaccessible for the duration of the run.

Therefore, I can support them despawning ONLY after they've been searched and ONLY if they are left empty after they have been searched... because, on my older file, I've lost most of my tin cans because I habitually stored them on corpses.

About that key... This is a bug. Hinterland say, they're fixing it, so it will probably be okay soon.

26 minutes ago, Ghurcb said:

About that key... This is a bug. Hinterland say, they're fixing it, so it will probably be okay soon.

Yes... the whole bug is that corpses are despawning with items on them.  It's not just happening at Paradise Meadows Farm.  If you enter a zone and then enter a building, ALL the outdoor corpses will despawn and you will lose whatever items they have on them.  For the most part, you just don't really miss those items because they are usually a bit of food or a bit of clothing.  The key is immediately noticed because it's a crucial item that happens to be on a corpse.

The crow squawking is a bit much if you have a corpse outside your crib and you want to stand on the porch and watch the sunset, but other than that I find them useful for landmarks in the fog or for a quick check to see if I should bother with my planned search for that deer that ran off with my arrow in its butt the other day. No crows means no point to search for the deer. 

For the corpse in my bedroom, that creeps me out, I would definitely like to make that disappear!

Excuse my English, I use a translator.

Crows are very useful to find a corpse or a dead animal, I'm not saying otherwise. 
But not to mention the bug, which would be really great: I orient myself thanks to the crows, I find the corpse, I search it and once it's done, in principle, I don't need it anymore and only then does the corpse disappear. No more corpse, no more crows, they go away. This can also save us from searching a corpse that we have already searched.

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Upvote 1

Once they've been looted they don't really have a purpose except for feathers. But with the bugs at the moment there don't seem to be many lying around kinda makes them useless til the bugs fixed. 

Mind you I quite like them for company , it's not the same without them especially at ml office.

Edited by Leeanda

On 2/3/2022 at 10:27 AM, Ghurcb said:

This is a confirmed bug, along with the strange carcass decay behaviour we've been seeing. 

Thank you for the info in this thread -- we'll be sure to post an update when once is available. 

I love you Hinterland. You always respond to bug reports.

As for corpses to disappear once you search them.... How would "Max's Last Stand" fare if Max disappeared after you searched him? Would the location disappear too? And so the Faithful Cartographer achievement if you did not map it first before searching poor Max?

• Upvote 1

When you cut up a bear or a wolf, the remains disappear and so do the crows, not the places, right? So I think it should be possible to make the corpses disappear once you've searched them without changing the gameplay. But I'm not a developer. 

1 hour ago, Hawk said:

I used to be in favor of human corpses disappearing after a time, or after searching them. Then I realized that it might significantly reduce the amount of feathers in the game world.

This is a valid point, but it could be compensated for by having more feathers drop more quickly around a fresh kill by the player.  They could also program it such that crows flying overhead before a store could just randomly drop a feather or two so that you could find them just lying in the snow on occasion without them being associated with a corpse. 

I've been making quick runs to try to ascertain a real pattern for the corpse bug right now.  There is a feather shortage because the human corpses are, for the most part (but not absolutely consistently), despawning instantly when the player goes indoors for the first time in a region.  There are also several that are simply failing to spawn on some starts (particularly if the player spawns indoors, as they can on the easier settings).  The prop deer are also despawning very quickly whether they have been searched or not... and fresh kills usually don't attract crows unless left for a day and then one might only find a feather or two around it.