The Long Dark: Wildlife Encounters


Recommended Posts

On 8/11/2021 at 1:22 PM, Loonsloon said:

A compilation of some of my most gut-wrenching, nail-biting, & memorable wildlife encounters over two years of survival mode runs.

 

Just wondering on theat why you made fire outside instead of going in the house to warm up?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2021 at 3:10 AM, Leeanda said:

On  A Bad feeling!  

Oh ok I’m confused because there was no fire in that encounter. Are you thinking of Tag Team right after? In that case I wanted to avoid going inside because the moose can despawn. More generally I do fires outside to take advantage of the “outdoor burn bonus”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
51 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

Also he was not warming up in the house and if he had the moose so would of probably despawned but fire is supposed to stop a bear weird

I wish fires stopped bears! Sadly they don't or I'd stand in a circle of fires when I'm shooting them🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They do actually maybe just not when there that close I've never used it as a tactic I've seen it before in myusualme on stalker episode 48 I think it was it was called when good hunting goes bad (lots of swearing though) if suggest you use that as a tactic even when your not in a ring of fire just behind one of a bear is on the other side  but then if you shoot it with now or. Rifle you can aim straight at its eyes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

btw that episode is in desolation point

It's very very rare though, might just be a bug.    

I shoot that bear from the higher end of the Riken cos I know it can get you on the lower end!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 3:14 PM, Leeanda said:

I wish fires stopped bears! Sadly they don't or I'd stand in a circle of fires when I'm shooting them🙂

So my understanding is that bears treat fires sort of like wolves do: if they approach a fire in normal walk they will stop at a certain radius.  But like wolves, this depends upon them being able to see the fire when they are at that radius. If they get close enough to you to enter charge without seeing the fire they will charge you and disregard the fire. In this case the bear charged before it saw the fire. Here’s the first time I saw a bear stop at a fire:

https://youtube.com/shorts/BC77R1RxwJA?feature=share

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Loonsloon said:

So my understanding is that bears treat fires sort of like wolves do: if they approach a fire in normal walk they will stop at a certain radius.  But like wolves, this depends upon them being able to see the fire when they are at that radius. If they get close enough to you to enter charge without seeing the fire they will charge you and disregard the fire. In this case the bear charged before it saw the fire. Here’s the first time I saw a bear stop at a fire:

https://youtube.com/shorts/BC77R1RxwJA?feature=shar

Thanks I'll check it out! !🙂

Edited by Leeanda
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Loonsloon said:

So my understanding is that bears treat fires sort of like wolves do: if they approach a fire in normal walk they will stop at a certain radius.  But like wolves, this depends upon them being able to see the fire when they are at that radius. If they get close enough to you to enter charge without seeing the fire they will charge you and disregard the fire. In this case the bear charged before it saw the fire. Here’s the first time I saw a bear stop at a fire:

https://youtube.com/shorts/BC77R1RxwJA?feature=share

I have had an experience on Stalker Survival Mode where I was able to stand behind a fire and throw several torches at the bear's head.  Eventually I moved closer with a torch and the bear fled.  Maybe I got lucky?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2022 at 9:13 PM, Mig_zvm said:

I have had an experience on Stalker Survival Mode where I was able to stand behind a fire and throw several torches at the bear's head.  Eventually I moved closer with a torch and the bear fled.  Maybe I got lucky?

Interesting that runs counter to everything I know about wolves and bears - when you approach a wolf close enough with a torch it charged you I think. In my don’t throw rocks at bears video, I’m pretty sure the reason he charged was that I staggered into that critical charge radius. But I wasn’t holding a torch. One could do a science episode on this. But having done some of these, I’m now of the mind that I want to know less about what’s ‘behind the curtain’ of TLD, to preserve some of that uncertainty that I have about it. Like when I realized that you could reliably bypass wolves with a torch - they always flee - it broke the game for me and I had to start looking into mods to try to regain immersion. Hinterland would do well to make it such that no technique works 100%. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2022 at 12:33 PM, Loonsloon said:

Interesting that runs counter to everything I know about wolves and bears - when you approach a wolf close enough with a torch it charged you I think. In my don’t throw rocks at bears video, I’m pretty sure the reason he charged was that I staggered into that critical charge radius. But I wasn’t holding a torch. One could do a science episode on this. But having done some of these, I’m now of the mind that I want to know less about what’s ‘behind the curtain’ of TLD, to preserve some of that uncertainty that I have about it. Like when I realized that you could reliably bypass wolves with a torch - they always flee - it broke the game for me and I had to start looking into mods to try to regain immersion. Hinterland would do well to make it such that no technique works 100%. 

Interesting, and I completely agree. Are there any mods that do make wildlife behaviour more realistic?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Interesting, and I completely agree. Are there any mods that do make wildlife behaviour more realistic?

So, there is the Animal Behavior mod that allows you to tweak some settings. I used it in my Mod Soup run. The basic thing I was hoping for was a probabilistic flee when confronted with a torch/fire. The stock wolves are too predictable and need some noise added to their ‘decision making’. I’m not sure that this mod really accomplished it but it succeeded in eroding my confidence in ‘guaranteed’ wolf defence and made the run more fun. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share