Polar/Brown Bear in Survival Mode

Willy Pete

I wrote about this once before some time ago as a potential "boss" animal that provides a higher threat/gain in Survival mode but feel like with the Darkwalker challenge we now have something to go off of for the creature's AI.

The way I envision this working is simple: within a new region there would be an area that you can only reach via rope. Inside this area is where the new bear roams and as soon as you enter this area the bear begins to stalk you as it has a very powerful sense of smell. There is nowhere to hide in the bear area, but it would be large enough that you could avoid it if you kept moving. There might be some sort of decoy you could craft from fresh guts and a knife that would act like the spray cans in the Darkwalker challenge.

If the bear catches you, it will kill you. The bear will not bleed out and would have the same or greater HP than the Moose. It will still be deterred with the distress pistol, but aiming at it with anything will cause it to charge like a wolf. If you manage to kill the bear, it will have a wealth of meat and guts and perhaps even its own special hide that could be crafted into a new coat or bedroll that would effectively be an upgrade of the normal versions.

Alternatively, there's no need to go into the bear area and it will never get you unless you do. This would provide another mid to late game challenge for those in Survival mode, one with dangerous consequences if you come unprepared.

Personally, I think the black bears should have been grizzlies from the start. Black bears are usually smaller and the bears in game look more like grizzlies than actual black bears. I don't know, it's just a gripe I have but regarding the op, I think adding a polar bear in its own specific region would be neat. Tankier and stronger than the normal bears we have now, but has a special yield of some type. Now that I think about it, make the liver harvestable. The liver of a polar bear is so packed with I think vitamin A it could kill a man, so maybe use it as some kind of lethal bait for predators?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Polar bear coat offers slight camouflage so less chance of detection.

Hell yea. Each part of the polar bear set (coat, hat, trousers, boots, gloves) gives 5-10%.

Then when you crouch with the whole set, you can catch a rabbit with your bare hands.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

Personally, I think the black bears should have been grizzlies from the start. Black bears are usually smaller and the bears in game look more like grizzlies than actual black bears. I don't know, it's just a gripe I have but regarding the op, I think adding a polar bear in its own specific region would be neat. Tankier and stronger than the normal bears we have now, but has a special yield of some type. Now that I think about it, make the liver harvestable. The liver of a polar bear is so packed with I think vitamin A it could kill a man, so maybe use it as some kind of lethal bait for predators?

I also always see the ingame bear like a grizzly. A black bear should be smaller and more agile. And more black.

Polar bears could be more dangerous even only by their camoflage white color in the white snow background.