Waiting in sleeping bags.

Aztec

Sometimes it would be nice to be able to wait with the warmth bonus of the sleeping bag. Like when i can't sleep in it because i've rested enough but a blizzard is raging and i'm stuck in a car. It seems reasonable.

• Upvote 2

I believe that one has the option to choose to sleep and pass time (obviously not at the same time) in vehicles, beds, or bedrolls.   Take a look at the top center of the UI when you've clicked on a bed or a bedroll or selected the semi-pseudo bedroll (or the bearskin bedroll if you have it in inventory) while in a vehicle.  It defaults to sleep on the left side of the icon, but you can switch it to pass time on the right side of the icon.  In that case, when passing time, you get the warmth bonus of the vehicle, bed, or bedroll while that is in progress. 

Take a look.  It is easy to miss.

If one just uses the pass time selection from the radial menu then one just is passing time but not in  a bed, bedroll, or vehicles as the case may be. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aztec said:

Sometimes it would be nice to be able to wait with the warmth bonus of the sleeping bag. Like when i can't sleep in it because i've rested enough but a blizzard is raging and i'm stuck in a car. It seems reasonable.

You can do that.  Depending on whether or not your carrying a bedroll, the rest function will give you a slight increase in resting temperature depending on the condition of your bedroll.  without a bed roll, at best you will get +3 degrees C warmth bonus from resting in a car.  Standard bedroll in near perfect condtion up to +5 warmth bonus and if you're carrying a bearskin bedroll up to +12 warmth bonus.  if you really wanna max out the warmth, make a fire on the hood of the car, weather permitting and you can turn the inside into a luxurious dry heat sauna!  obviously doesn't work in blizzard or high wind conditions, alas.

• Like 1

Here’s a bit of a tip/trick I use but it does take preparation, time and it’s really only useful for long term survival. 

Personally I hate the weight of a bearskin bedroll but they are very warm. In nearly every region I have at least one stashed in a car, hollowed out tree, or some rock cashe with a snow shelter.  This way if I’m caught out in a blizzard, I need only to make it to my stashed location for the warmth of my bearskin bedroll. 

22 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Here’s a bit of a tip/trick I use but it does take preparation, time and it’s really only useful for long term survival. 

Personally I hate the weight of a bearskin bedroll but they are very warm. In nearly every region I have at least one stashed in a car, hollowed out tree, or some rock cashe with a snow shelter.  This way if I’m caught out in a blizzard, I need only to make it to my stashed location for the warmth of my bearskin bedroll. 

Damn, player!  you are a bear killing machine!  
on a side note, what's the decay rate like when you stash them for a long time.  the warmth bonus of a bearskin bedroll is definitely a big bonus but does to tend to drop as the condition does.  so how often do you have to do repair your stashed items?

@piddy3825

I play stalker and killing bears can be relatively easy once you figure out the tricks. That said, I’ve been killed by a fair amount of bears figuring those tricks out.  Also I played quite a bit in voyager and pretty much memorized most regions and the bear/wolf territory before I jumped into stalker.  I like to kill the bears so I’m not paranoid when traveling and because of the amount is food they provide. 

Rate of decay seems pretty low, what it is exactly I’m not sure. My current run is about 300 days in.  I’ve had to repair a few (FM, HRV, and AC) because I either hadn’t been to that location in a long while (AC, maybe 100 days away) or I used them a lot while I was in the region (HRV and FM). In regions with lots of structures I just keep them stashed in remote areas or near cave systems but don’t use them much. In DP, ML and CH I don’t think I’ve ever used them but needed something to make with the skins, lol bear coat just weighs to damn much. 

Edited by Cranky
  • Like 1