Milton, Coal-mining town?

hozz1235

Perhaps the town was built a distance from the mine itself and the mine workers were transported to the various mine sites o the map.  The main mine was probably Cinder Hills and the road ran from Milton through Perseverance Mills and through Pleasant Valley.  Looking at the map of the island (Choose Your Region), the most obvious "gap" for a new region is the dead area between Hushed River Valley and Blackrock and we know the road in Blackrock did connect to Milton at one time.  I really wouldn't blame the islanders for not wanting to live right on top of the mine area if they had the option of living a little distance away where the air and water weren't being polluted by the mine itself.  It's not like the distances are huge... Will/Astrid walks the length and breadth of the region several times a run after all.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

On 1/31/2022 at 4:28 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

Perhaps the town was built a distance from the mine itself and the mine workers were transported to the various mine sites o the map.  The main mine was probably Cinder Hills and the road ran from Milton through Perseverance Mills and through Pleasant Valley.  Looking at the map of the island (Choose Your Region), the most obvious "gap" for a new region is the dead area between Hushed River Valley and Blackrock and we know the road in Blackrock did connect to Milton at one time.  I really wouldn't blame the islanders for not wanting to live right on top of the mine area if they had the option of living a little distance away where the air and water weren't being polluted by the mine itself.  It's not like the distances are huge... Will/Astrid walks the length and breadth of the region several times a run after all.

This is the best explanation I've see so far but the town seems an awful long ways from the nearest coal mine.  Historically, the towns were really close by - they weren't as worried/aware of environment concerns back then.

8 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Didn't the quakes happen way after 1911?

I have no idea. I can't or don't read half the stuff  on the game if I'm honest!🙂  Don't know anything about the forest talkers or anything else either, I skipped most of the side missions too.   I have enough trouble seeing the stuff in inventory  .

I suppose if they happen now they must be a recurring problem ,as with all quakes.

Edited by Leeanda

On 2/4/2022 at 7:59 AM, Pınar51-06 said:

Although ı love reading about history of GBI, ı did not know milton was founded as a coal mining town.

In episode 3 when Astrid was about to enter the Community Hall, she was saying about PV‘Hmm, a mining town’ Now ı wonder did she talking about MT or PV.

PV does have a coal mine just up the hill from Thomson's Crossing so that makes sense.